Movie Reviews 2.0

Agreed. I think Silent Hill was a pretty successful adaptation too. The second one was poor, but the first was solid, scary, and faithful to the spirit of the games.

I once tried to watch it whilst under the influence of a powerful psychedelic, and I do not recommend.

Please do tell us more!!! :D

I thought the Silent Hill movie came across like it was made by someone who spent loads of time studying the visual intricacies of the games but never bothered to look below the surface. It was also a complete mess in terms of pacing. I really like Sean Bean, but he did nothing but slow down the film to a crawl at regular intervals. The exposition dump right before the end also happened to be one of the least elegant pieces of film making I can probably think of. I respect the film because someone took the material at least somewhat seriously and spent some serious coin making it, but in terms of tone and feel, Jacob's Ladder (which was a major inspiration for the games) was actually a much better Silent Hill film.

Endgame was a fantastic finale, thoroughly enjoyable the entire way through.

Should not have happened. They simply should have left that moment where Cap didn't return then switch to him dancing with Carter in the 40's

Two days ago I watched The Addams Family (the movie from 1991). It was my first time and I liked the movie, I think it was very entertaining.

You know what some people say, that things from our childhood are not necessarily better, it's just the nostalgia factor, and I also think this plays an important part, but... I didn't even have nostalgia for this movie because I wasn't allowed to watch him when I was a kid, so... Can't we say that some older movies had that thing that modern movies lack? Some kind of secret sauce, maybe. :D

Indeed. And it's not exactly a rarity either. Films like The Terminator, The Thing, Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, Ghostbusters, Robocop, Tremors or Alien have virtually airtight scripts. Now compare those films to the blockbusters of today. Those tend to fall apart the moment you give 'em as much as a tiny amount of thought. Well, unless we're talking about films like Terminator Genesys which never made any sense to begin with.

Recently watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit again (Haven't seen it since 1988 when it was in theaters) and it was just astonishing. I think comedies from back in the day like Roger Rabbit and The Addams Family also really benefit from the fact that even though they were considered "kids movies" back in the day, they weren't solely intended for kids.

I know, old man yelling at clouds and all that :)

Last edited:
There’s lots of amazing stuff made today though. Inside Out and many similar movies (Up, Wall-E etc) from the 90s to now have been consistently great. And certainly superhero movies have gotten better ... but above all, tv series have improved tremendously!

Two days ago I watched The Addams Family (the movie from 1991). It was my first time and I liked the movie, I think it was very entertaining.

You know what some people say, that things from our childhood are not necessarily better, it's just the nostalgia factor, and I also think this plays an important part, but... I didn't even have nostalgia for this movie because I wasn't allowed to watch him when I was a kid, so... Can't we say that some older movies had that thing that modern movies lack? Some kind of secret sauce, maybe. :D
Yes it still a great movie as well as the sequel. RIP Raul Julia. BTW the game on SNES is great, too.

I've been thinking about the movie and how I thought that it must feel strangely warm to live in a place like that, in a house with so much history for the same big family, whose members are buried right there.

I'm not a Goth (I may only have a liking for mystery and fantasy, though), and I don't even believe in the afterlife, but when I saw the graveyard and Morticia was talking about some family members that were buried there, I didn't find that creepy, I just imagined the warmth I mentioned before. Kind of weird...

There’s lots of amazing stuff made today though. Inside Out and many similar movies (Up, Wall-E etc) from the 90s to now have been consistently great. And certainly superhero movies have gotten better ... but above all, tv series have improved tremendously!

Sure. Too bad Pixar's kinda crap now. I also don't think the more recent movies like Brave, Inside Out or Coco compare very favorably to the company's greats either. And while it's nice that Superhero movies have gotten better, that's almost literally all we have now. Superhero movies and sequels. Not to mention all the good superhero movies look and feel alike by design because that's how the Marvel Studios want them (which is perfectly understandable of course).

I tried to watch "The Wandering Earth" this weekend. China's most expensive and most successful film apparently. It's bloody awful. The script, the acting, large parts of the CGI - all god awful. For the life of me I cannot understand how this pile of garbage isn't getting slammed by critics the way a Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich movie would. The science of Armageddon actually isn't that stupid. (just last year a scientist landed an unmanned vehicle on a comet. Unfortunately none of that mattered because he wore the wrong t-shirt) The science in Wandering Earth is borderline offensive.

Sure. Too bad Pixar's kinda crap now. I also don't think the more recent movies like Brave, Inside Out or Coco compare very favorably to the company's greats either. And while it's nice that Superhero movies have gotten better, that's almost literally all we have now. Superhero movies and sequels. Not to mention all the good superhero movies look and feel alike by design because that's how the Marvel Studios want them (which is perfectly understandable of course).

I tried to watch "The Wandering Earth" this weekend. China's most expensive and most successful film apparently. It's bloody awful. The script, the acting, large parts of the CGI - all god awful. For the life of me I cannot understand how this pile of garbage isn't getting slammed by critics the way a Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich movie would. The science of Armageddon actually isn't that stupid. (just last year a scientist landed an unmanned vehicle on a comet. Unfortunately none of that mattered because he wore the wrong t-shirt) The science in Wandering Earth is borderline offensive.

Wandering Earth was the most ridiculous thing I’ve seen in recent years. I couldn’t believe my luck when it popped out on Netflix so soon, as I’d heard about it being the biggest Chinese movie ever etc etc. But good lord it was rubbish.

Nope. Surprisingly It's really quite boring. There are some chuckle-worthy scenes of course. Like someone firing a gun at the eye of Jupiter out of anger:)

But hey, it's freen on Netflix, and for some reason it's gotten a relatively warm critical reception. Maybe I'm the problem.

Last edited:
Back