The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Ok I'm not sure if this counts or not, but I've recently become addicted as hell to a YouTube channel whenever I want to kill a little time. Sure I watch Might Car Mods and Project Binky, but those are once a week or month.

This new channel I love, it's just a collection of short sci-fi stories. It's like reading a collection of authors short stories, they vary from 2-3 minutes to about 20 each and have the great joy of being able to go anywhere they want to.

Good time killer for late night weirdness, Dust.

Ok I'm not sure if this counts or not, but I've recently become addicted as hell to a YouTube channel whenever I want to kill a little time. Sure I watch Might Car Mods and Project Binky, but those are once a week or month.

This new channel I love, it's just a collection of short sci-fi stories. It's like reading a collection of authors short stories, they vary from 2-3 minutes to about 20 each and have the great joy of being able to go anywhere they want to.

Good time killer for late night weirdness, Dust.

I'm at a point where I'm mostly looking forward to movies and tv shows because there's a chance I get to watch a Red Letter Media episode about it later. :)

Oh! My! GoT!
Yeah. My thoughts, as well.

It was satisfying and sad at the same time. A rollercoaster of emotions. At the end I was laughing and crying.

Lost, season 2. Quite entertaining, but I don't like the Biblical crap. Does it get worse?

GoT: Stupid tactics alert!

Let's leave the walls of our fortress to attack the vast army of the dead at night in the pitch black. Even with the flaming swords given to us at the 11th hour, that'll work. Then, let's wait until half of the army has been destroyed before using our most powerful weapon (dragons).

I'll not even mention that the ravening zombie hordes have surprisingly good manners because they know to tiptoe around the silent library, albeit as battle rages on silently outside.

Luckily, the Night King has the same bad guy stupidity that his zombie giant does earlier in the battle and doesn't kill off a threat immediately. Soulless killing machine suddenly decides to stare meaningfully at an incapacitated enemy for no particular reason.

Not sure if it's just me, but I've found GoT incredibly formulaic since it went off book.

Hopefully, we'll end up with a more interesting battle for King's Landing with less stupidity on show from the bad guys.

I did not appreciate the Game of Thrones Episode 3 all that much. The scale for a TV show was of course very nice, but few things made it worse than it should have been.

It was very dark and hard to see what was going on at many times. None of the A-tier characters died as all of them were miraculously saved countless times from a total no win situations, making the whole episode feel like an antithesis to what the series has been known for. Before almost anybody could die at any point, now all the main characters were totally immune to death. It was laughable at times.

I thought the story of Night King was going to end in this episode. I always felt it was just a side story to the human conflicts as the name of the show suggests, but man they should have made the back story of the white walkers stronger and more fleshed out. At the end it felt quite sloppy and meaningless.

I hope the last three episodes deliver on what the series has been strong so far.

edit: I'll add that the episode had its moments as well, but I can't give it more than 6.5/10.

Last edited:
As to the plot twists on Game of Thrones, The Long Night (S8E3) was no Red Wedding.

I would have liked seeing more
Dragon vs Dragon fighting, perhaps some on the ground
and at least any sort of sensible tactics used on both sides.

I wish the book would come out.

The show changed when it ran out of books. It's still the best fantasy tv show ever created, but it's not as good as it was though the production is marvelous. Too bad it was so dark.

Now for something completely different: WATCH BARRY ON HBO it is so funny and insane, especially the last episode. I loved it. Bill Hader, man. Bill Hader.

GoT: Stupid tactics alert!

Let's leave the walls of our fortress to attack the vast army of the dead at night in the pitch black. Even with the flaming swords given to us at the 11th hour, that'll work. Then, let's wait until half of the army has been destroyed before using our most powerful weapon (dragons).

I'll not even mention that the ravening zombie hordes have surprisingly good manners because they know to tiptoe around the silent library, albeit as battle rages on silently outside.

Luckily, the Night King has the same bad guy stupidity that his zombie giant does earlier in the battle and doesn't kill off a threat immediately. Soulless killing machine suddenly decides to stare meaningfully at an incapacitated enemy for no particular reason.

Not sure if it's just me, but I've found GoT incredibly formulaic since it went off book.

