Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [pre E3 2019] *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't 24GB gddr6 require 384bit memory bus? That sounds unlikely for console but if that happes, awesome.

Xbox One X already uses a 384bit memory bus with 12GB GDDR5 (retail consoles) and 24GB GDDR5 (Scorpio dev-kits).

24GB GDDR6 / 384bit bus doesn't seem like much of a stretch to believe for next-gen consoles, especially for Anaconda, and perhaps PS5,
unless the reddit rumor of 8GB HBM2 + 16GB DDR4 (using HBCC to tie the memory pools together) for PS5 is true.

Is there an idiot's guide to clamshell? Inc pros and cons?

TIA
Any gddr5/6 can have 2 chips connected together to act exactly as a single chip. They are soldered back to back on each side of the board. So a 256bit bus is 8 chips normally, or 16 chips clamshell. The ps4 did that at launch, and reduced it back to 8 chip once it was possible.

Pro: Twice the capacity for twice the price. No change to the SoC. No change to memory width or number of signals coming out of the SoC.

Con: More expensive than using single chips having twice the capacity. So it's a last ressort when higher capacities don't exist yet. Another con is the speed is a little slower than spec, the ps4 had to use 6gbps chips clocked at 5.5gbps. And another con is having to cool both sides of the board.

Xbox One X already uses a 384bit memory bus with 12GB GDDR5 (retail consoles) and 24GB GDDR5 (Scorpio dev-kits).

24GB GDDR6 / 384bit bus doesn't seem like much of a stretch to believe for next-gen consoles, especially for Anaconda, and perhaps PS5,
unless the reddit rumor of 8GB HBM2 + 16GB DDR4 (using HBCC to tie the memory pools together) for PS5 is true.

TU102's PCB needs to be very complex to guide those 12 chips, and pro overclockers are saying that GDDR6 is a lot more demanding than GDDR5 for the PCB's arrangement.

TU102's PCB needs to be very complex to guide those 12 chips, and pro overclockers are saying that GDDR6 is a lot more demanding than GDDR5 for the PCB's arrangement.
Can you elaborate more on this? Which video cards have GDDR6 that can be overclocked, I didn't know we had any yet? Is there a blog post/story that we can follow?

I'm still not seeing that much of a detriment of using GDDR6 for a 2020 product when Nvidia was using it in 2018 products.

IIRC she said exactly the same thing about AMD's relationships with MS/Xbox during CES...don't read too much into this..

Well why wouldn't she say the same thing about Xbox ? They also a customer with a dedicated team working on there chip.

Well why wouldn't she say the same thing about Xbox ? They also a customer with a dedicated team working on there chip.
It was a topic about their partnership with Sony. She is giving each of AMD's partners their spotlight. From Google with Stadia, MS at CES, and now Sony. But more importantly they are doing more than just providing off-the-shelf components, they have been signalling to potential customers that they are the go to semi conductor company for semi-custom solutions, thus the reference to secret sauce.

The biggest take away should have been the number of large volume deals that AMD is cutting. This builds investor confidence and we should see good growth from AMD because of these secured deals.

You should look at AMD's stock price over the last 5 years.

Then, why was it worthy enough to post this in here? o_O:D

It was a topic about their partnership with Sony. She is giving each of AMD's partners their spotlight. From Google with Stadia, MS at CES, and now Sony. But more importantly they are doing more than just providing off-the-shelf components, they have been signalling to potential customers that they are the go to semi conductor company for semi-custom solutions, thus the reference to secret sauce.

The biggest take away should have been the number of large volume deals that AMD is cutting. This builds investor confidence and we should see good growth from AMD because of these secured deals.

You should look at AMD's stock price over the last 5 years.

Well that's exactly what I thought and why I posted it. The post you quoting me on was a response to Ike.

I post the link for the reasons you saying. Ike says it means nothing because they said the same thing about Xbox so I say why wouldn't they. This whole exchange has just confused the crap out of me. :runaway:

Last edited:
I haven't seen her say anything similar about stadia, no mention of long time work on customizations and secret sauce.

Do we have her quote about MS next gen to compare?

Maybe there are hints to decode...

I haven't seen her say anything similar about stadia, no mention of long time work on customizations and secret sauce.

Do we have her quote about MS next gen to compare?

Maybe there are hints to decode...
No hints.
Even prior to CES she said that Sony and ms has secret sauce.

As long as it falls under their semi custom devision I expect her to make these sorts of comments. She has to sell AMD same way ms and Sony need to talk up their products.

She will say it again for xbox once Ms talks about it

Actual quote:
“What we have done with Sony is really architect something for their application, for their special sauce,” she said. “It’s a great honor for us. We’re really excited about what the next generation PlayStation will do.”
Nothing in there particular about PS5's performance or features; only AMD's ability to work long term to create a semiconductor solution for Sony's product. Though phrased in a way that the fanboys can get all excited. ;)

Actual quote:

Nothing in there particular about PS5's performance or features; only AMD's ability to work long term to create a semiconductor solution for Sony's product. Though phrased in a way that the fanboys can get all excited. ;)
adding to this;
It's not on Lisa to communicate on behalf of their partners - and their partners would never clear such a communication. It's much too sloppy to have another company make announcements on your behalf. She really is just communicating on behalf of AMD for AMD's benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back