Days Gone (Sony Bend) [PS4, PC]

Not really. In BotW, just about everything interacts with everything else naturally except for the enemies (which are way too far apart geographically to really ever interact with each other. Heck, maybe they actually do and I simply haven't seen it) It's really more like an in-depth Far Cry where you can get the occasional wild bear to do your dirty work for you. You cannot chop down trees to fence in some freakers and then set the whole thing on fire by dropping a molotov cocktail on some nearby grass (which wouldn't work during a rain storm). Now that would be a very BotW thing to do.

Last edited:
So, hordes move like in World War Z. I was at NERO site near somebody's gravestone (part of the main story line) and if you cut all the way to the end you look down a sheer rock wall about 20-25ft high. Below me there was a 50+ freaker horde. The moment thy saw me they started swarming towards the rock wall and not knowing they massed and climbed, I thought I was safe.

Turns out I was wrong. So bang my goes plan to use verticality to my advantage.

So, hordes move like in World War Z. I was at NERO site near somebody's gravestone (part of the main story line) and if you cut all the way to the end you look down a sheer rock wall about 20-25ft high. Below me there was a 50+ freaker horde. The moment thy saw me they started swarming towards the rock wall and not knowing they massed and climbed, I thought I was safe.

Turns out I was wrong. So bang my goes plan to use verticality to my advantage.

That sounds fantastic.

That sounds fantastic.

Looking back, it was amazing. At the time it was a "shit! shit! shit!" moment trying to find my way out because the path through and around tents is basically a maze. a-maze-in, Get it? :nope:

I found one horde hour after starting game, at the Nero station with the crashed train. I sneaked into the Nero station so that I would not have to fight them, I'm way underleveled/underequipped. :)

Likewise. Anything more than half a dozen currently, unless they are really spaced out, hurts in terms of resources. A hoard charging across world chasing something truly is a spectacle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Attractor + grenades + horde = Tons of fun and a few hundred...or more...swarmer ears.

Horde + motorcycle + nearby kill enemies mission objective = great use for the horde. :p

Story might be a little threadbare. Loot is a bit underwhelming which unfortunately doesn't give a lot of reason to explore (not to mention if you DO explore you'll run across empty setpieces which are obviously meant for missions later in the game, but are absolutely empty of everything until the mission). I think that's the biggest shame with the game, there's this wonderfully detailed world, but not a lot of reason to go exploring.

That said, it looks fun to play in a B-movie kind of way. And it's been fun to watch some of my favorite streamers play it.

One interesting thing I've heard commented on a few times. That some of the people playing it feel the game was originally meant to be more combat focused, similar to what was shown at the original reveal. So things like stealth feels tacked on and a bit out of place more often than not. I've also heard comments that the game doesn't feel "finished", like maybe it was rushed. I wonder if that's true and things were cut from the game due to time constraints.

Regards,
SB

They don't really push you toward horde encounters until you have access to some good gear.

Yet there are a bunch of hordes in the area encountered in the first hours of the game. There is a horde camping on train cars next to a NERO station, I found another horde near the NERO station where Sarah's gravestone is, a horde cave was immediately below a marauder camp I took out by lobbing rousing them them drawing them into the camp. I'm going to try to take on the train car horde later. It's probably suicide but I have a lot of crafted toys now by clearing out camps and raiding bunkers. Smoke bombs, eh? So now I'm BatDeacon.

Did anybody else miss Days Gone having a quick save? I've been going into the menu but you can hit Triangle when near your bike and there are no enemies around.

Yeah, they are there, but I've been way too scared to take the hordes on, and I've played like 3-4 hours every day since release!

I've been using the quick save a lot. Very convenient.

Yeah, they are there, but I've been way too scared to take the hordes on, and I've played like 3-4 hours every day since release!

I tried maybe five or six times to defeat the train car horde near the NERO mass check point by a mass grave and truck full of explosive fuel, easy right? Nope. :nope:

My strategy was to cluster them around the truck then blow it but the horde only move close together when chasing or attacking something, otherwise they are spaced out. I tried throwing an attracter near the truck but I couldn't find anywhere close enough where I couldn't be seen. Seen = death. My best attempt killed maybe half leaving a lot plus nearby strays. I'll come back when I have remote/proximity bombs.

I'm maybe 15-20 playtime in and just moved to a new area. I'm really liking the story and characterisations. Many missions still surprise me by not doing what you expect, i.e. go to X to retrieve Y and not have some contrived reason to get attacked from all sides? Unexpected. I'm also really liking the story, which is not going anything like I expected - it's much better. Looking forward to playing more later.

Last edited:
I'm really not looking forward to take them on again after my experience of trying to fight the small 50 freaker horde. I've seen plenty now when mot riled are not that perceptive. I have the stealth/extra quiet survival skill and the ones that let your survival vision see enemies and further out.

The damn things seem to have a routine, During daytime you'll rarely see see them outside of where they sleep, like a cave of big warehouse. Once darkness falls they seem to head to water to drink, after which they amble about looking for food. Bears also terrify me but I saw a freaker horde destroy a bear in seconds, it was like watching ants attack.

I hope whatever missions makes me take them on gives me a rocket launcher or something.

2 things that impresses me a lot in this game. One graphically and one technically.

Graphically : the shadows everywhere.

Technically : the hordes. Honestly, i though such a thing was nearly impossible this gen due to the weak CPU. Seriously, did we ever see something like that in any game ? I mean Days Gone made something that was never made before and it's really impressive.

Just look at that :

I really hope Days Gone will sell well because it is clear that Bend put a lot of work in this game. They're a small studio, that's their first AAA, they didn't even have their own engine and yet they managed to produce a game that is impressive by many standards.

2 things that impresses me a lot in this game. One graphically and one technically.

Graphically : the shadows everywhere.

Technically : the hordes. Honestly, i though such a thing was nearly impossible this gen due to the weak CPU. Seriously, did we ever see something like that in any game ? I mean Days Gone made something that was never made before and it's really impressive.

Just look at that :

I really hope Days Gone will sell well because it is clear that Bend put a lot of work in this game. They're a small studio, that's their first AAA, they didn't even have their own engine and yet they managed to produce a game that is impressive by many standards.
has a lot of bugs though as it is also evident at the end of the video
But great work overall for their size

has a lot of bugs though as it is also evident at the end of the video
But great work overall for their size

That's the only disappointing thing granted they are a small team but they were given a lot of time though and the way in how quick they releasing patches says to me that they were lacking in there play testing.
Which is understandable considering there size but you would think Sony would or should have a big play testing department for all there first party developers?

Not saying it's not impressive, cause it is, but we have had games with hundreds and hundreds of characters on screen at once for many years, on previous generations too.

It's just not something that is 'cool' anymore so it hasn't appeared in a lot of games (except some bad Dynasty Warriors games here and there, off top of my memory).

This seems to be a natural evolution of that, and it looks really impressive.

Back