Halo MCC [PC]

Still almost certainly the greatest game Trailer of all time :love:

Its so good in so many ways:
Starts with black cut to white & single discordant note fading to slow moving camera showing off the higher quality environment/effects like its just some tech-demo.
Slow build glimpses of a figure that you miss first couple of times you watch, with various environmental effects providing intermittent obscuration, leading up to the reveal of the improved MC model/textures/shaders.
Slow build with discordant notes & visual glitches cutting over the main view with Cortana audio mixed with bits of Gravemind.
The epic cut from revealed Cortana to revealed MC and then bam sudden Covenant fleet (but this is Earth!) with blaring trumpet ta-da da da.
Pan to giant crater (but this is Earth!) & mysterious Forerunner portal opening (mirroring the hole in the clouds above) to Orchestral main theme.
White flare out of the portal blooms to white then cut to black & single note again, mirroring the beginning 'this is the way the world (and trailer!) ends'.
Back to the trumpets for the end-titles done glitchy like the Cortana visuals.

Its visually & audibly beautiful and exciting but mysterious & worrying too.

Even though I've never even played anything other than Halo1 I've still gone to watch that trailer from time to time in the forlorn hope that one day I get to play it (and Halo2 first), to finally understand wtf is going on and just because of how good it is.

I wonder who directed that & what else they've done?

Last edited:
Still almost certainly the greatest game Trailer of all time :love:

Its so good in so many ways:
Starts with black cut to white & single discordant note fading to slow moving camera showing off the higher quality environment/effects like its just some tech-demo.
Slow build glimpses of a figure that you miss first couple of times you watch, with various environmental effects providing intermittent obscuration, leading up to the reveal of the improved MC model/textures/shaders.
Slow build with discordant notes & visual glitches cutting over the main view with Cortana audio mixed with bits of Gravemind.
The epic cut from revealed Cortana to revealed MC and then bam sudden Covenant fleet (but this is Earth!) with blaring trumpet ta-da da da.
Pan to giant crater (but this is Earth!) & mysterious Forerunner portal opening (mirroring the hole in the clouds above) to Orchestral main theme.
White flare out of the portal blooms to white then cut to black & single note again, mirroring the beginning 'this is the way the world (and trailer!) ends'.
Back to the trumpets for the end-titles done glitchy like the Cortana visuals.

Its visually & audibly beautiful and exciting but mysterious & worrying too.

Even though I've never even played anything other than Halo1 I've still gone to watch that trailer from time to time in the forlorn hope that one day I get to play it (and Halo2 first), to finally understand wtf is going on and just because of how good it is.

I wonder who directed that & what else they've done?

Halo 3's not a bad game by any stretch but will be massively disappointing next to a decade of that trailer playing in your mind.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-development-update-april-2019

Bunch of things.

Controls

• Robust action mapping options
  • Great mouse/keyboard input across the entire game
  • Low input latency by leveraging raw input and latency validation via slow motion cameras
  • Support for a broad set of mouse and gameplay options
PC Native UI

• Updated UI controls familiar to PC users
  • Robust video and game options that allow users to tailor the experience to their hardware
  • Support for FOV sliders (to the extent each game can realistically support)
  • Text chat
Runs on a variety of hardware and takes advantage of what is there in both UI and gameplay

• Range of resolution and aspect ratio support for monitors
    • 4K+ resolution, native aspect ratio support from 4:3 up to 21:9 Ultrawide
    • GSync/FreeSync support
    • High refresh rate support
  • Mice both high or low DPI
  • Multiple styles of Keyboards
  • Video cards, both dedicated and integrated
  • XInput supported controllers
  • Loading optimizations
High quality window handling

• Borderless full screen
  • Flexible window resizing
  • Gracefully handles keyboard shortcuts such as ALT-TAB/ALT-ENTER, etc.

WIP - Note the "Center Crosshair" - presumably related to how Halo has had a lower vertical position for the crosshairs since Halo 2 IIRC. Neat.

settingsaps-cf195eb214d344b8a884576f4c591d6a.jpg

So Halo Reach is out on 3rd December and the pre-order is a very appealing $9.99. I've never played Reach so I'm very much looking forward to it. :yes:

However, if you go to the page it mentions it requires Halo: MCC which is 39.99 USD. Halo: Reach is listed as a 9.99 USD DLC for MCC.

But if you pre-purchase Halo: MCC then it includes Halo: Reach.

I'm not sure if it's meant to be like that or someone just messed up entering it into the system.

Regards,
SB

However, if you go to the page it mentions it requires Halo: MCC which is 39.99 USD. Halo: Reach is listed as a 9.99 USD DLC for MCC.

But if you pre-purchase Halo: MCC then it includes Halo: Reach.

I'm not sure if it's meant to be like that or someone just messed up entering it into the system.

I assumed they just cocked it up. How can Reach be paid DLC for a bundle that includes Reach? I assume they intend to sell the bundle (MCC) and the games individually..

I wanted to see if the game really required DX11 graphics to run, perhaps to see if Reach would work in the DX10 fallback mode. Tried with a Radeon 2600 XT 512MB and i5-4690K in Win10, which allowed me to get through the menus using the safe mode, and into the level loading screen, with it all crashing before any actual in-game visuals show up, and giving me a DX error. I guess the game truly requires a DX11 GPU, which leads me to think the PC version is based on the Xbox One port. Virtually the same thing happened in my Athlon 6000 Win7 system, though the game just hung up on the level loading screen once it was "done".

A true PC port of Reach at the same time as the 360 release wouldn't have been so relatively heavy on the system requirements as the MCC version, assuming the devs actually gave a damn.

Can say the game runs just barely enough with Intel HD 4000 graphics @ 720p and the original graphics preset. To have a GTS 450 or Radeon 6850 as the stated requirement is a bit silly both in terms of their actual capabilities but more importantly because of their age. Focusing on more pertinent and newer GPU series would've made more sense in reassuring gamers that their cheap laptop or desktop has the ability to run the game.

It's been a long time in the making...

Halo 4 by 343 Industries is arriving on PC as the final title to join Halo: The Master Chief Collection on November 17.

On the same day, the collection will also be Optimized for Xbox Series X|S, including 120FPS rendering, FoV slider, and much more.​

It's been a long time in the making...

Halo 4 by 343 Industries is arriving on PC as the final title to join Halo: The Master Chief Collection on November 17.

On the same day, the collection will also be Optimized for Xbox Series X|S, including 120FPS rendering, FoV slider, and much more.​

I hope they fixed the texture filtering option. It wasn't working when I was in the beta and the textures looked shit.

Back