Movie Reviews 2.0

Replicas... terrible in every way. No redeemable value for anything it did and was a waste of an hour or so. Even a fan of Keanu Reeves will get nothing from it since he has no emotional range in what should come across as a highly emotional story.
Is he playing the cyborg that he is in real life?

That Pikachu detective thing with that voice ... also quite a shock

D5Z6JFJXkAAjdhW.jpg

Avengers Endgame : Incredibly entertaining and satisfying, but better not search for coherency with that time travel stuff (like always).

But what a show ! And what an impressive cast.

Director Jeff Fowler says there will be a redesign of the Sonic character. The movie was originally slated for release in November 2019, yet no delay has been announced. I have to wonder just how much can they fix in the next 5 months considering it's CGI heavy, not to mention the obvious merchandise will have to be adjusted too unless it was based more on the game and cartoon and less on the movie.

Well, it's just one horribly cheap looking CGI character. It's also just in a trailer. Who knows how far along post production was at that point. Should be doable in 5 months, shouldn't it? I mean Weta cranked out 3 effects-laden Hobbit movies in 3 years.

Last edited:
Just the fact that he made a whole movie, released a trailer, never realised that it looked so absolutely SHIT until people went crazy about it, and then made the decision of redesigning the character (for the second time now!) and RE-RENDERING the CGI in a pretty much completed movie, is really Peak Hollywood.

It's a marriage between Peak Sonic and Peak Hollywood which is even worse. I mean 80% of the Sonic games that came out once the Dreamcast era began were crap. The game studios didn't get any do-overs unfortuantely, but someone had to realize that they were fucking up royally, right?

Just the fact that he made a whole movie, released a trailer, never realised that it looked so absolutely SHIT until people went crazy about it, and then made the decision of redesigning the character (for the second time now!) and RE-RENDERING the CGI in a pretty much completed movie, is really Peak Hollywood.
That. How come NO ONE realised/said that the design was way off?! There's so many people behind a movie, that it makes it very difficult for me to think that nobody saw that... and that makes me think that maybe all this was done on purpose just to get people talking about the movie and a bigger audience.

That. How come NO ONE realised/said that the design was way off?! There's so many people behind a movie, that it makes it very difficult for me to think that nobody saw that... and that makes me think that maybe all this was done on purpose just to get people talking about the movie and a bigger audience.
Improbable. But these days, nothing shocks me anymore.

But detective Pikachu got plenty of positive buzz because it looked charming and not like hot garbage. The whole thing just reeks of the same old approach that has ruined almost all video game film adaptations. Some clueless people at the top ultimately had no faith in the thing they were making and tried to change it for the sake of appealing to some imaginary bigger audience. It's why Street Fighter The Motion Picture focused on Guile and Kylie Minogue starred as Cammie White. It's why Doom didn't have hell. And it's why Resident Evil had an emotionless non-character called Alice who basically did a lot of kicking.

Heck, the only Western game adaptation (I say Western because there are some Japanese video game adaptations that nailed it. The Phoenix Wright movie was brilliant) that somehow got it right was probaly Dead or Alive.

Last edited:
Agreed. I think Silent Hill was a pretty successful adaptation too. The second one was poor, but the first was solid, scary, and faithful to the spirit of the games.

I once tried to watch it whilst under the influence of a powerful psychedelic, and I do not recommend.

Back