2560x1080 ultra widescreen monitors any good?

Hi,

As per the topic title, are these monitors any good for gaming?

I want to get back into pc gaming a bit but without breaking the bank. I'm thinking about replacing my r9 290 with a rtx 2060 as that card isn't that expensive and seems to be great for 1080p/1440p gaming.

I've got a 24" 16:10 Dell ultrasharp. Great monitor as far as I'm concerned but for the past couple of years I had my PC hooked up to my tv for gaming. At my new place this isn't possible yet so I'm looking to upgrade my monitor to something a bit bigger.

Looking at Amazon I saw a 34" lg ultrawide for around $400 which doesn't sound bad. I'll be losing some vertical resolution but I got the shittiest 27" 1080p monitor at work and that never bothered me much (the lack of IQ is a much bigger issue..). I'll be pretty much only going gaming and browsing on it.

Do games these days all support 2560x1080? Resolution isn't too bad on monitors this size? Or maybe I'm better off with a 1440p ~32" 16:9 monitor? Anything else I should be aware of?

I'm not looking to game competitively. Just want to play SP @ 60fps.

I'e had my 34" 2560x1080 for a few years now and love it. It's very rare nowadays there isn't Ultrawide support, usually it's smaller indie games that might not and often there's a patch afterwards to support it. I initially chose the lower resolution 21:9 as I didn't have the GPU to support the higher dpi version. Don't have any regrets with it at all.

In productivity I constantly have my app windows split 50/50 which is easy with snap support in modern windows. I wouldn't go any smaller than 34" though, the vertical height is perfect IMO.

There are also 3440 x 1440 21:9 ultrawide monitors
If I was about to buy a monitor I would go ultawide over 4k

I'd go for something you can use comfortably without enabling Windows' annoying, problem causing scaling.

4K is definitely overrated.

I'e had my 34" 2560x1080 for a few years now and love it. It's very rare nowadays there isn't Ultrawide support, usually it's smaller indie games that might not and often there's a patch afterwards to support it. I initially chose the lower resolution 21:9 as I didn't have the GPU to support the higher dpi version. Don't have any regrets with it at all.

In productivity I constantly have my app windows split 50/50 which is easy with snap support in modern windows. I wouldn't go any smaller than 34" though, the vertical height is perfect IMO.

Thanks. I mostly play the AAA stuff so not to bothered about Indy games.

The model I'm looking at is the LG 34wk650 btw

Slightly unrelated question by the way but the specs mention this monitor has a 75hz refresh rate. Can it still do 60hz vsync or will vsync default to 75hz?

I'm asking because some other LG monitors specifically mentioned something like 60hz/75hz on the spec sheet while no such thing is mentioned for this monitor.

I've never had a monitor that can do over 60hz so I'm not that familiar with how things work on the fancy new models ;)

Slightly unrelated question by the way but the specs mention this monitor has a 75hz refresh rate. Can it still do 60hz vsync or will vsync default to 75hz?
Vsync will operate on whatever the refresh is set at in windows. I don't know if 60hz will be available for you, that's up to whatever the EDID gives to windows for the list of resolutions/refresh rates. My options are 60, 59 and 50. Ideally you'd want 75hz over 60hz anyway?

I'm not sure a rtx2060 will do 75fps comfortably in most games. 60fps doesn't lool too difficult though hence my asking.

I'll try if I can figure out if it supports 60fps or not.

Looks like it has a Freesync range of 56-75 so maybe it supports forcing a specific lower refresh rate. FYI it is not Gsync Compatible according to Nvidia.

I wonder why they offer 59 ?
I believe due to how some legacy displays interpolate due to old NTSC standards of frame division resulting in 29.97 instead of 30hz interlaced. The resulting refresh is not quite 60hz, thus 59. At least that's how I understand it.

It's a TV quirk. I find selecting that gives me the least sync issues if I have a computer hooked up (especially via receiver).

I've also seen 23 Hz and 24 Hz. 23 Hz usually gets you closer to 23.976 Hz than the 24 Hz setting and is thus better for such material.

Though trying to get 23.976 Hz with a PC is really complicated in general.

And some TVs won't do 23/24/23.976 smoothly anyway.

It's a TV quirk. I find selecting that gives me the least sync issues if I have a computer hooked up (especially via receiver).
Yep, even my Nvidia Shield via a receiver to a modern Samsung panel operates at 59.

Looks like it has a Freesync range of 56-75 so maybe it supports forcing a specific lower refresh rate. FYI it is not Gsync Compatible according to Nvidia.

For some reason the specs are in the manual. Looks like it can do 60 and 75hz.

The strange thing is that the English manual mentions 56hz 75hz without specifically mentioning the freesync range while the Japanese manual mentions 56 75hz as well and the specifically mentions freesync to be 40 - 75hz.

Also freesync should work with newer Nvidia cards, right? I know not all of them are officially approved by Nvidia but technically it should work.

Resolution Maximum Resolution 2560×1080 @ 75 Hz
Recommended Resolution 2560×1080 @ 60 Hz
Video Signal Horizontal Frequency 30 kHz to 90 kHz
Vertical Frequency 56 Hz to 75 Hz

解像度 最大解像度 2560 × 1080 @ 75 Hz
推奨解像度 2560 × 1080 @ 60 Hz
映像信号 水平周波数 30 kHz ~ 90 kHz
垂直周波数 56 Hz ~ 75 Hz(FreeSync 有効時:40 ~ 75Hz)

Also freesync should work with newer Nvidia cards, right? I know not all of them are officially approved by Nvidia but technically it should work.
Yes you can manually enable any Freesync monitor with GSync, it's just not tested/approved by Nvidia so there may be issues. The key would be setting game quality to ensure it stays above 40hz (or whatever the min range is).

Back