New Nintendo Switch hardware versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm i wonder how game streaming will affect that.

phones have modem, so it can stream anywhere. while switch only have rather crappy wifi (why the heck did they even limit the channel? o_O)

I doubt game Streaming affects that. It's not like 4G is even universal everywhere now and even if it is, most likely the infrastructure can't cope with hundreds of users streaming games, with good quality image, on train/underground line.

Using hardware from 2015 when they released in 2017?

even from 2015 it shouldnt have that few wifi channels...

or they thinks as they have complete 2Ghz wifi channels, people will simply use 2GHz when their 5GHz wifi was not detected? so "more 5GHz wifi channels" was put on super low priority.

i wonder if it will still be like that in the new switch "pro". Maybe not a technical issue but licensing issue? maybe using all 5GHz channels need more licensing?

Nintendo quietly sped Switch loading times up with its 8.0.0 update
April 29, 2019
Nintendo released its 8.0.0 update for the Switch two weeks ago, introducing a range of new features including a VR Mode and the ability to transfer saved data between systems. It seems as though the developer has snuck in another hidden feature that didn’t make the official changelog, as analysts are noting a decrease in loading times for some flagship titles.
Enthusiasts are stating that this is due to a feature dubbed ‘boost mode’ that temporarily cranks the CPU clock from 1GHz to 1.75GHz at certain intervals. This helps the system work harder when loading to help cut times down, but games will require an update before they can make use of the oddly hidden feature.
https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/damien-cox/nintendo-quietly-sped-switch-loading-times-up-with-its-8-0-0-update/

Seems like a smart way to utilize thermal headroom during those times with limited SOC utilization across the board. Might be a neat thing to have available for devs in general (i.e. other consoles) to use for specific loading segments (not in-game streaming).

Hah! A couple of us were suggesting exactly this kind of thing for next gen consoles recently.

I said bin the chips for higher CPU and GPU clocks than you would normally run them. Buy buying a bog standard of the shelf chip binned for much higher clocks Nintendo have this ability by default.

Good work Nintendo, you plumber pushers.

Getting OT, but they might not have to bin too aggressively if they can just offer a specific mode boost mode for a couple threads or cores while clocking the rest low since it’s really about keeping thermal generation under control during these particular load sequences where much of the SOC is potentially idle. (Can’t recall how Ryzen or intel chips boost modes operate specifically).

Things might be different with GPU decompression, I suppose.

btw i just upclocked my switch from 768MHz docked to > 900 Mhz and the fan doesnt even run at max speed. It seems Switch while docked do have thermal headroom for higher clocks. It really helps in some games.

i wonder, if thats the "secret sauce" nintendo used to render BOTW in 3D for labo VR? They upclocked the portable mode?

the new switch probably would be cooler AND quieter, even at higher clock. While new games will run old switch in higher clocks to get the performance closer?

Do you know how close to max speed the fan runs while docked with standard clock speeds vs your overclock? It does seem curious that Nintendo would intentionally run the fan well below its capabilities. It makes me think that we could see higher performance profiles become available to developers in a future OS update. If there is adequate headroom there, why not speed that fan up and allow for a performance boost. With games like Doom Eternal making its way to Switch, I would love to see Nintendo pull the trigger on this. Even in portable mode, if a developer is willing to drain the battery in 2 hours instead of 3 with their game, why not give them the performance to do so.

Even as it is, battery life by and large is probably closer to 2 than it is to 3 hours unfortunately. I certainly have never gotten 3 hours of battery life out of any of my games.

Even as it is, battery life by and large is probably closer to 2 than it is to 3 hours unfortunately. I certainly have never gotten 3 hours of battery life out of any of my games.

Hmm, I usually get 3 hours almost exactly with games like Zelda and Doom. Perhaps your battery is a bit weak.

In the meanwhile, Nintendo just stated they're not releasing new hardware versions of the Switch at E3 or earlier.

Reactions: Ika
In the meanwhile, Nintendo just stated they're not releasing new hardware versions of the Switch at E3 or earlier.

Technically they have not been "at E3" for years now. So there's a chance... :p

Getting OT, but they might not have to bin too aggressively if they can just offer a specific mode boost mode for a couple threads or cores while clocking the rest low since it’s really about keeping thermal generation under control during these particular load sequences where much of the SOC is potentially idle. (Can’t recall how Ryzen or intel chips boost modes operate specifically).

Things might be different with GPU decompression, I suppose.

If it's only to speed static "loading" , then not all chips need to be equal as long as the fixed base performance is met. This boost is value add and not dependable for game logic or performance.

I think is where the previous boost clocks discussion got stuck, this seems an easier win but opens the discussion of were it could go if designed with the hardware.

If it's only to speed static "loading" , then not all chips need to be equal as long as the fixed base performance is met. This boost is value add and not dependable for game logic or performance.

I think is where the previous boost clocks discussion got stuck, this seems an easier win but opens the discussion of were it could go if designed with the hardware.

I think it'd be hard for the console vendor to know if developers choose to do game logic during loading periods. For this reason, I think they'd want any clock changes to be uniform amongst systems given the same choices by developers.

Bit of a change of topic, but a TV only switch - no screen, battery, dock etc that was cheaper but with boosted clocks might tap into a slightly larger market. I don't game on the move, but a cheap traditional console would get me buying Nintendo games again.

I think it'd be hard for the console vendor to know if developers choose to do game logic during loading periods. For this reason, I think they'd want any clock changes to be uniform amongst systems given the same choices by developers.

I was not trying to say it would be automatic only that it need not be part of chip binning. Let's assume it's totally manually selected via API in the SDK.

Merely if the boost is only a value add like this then the specific performance could be left to whatever the chip can support and not additionally affect binning and cost. Different drives and components already exist in console with slight differences, this seems to fit that category. It won't affect the game itself but could boost certain parts such as initial load.

If this becomes a mode for use within games then it needs to be fully achievable on all chips and raises the tdp issues previously mentioned.

Going off the OT but I wonder if it could be used in combination with game OS states. For example the Xbox has ~7 cores usually but if the game is not in focus I believe this is 4 and the GPU allocation drops. Given the developer has different resource allocations enforced I could see the CPU being boosted and GPU reduced when on the dashboard to ensure as smooth an experience as possible. Hopefully Zen and fast storage will actually fix that by brute force but as an example, the CPU could be used more if you know the GPU is going to be held more idle.

If it delivers a user experience benefit worth the effort and complexity is a another thing.
Just random musings whilst we wait for the big leak that must happen soon.

Bit of a change of topic, but a TV only switch - no screen, battery, dock etc that was cheaper but with boosted clocks might tap into a slightly larger market. I don't game on the move, but a cheap traditional console would get me buying Nintendo games again.

That is the traditional Nintendo console without the gimmick, I don´t think Nintendo wants to compete in this segment for the time being.

100% portable - fine
Portable with tv out - probable
A stationary console 1/4 the power of the One or the ps4, without the large number of 3 party games, just for exclusives? just wait for the cheap Swich and never move it away from the telly

Such a box supporting TV functionality a la Android boxes would have value. It'd just have to be priced low enough to be a TV box that supports Nintendo games as opposed to a games console that supports TV streaming apps.

That OS update really improved load times in Zelda, tried it this week-end, it makes teleporting in the game much nicer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back