MS releases Xbox One S All Digital edition (No Optical Drive)

I read that as the Gen Z audience asking such an inane question.
How can they survey a test audience to get this answer?

We made an identical xbox but we removed the drive. Everything else is identical except it can't use discs.
Q: isn't this going to cost more than the One S thanks to the added convenience?

Maybe it was a prank call, who knows, it reads like pure sarcasm.

However, it does come with 3 full digital games pre-installed. So it does have some additional value add not included with the disk versions. Save $50 now & get 1 game you have to manually install or wait over 2 weeks & get 3 games pre-installed? Pluses & minuses for each. Most informed buyers will know what's the better deal when they decide which bundled game they want.

All three games come with Gamepass (actually, I think you might have to settle for a newer Forza Horizon on GP) and anyone can get the $1 for three months deal that is "included" with the Sad. All other One S bundles out there for less than the SAD include newer games that DON'T appear in the GP lineup. It's a shit deal top to bottom.

I thought ownership was over and Game Pass was the future? That's what everyone keeps saying.

Gamepass can be a great way to augment your library. But there are some games you love enough that you want to own. Some games rotate out of game pass .

BBC news just had a decent bit on the Xbox sade. Checked their site, but don't see it on there to post.

The analyst actually wasn't clueless.

I saw a teardown of SAD and new Xbox One S (not SAD only) uses a cheap aluminium heat sink.

Is it louder I wonder?

xbs2yjbb.jpg
lp3mjmuoesmfngjwixkx6.jpg

Heres what ifixit had to say about the Xbox One S with optical drive edition cooling:
  • Out comes the system's single 120 mm fan—looking much like a PC case fan, but with some sculpting that's unique to the Xbox One's design.
  • The standard Xbox One had a similarly robust cooling setup, possibly designed to avoid a repeat of the Xbox 360's billion dollar problem.

Heres what ifixit had to say about the Xbox One S with optical drive edition cooling:
  • Out comes the system's single 120 mm fan—looking much like a PC case fan, but with some sculpting that's unique to the Xbox One's design.
  • The standard Xbox One had a similarly robust cooling setup, possibly designed to avoid a repeat of the Xbox 360's billion dollar problem.
That's about previous heatsink with heatpipes. I guess all new S use this cheap aluminium heatsink without heatpipes.

It looked just like the pics you posted, so wasn't sure how it was any different. Are those pics not from the SADE then?

I remember a breakdown of PC GPU costs a few years back. Heatpipes add a surprisingly large amount to cooler costs. Machined aluminium slabs started at a few dollars, heatpipe coolers started much higher, something like 20 dollars, progressing from there for the huge complex behemoths.

At some point it would probably be worth eating fractionally more on your chip yields to save a chunk on your cooler costs.

Last edited:
interesting.. why beef up the cooler? what's the point?

I think it's more that they've "de-beefed" it in the new one. Heat pipes are outstanding at moving heat away from a point - you then transfer it to hundreds of fins so there's massive surface area to conduct to air.

The big slab in the new machines is heavier and looks more imposing but is most likely less effective and cheaper. It's responsible for both transferring heat from the chip and passing it to the air. Fewer materials (one), fewer stages in production, fewer parts, much lower defect rate and almost no assembly (many stages for a heatpipe cooler).

It's all about cost!

Yeah, a single slice of alum extrusion, very little machining necessary, no copper slug, no heat pipes. This is the normal cost reduction when it goes significantly below 100W. We saw this for every consoles.

Back