Hopefully, we'll end up with a more interesting battle for King's Landing with less stupidity on show from the bad guys.

I agree with
the dragons not being wisely used. I spent half the episode screaming 'what the fuck are they doing with the dragons? Why don't they use them now? At least one, while the other is looking for the zombie dragon or whatever'.

Regarding the meaningful stare of the Night King, I think that, for some reason, he is not just a dumb zombie. He has a purpose and is the leader of an army.

Nevertheless, I liked the episode very much.

If we really stop and analyse things, then yes, tactically the battle was a bit stupid. However, it is obvious by now that the new director(s) basically built the episode around the big shock moment, and a few lesser shock moments before that.
I would also predict and very much hope that the whole Killer Forst Boss story isn't finished now. It couldn't have been just a mindless zombie kind of ordeal. Perhaps Bran will reveal something. Either way I'm very happy that now things will go back to the total evil machiavellian bitchfest that has always been the most entertaining part of the show. I always thought the zombie army was a secondary subplot, behind the actual Game of Thrones, with Cersei being the final boss. Then again I very much have zombie fatigue.

It's the definition of Meme-able, quickly shareable moments which will take the episode to the stratosphere in terms of press coverage and viewers numbers.

So I just won't over-analyse it and I will take it as it was given to us, a hell of a spectacular and entertaining TV history moment.

My one complaint is that it was all very dark, and at current bit-rates the broadcast had some moments where I just couldn't see much in the black/brown/whatever smudge of nothingness. On Netflix or Amazon, the quality would have been 100 times better.

Last edited:
The Amazon broadcasts of the GOT episodes are much better than the HBO Now broadcasts which far excees most US Cable companies broadcast, especially's Comcasts which downsamples everything to be bitstarved and also 720p. In all the cordcutting discussions, it is said Amazon Channels' HBO broadcasts are closer to 10mbit while HBO Now is around 5mbit.

I watched it via Amazon Channels and while it was dark, I didn't have any real complaints, but then again I have my 1080p Plasma setup so I can still see details in dark movies and scenes. With that said, the 4K UHD HDR version should be amazing to see when that comes out.

I just bought the season on Amazon Video. The only other option here would be to become a "Sky" costumer, and they only provide 720p via a truly shitty app.

I thought it suffered from the modern-era blurry-fight jerky-camera-athon which we see in action movies these days. You couldn't really tell who was hitting who (or what) or what was really happening much of the time. I suppose it's OK in short spells but when so much of the programme is a battle, you could really have cut 30 minutes out of the episode without losing anything meaningful.

P.S.
Let's keep the women and children safe down in the crypts. Nobody down there to harm them. What could possibly go wrong? :p

I watched the latest GoT on my Nexus 7 2013 and it was so dark I wondered if my screen had become defective

If you disregard the tactics and their defensive measures though, I have begun thinking that the battle itself was good and gave a sense of doom. I know people expected more but I saw this coming already after the shitty Beyond the wall episode, and it's only six episodes in total and they still have to deal with Cersei.

Their catapults should have continued firing until they were destroyed, the Dothraki shouldn't have charged like that , they should have had additional fortifications and set them on fire when overwhelmed. They should also have thrown down burning logs and such from the walls, and retreated within the keep itself and defend the corridors.

I'm still mostly annoyed by what they did in Season 7. They still didn't show anything that showed that the Army of the dead could have broken through the Wall without the ice dragon. The Wall is around 200 metres higher than the walls of Winterfell, and Jon even wanted to fill the gateways with ice in the novels.

What I've really noticed is that GoT, and not just during the current season, really benefits from the comparatively massive bandwidth you get from a Blu Ray. It's still dark, but there's detail in the dark areas. With streaming services you get wavering, banding blotches of black compression artifacts instead.

Ugh, no! :???:

Just for this season? And, in your opinion, is it unbearable?

All the middle seasons suck. The ending sort of sucked too.

They had a plan for like 3 seasons (back then it was 25 episodes a season) then it got crazy popular so they padded it out to the 6 seasons. Then they brought in more characters and started more tangents that went nowhere and then abandoned even more tangents. At least you're not having to wait for week between episodes or year between seasons.

But it's an experience everyone should suffer through once.

Back