Trying to upgrade Bubbles, take the one after the last one...

Wow, just f-ing WOW! :D

Got it all together and back at 1:30 last night, (about 3 hours), and she booted up fine to my old Windows install. I haven't even been in the BIOS, or UEFI, or whatever the mobo setup utility is called now but I did install Steam and ran GTA V before I passed out last night. It took longer to play through the opening than it did to download! (Ok, not really...but it actually was pretty close)

My son came down and we ran the benchmark together and were both just drooling at the solid 60fps through the whole thing, but that was just with FXAA on. When I cranked it up to 8xMSAA on both regular and water reflections it slowed her down to about what she used to run it at, but at 4xMSAA on both she ran it with the lowest we both saw of 54fps, and that was during the car explosion.

I'm insanely happy with it, but still working out a few bugs. Like I never installed the mobo drivers so the USB ports are a little funky and she's running DDR4 3000 but thinks she's running 2400 right now.

Still, DAMN! That's my impressions after just literally pulling the old bits out and just putting the new ones in and updating the graphics driver. Nothing else, no tweaking or even normal setting up!

Walking tall and laughing easy, as soon as I can figure out the USB situation I'll post some shame pictures that I promised myself I had to post of how bad Bubbles had gotten, then just a couple of her all put together. (I was tired and just wanted to try her, sorry.)

Thanks for everyone help over all the years of me trying to upgrade. It finally happened. :)

Oh, funny sidenote. I'm pretty sure this is the first time in about 17 years that I've actually picked out the parts and bought them for my own PC. It's a good feeling, I like the freedom it brings. I think I'm gonna have to get my own revenue stream going, pretty soon the kids will be able to take care of themselves and I'll be able to do something. ;)

Nwn5jKF.jpg

p01aXb6.jpg

W9pjbek.jpg

Quick update, OMMFG!!!! :O

INCREDIBLE upgrade! Went from unable to run anything to able to run anything and do it better than I ever have before! Been being totally blown away by the performance of the Ry5 1600 and the 580 ain't no slouch either. For a bargain upgrade it sure feels top shelf as all get out!

Thanks again for the inputs, hand holding, putting up with, and general time spent on me whining/thinking/dreaming of this upgrade. If it's any consolation it's all I ever thought it would be plus so very much more!

I'm getting back up to speed, gaming is FUN again! Only trouble now is I don't have enough time to play, but I'm not gonna blow off my duties to my family after they were so nice as to get me my dream upgrade like that. Found out I could save a ton of time by limiting myself to 10 minutes of Facebook a day, and I try and keep it well under that as I've found it to be a huuuge time saver!

Been benching GTA V at different settings for giggles, and I've been giggling my fool head off! I've never had it run so well or smoothly before, it's like a dream version of the game to me! (They all are, it's so wonderful!)

Thanks again all, Bubbles and me are gamers once again! 8)

Damn, it hasn't even been a year yet? I couldn't recall when I upgraded so thought I'd cheat and check. Just added a 500GB NVME to game on and that's kicked my gaming performance back up to nicely even on stuff like Cyberpunk 2077, quite pleased. Put her in a new case and everything. Next project is to replace the temporary cardboard bit I used to replace the plastic window I busted trying to put a 120mm fan on the side, (the cardboard does have the fan on its side, just it's old/loud/gets REALLY dusty/filled with dog hair)

We got a big package. They reinforced the sides of the crates with this wood that is thinner than cardboard but stronger, I though PERFECT TO MAKE A SIDE!

Picked up a new fan, dust cover (yes, I CAN learn), and found some stains and polyurethane in the basement. Cheated and ordered a 120mm hole saw since I always wanted one and know I'll be using it in the future and I'm thinking it's time to make my case look a little prettier and sound a whole lot nicer.

Just gotta get a few projects done around the house before I can play with it, so I'm hoping by Friday. My other option is to paint the wood either flat black, white, or gloss red since those are the paints I currently have..but I figure the wood with the darkest stain I got would probably look best. :)

Turns out the 5600x3d will be $229 and (at least in the u.s) be sold exclusively through Microcentre
Saw a bit about that on GamersNexus. They just opened up a Microcenter in Indianapolis which is a little over 3 hours away. Think I'll stick to either Chicago or Westmont, they're around an hour. (I feel spoiled with MicroCenters!)

Think it'll be any good? I might wait to see if it drops sub-$200....

EDITED BITS: Ok, this freaking tempts me!

Micro Center will also sell a $329 bundle with the six-core 12-thread Ryzen 5 56003XD, an ASUS B550-Plus TUF motherboard, and 16GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 memory.

That let me pass down my current cpu/mobo/ram to some needy family member.

Last edited:
Saw a bit about that on GamersNexus. They just opened up a Microcenter in Indianapolis which is a little over 3 hours away. Think I'll stick to either Chicago or Westmont, they're around an hour. (I feel spoiled with MicroCenters!)

Think it'll be any good? I might wait to see if it drops sub-$200....

EDITED BITS: Ok, this freaking tempts me!

That let me pass down my current cpu/mobo/ram to some needy family member.

It'll likely be great in games if the 5800x3D versus 5800x is anything to go by. Especially true if you don't Overclock (I never OC the CPU anymore).

Regards,
SB

Nice.
I've been awfully tempted to bump from my 5600X to 5800X3D but the price has stayed annoyingly stable a smidgen above what I think is 'gotta get it' price.
I've been looking for the 5600 to drop below $100us to replace my 1600, this seems like a better option.

Or if I want to go cheap and easy, MicroCenter has the 3600 for $79us and for $6us more they'll ship it! $92us after taxes for an Ryzen 5 3600 and I'm tempted, someone tell me to hold out for a 5600!

Or if I want to go cheap and easy, MicroCenter has the 3600 for $79us and for $6us more they'll ship it! $92us after taxes for an Ryzen 5 3600 and I'm tempted, someone tell me to hold out for a 5600!
Don't go less than 5000 series Ryzen. I'd recommend a 5700X for 8 core to extend the life of your upgrade.

My wife decided we're going to drive down to Tennessee tomorrow to see Mike Campbell and the Dirty Knobs. She's a big fan, I sort of like 'em. (Mike Campbell was Tom Petty's guitarist and my wife has been a fan for 30+ years)

I'm against every single thing about this trip except for the fact that it takes us straight through Indianapolis and their newly opened Microcenter. Went perusing there just now and saw this:

1696698431715.png

Am I missing something or is this the upgrade I've been waiting for? Hoping they have a bargain open box GPU again like last time I upgraded. :D

EDITED BITS: Just noticed they have a cheaper option too:

1696699303729.png
About $30us for 2x8GB of PC3200, so a bit cheaper.

Last edited:
Back