Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Faith and belief aren't part of technical discussions. The conversation is open until it's confirmed well enough to move on.
I think he meant refusing to believe what Cerny said. Which created a fringe speculation which didn't fit with the interview content.

I think he meant refusing to believe what Cerny said. Which created a fringe speculation which didn't fit with the interview content.
We were questioning each other if we were correct in thinking that's how Cerny is accomplishing it with PS5, no one was calling Cerny a liar. When he didn't allude to it being SSD. We branched a variety of ways it could be implemented with or without SSD. That conversation wasn't wasted. Its the type of discussion people should come to B3D for. If it's just about being right or wrong, there are other forums for that.

edit: I mean, speaking for myself, I learned a lot. I don't know storage very well, and a lot of stuff came out that I wouldn't have had a chance to absorb on my own.

Last edited:
Not read these new articles.
But regarding the wired one, I don't think there was anybody that didn't believe Cerny, but given the author putting in his ideas/thoughts and given what was said there was valid discussions to be had.
It's a new gen, we have no idea how custom, off the shelf any part of the systems are.
I'm not sure why that's even questioned here.

Sounds good, but we shall see. Not even a high-end PC with a fully optimized persistent memory setup can obtain this.
If CPU is indeed the factor / or decompression, as per why we don't see gains on NVME vs SSD PC comparisons, then that should be a focal point of discussion I suspect. Seems to be a bigger bottleneck than whether it's a SSD/ or a fast SSD/ or a ultra fast SSD.

The question he refused to answer was whether it was using pcie4. Not whether it was using solid state storage.

The question he refused to answer was whether it was using pcie4. Not whether it was using solid state storage.

Was he asked? I don't remember Wired asking him about the bussing communication system at all.

Edit: Ok. I see now.
At the moment, Sony won’t cop to exact details about the SSD—who makes it, whether it utilizes the new PCIe 4.0 standard—but Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs. That’s not all. “The raw read speed is important,“ Cerny says, “but so are the details of the I/O [input-output] mechanisms and the software stack that we put on top of them. I got a PlayStation 4 Pro and then I put in a SSD that cost as much as the PlayStation 4 Pro—it might be one-third faster." As opposed to 19 times faster for the next-gen console, judging from the fast-travel demo.

We don't have a full transcript, but nothing in the article or that the author has revealed since indicate Cerny was asked.

Cannot obtain what?

This is pertaining back to Cerny comments about instantaneous game level load times, and Wccftech reiterating on it from the Official PlayStation Magazine. There is currently nothing within the high-end PC space (storage & bandwidth wise) that's offering instantaneous game and/or level loading. If you can point out a modern day PC game (especially open-world game) that has instantaneous level transitioning or no game loading screens, including the technology that's doing it, please let me know.

https://wccftech.com/sony-ultra-high-speed-ssd-key-to-our-next-gen/
An ultra-high-speed SSD is the key to our next generation. Our vision is to make loading screens a thing of the past, enabling creators to build new and unique gameplay experiences.

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/
To demonstrate, Cerny fires up a PS4 Pro playing Spider-Man, a 2018 PS4 exclusive that he worked on alongside Insomniac Games. On the TV, Spidey stands in a small plaza. Cerny presses a button on the controller, initiating a fast-travel interstitial screen. When Spidey reappears in a totally different spot in Manhattan, 15 seconds have elapsed. Then Cerny does the same thing on a next-gen devkit connected to a different TV. What took 15 seconds now takes less than one: 0.8 seconds, to be exact.

Last edited:
Sounds good, but we shall see. Not even a high-end PC with a fully optimized persistent memory setup can obtain this.

I get the impression that hardware alone is not the answer here. Consoles benefit from tight integration of hardware and software, which from that Cerny quote sounds like what they tuned to achieve this kind of speed. PCs are cutting edge hardware bogged down by inefficiencies that arise from them not being strictly gaming hardware, but customisable machines that are made to do all sorts of things.

TBH it's why I find PC hardware so boring, it's very one dimensional in that you take cutting edge <technology> and slot it into a decade plus old slot that has protocol and software baggage because it was designed in a different time for a different purpose. Not that consoles are entirely immune from this as they don't reinvent everything each time they are designed.

This is pertaining back to Cerny comments about instantaneous game level load times, and Wccftech reiterating on it from the Official PlayStation Magazine. There is currently nothing within the high-end PC space (storage & bandwidth wise) that's offering instantaneous game and/or level loading. If you can point out a modern day PC game (especially open-world game) that has instantaneous level transitioning or no game loading screens, including the technology that's doing it, please let me know.

https://wccftech.com/sony-ultra-high-speed-ssd-key-to-our-next-gen/

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

I have a supposedly blazing fast m2 ssd, but in practice it does not work that way for games. If Sony has a custom solution that delivers real results in eliminating load times and streaming issues, I'd say that'll be the killer feature of next gen. I'd choose that over a better gpu any day.

I think this goes trough by some sort of RAM buffering (maybe 32 giga cheap slow DDR4) that mirrors on the fly as needed some part of an EXTERNAL removable SSD (32, 64 or 128) that works also as card trough which games are purchased. So PS5 can be diskless, cost less, and we are back to cards... Quick or slow cards depends on the game seller... For the happiness of GameStop and such... online purchased games will stay into a normal HD and so -paradoxally- will usually load slower (but cost also less) .... Also online purchased games can be mirrored by RAM buffering but will stay on the HD so generally will work slower.. Really curious to see how Sony implements this... .. Love this kind of secret sauces...

Last edited:
Except you aren't because you still need a disk to store the OS, DLC etc. Also look at the length devs go to to shrink Nintendo Switch games because the larger carts are so more expensive. Games would be massively more expensive if they come on 64GB or 128GB carts.

Would also be interesting to know how much of time of a loading screen is actually spent transferring data from disk into memory and how much of it is setting up the rest of the game world.

We've been waiting on dev kit leaks on ps5 and Scarlett.
But what about Stadia? It's due this year and they need people to start porting games.
So where's the dev docs, api details etc.

Does it have any custom commands, it can stack gpu but is that enough for RTRT depending on how next gen implements it?

It's technically the start of next gen and we're hearing nothing. I'm talking about dev/studio level not Google marketing whenever they talk next

It's not, and it doesn't really belong in this thread any more than discussing the hardware of any other cloud gaming platform - they're not consoles. Feel free to start a new thread discussing Stadia or cloud-gaming hardware.
I guess we have a different view of what constitutes next gen.
The games and the features that will be supported based on the hardware it's running on is my view. (and pretty much anybody that has written about it like DF)

I was talking about the hardware/api not the streaming side of Stadia which would belong in different thread.
But I'll submit to your view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back