Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because this process focuses on real data points and working with production code it removes a lot of guess work out of the equation. I think this was successful for them with Scorpio and such a process should also give them good success for next generation.

Yeah, but this method only looks backwards. You can't invent new methods when using this process.

Yeah, but this method only looks backwards. You can't invent new methods when using this process.
Yea. You’re right in that sense. They’ll also need to do some things forward looking as well.

The bit of saving grace is that if console is following PC, then the direction is being paved in advance

Last edited:
Yea. You’re right in that sense. They’ll also need to do some things forward looking as well.

The bit of saving grace is that if console is following PC, then the direction is being paved in advance
wish they'd follow the PC on more ways. It's been several generations console owners have been saying "The generational change is going to make all console games run at 60fps". "The next is going to be the 60fps generation". And the reality is totally different. Meanwhile, on the PC side, you have laptops weighing 1.8Kg featuring 144Hz and 240Hz screens..

High frame rate hipsters are the worst gamers in the world.
I do think that the current high frame monitors trend is bit overrated, but I have to admit that as you increase FOV and resolution, you have to increase frame rate too or your 8k video will drop in quality to 720p as soon as there is any tiny movement

We are about 30 days out from E3 which I suspect we will get some spec numbers. Are we doing our final predictions here in this thread for the Xbox ones? Or another thread separate from this one ?

High frame rate hipsters are the worst gamers in the world.

Indeed. Super silly folks, some even demand that consoles should target +120hz on games and wont understand why it would be epic waste of performance

If they cant adapt to some lag or lower fps, then they just should stay on PC.

Is 60fps smoother than 30? Yes.

Is 30 enough for most games played with pad? Yes.

I just wish that there will be option for 1080p+higher details, even 4K is kind of waste of performance

I'd like 120hz to be an option, but I'd rather just have 60 be the baseline and have 30 relegated to the more cinematic genres. I don't think 60hz is an insane request, either. Games have updated at that rate for most of the history of console games, and it wasn't until games went 3d that it was acceptable for them to run at less.

I just wish that there will be option for 1080p+higher details, even 4K is kind of waste of performance
Significantly more labour to do this correctly. And the challenge for this generation is getting lighting and shadows to the next level which I don’t think there is enough power to do correctly. Even then absent of that, the increase in graphical options may not be noticeable either; whereas 4K with high res textures and a good HDR implementation is likely cheaper and can provide better ability to resolve textures at a distance giving that next gen look.

If we want more details or better lighting and shadows that will have to come next gen.

I'd like 120hz to be an option, but I'd rather just have 60 be the baseline and have 30 relegated to the more cinematic genres. I don't think 60hz is an insane request, either. Games have updated at that rate for most of the history of console games, and it wasn't until games went 3d that it was acceptable for them to run at less.
Fortnite at 120fps on PS5 and XB2 is going to happen. You can quote me. :yep2:

We are about 30 days out from E3 which I suspect we will get some spec numbers. Are we doing our final predictions here in this thread for the Xbox ones? Or another thread separate from this one ?
I'll start with the Scarlett family
Xbox Anaconda : $499, Zen 2, 3.2 GHZ, 8 core / 16 threads CPU, 12 Teraflops AMD custom GPU, 24 Gig GDDR6 RAM, 1 TB SSD, Direct X Raytracing
Xbox LockHart: $349, Zen 2, 3.2 GHZ, 8 core / 16 threads CPU, 6 Teraflops AMD custom GPU, 12 Gig GDDR6 RAM, 500 GB SSD, Direct X Raytracing

Last edited:
hmm my optimistic predictions -30% should be close ;)

$499 - Xbox Anaconda : Custom Zen 2 2.4 Ghz, 8c/16t, ~9TF custom navi, 1 TB SSD, 16 GB of memory, hardware support for ML/AI, hardware support for RT
$399 - Xbox Lockhart: Custom Zen 2 2.4 Ghz, 8c/16t ~6TF custom navi, 1 TB SSD, 12 GB of memory, hardware support for RT

my price points feel stretched but w/e

Updated with prices. Honestly to have Lockhart at $399 is a big risk since you never know Sony would price their PS5 the same but with much beefier specs, it would be a titanic disaster of epic proportion for MS.

Updated with prices. Honestly to have Lockhart at $399 is a big risk since you never know Sony would price their PS5 the same but with much beefier specs, it would be a titanic disaster of epic proportion for MS.
Sony shoot the $450… with the "power" or little less of the $500 MS. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back