Community Poll: Will Sony PS5 have 4K UHD BluRay?

Will Sony PS5 have 4K UHD BluRay?

• Total voters
Implementing controller logic in main cpu and using ram as cache is possible. It might even be desirable as that would allow per game optimized caching and cache size instead of generic logic that might not be optimal in all cases. This might also mean game engine doesn't need to have it's own cache in case controller software is good and configurable.

so now your going to trade ram for drive access caching ? Your just going to dump more stuff over busses instead of just adding more cache to the drive. As time goes on and you release new revisions you can add a faster ssd with more cache

Should there be poll how long ps4 will live? Ps5 looks to be expensive box and prices don't come down like they used to. I suspect ps4 will keep selling for very long time and might even break ps2 sales record in the end.

Should there be poll how long ps4 will live? Ps5 looks to be expensive box and prices don't come down like they used to. I suspect ps4 will keep selling for very long time and might even break ps2 sales record in the end.

Sony's PlayStation division has a long history of cost-reducing older consoles to hit low-budget points and I would expect the same for PS4, a 7nm revision of PS4 is on the cards, perhaps leveraging PS5 APUs don't full work but can run the B/C stuff.

Sony's PlayStation division has a long history of cost-reducing older consoles to hit low-budget points and I would expect the same for PS4, a 7nm revision of PS4 is on the cards, perhaps leveraging PS5 APUs don't full work but can run the B/C stuff.

There was the rumour about 7nm 199$ ps4 this year. That would be very, very nice for sony and sell a boatload. Especially if they can also make the box even nicer and smaller.

Ps5 being bc with ps4 will likely help ps4 sales. It's now completely feasible to invest into older console and upgrade when convenient. That should make 199$ ps4 more valuable/desirable than 199$ ps2/ps3.

so now your going to trade ram for drive access caching ? Your just going to dump more stuff over busses instead of just adding more cache to the drive. As time goes on and you release new revisions you can add a faster ssd with more cache

Game engines use main ram to cache all kinds of things. Perhaps there is synergy here that can be exploited by developer.

Of course cache in controller/ssd is better than using main ram&cpu. It's a question on compromises related to console pricepoint and one way to drive ssd size up without compromising bom.

In closed box it's great to allow software control cache and have game specific optimal implementations.

Game engines use main ram to cache all kinds of things. Perhaps there is synergy here that can be exploited by developer.

Of course cache in controller/ssd is better than using main ram&cpu. It's a question on compromises related to console pricepoint and one way to drive ssd size up without compromising bom.

In closed box it's great to allow software control cache and have game specific optimal implementations.
it would just seem odd to me that with the speed at which SSD tech is evolving and the speed of price drops that you'd want to basicly constrain it by having the cpu and ram take care of some of this . In 2022 lets say when it comes time to a revision of a 2020 console SSD speeds could have doubled or tripled but you've now dedicated cpu/ram towards that task. Seems odd

Why? If they are going to be installed anyway, and loading times are going to be minimal thanks to a super fast SSD, what's the downside to two or three install discs? Is swapping a disc mid-install really that much of an issue?

it mens that for games that already require 2 discs it will be 4 discs.
More costs for discs as well.

So I’m pretty sure it was in this thread that I wrote that it is impossible to share one digital copy of a game between two different accounts and two different PS4s.

That is not true. It’s not a hack, and it’s also very simple to do. However Sony only allows this for two accounts maximum.

We are now playing the one digital copy of AC Odyssey I bought last month, at the same time, one on my PS4 (under my account) and one on my partner’s PS4 (under his account so he gets his own trophies).

Up until now we have had to buy disc copies of games we both wanted to play, and in some cases when we knew we’d want to play a game at the same time, we even bought the same game twice (destiny 2, FFXV off top of my head). Total waste of money.

So, plus one point for no disc consoles!

Last edited:
How is it setup?
Do you have his PS4 designated as your "Home" console and he has yours designated as his "Home" console? That way whatever you buy can be played by your gamertag on any console and anyone else can play those games on your "Home" console. Vice versa for his purchases.

How is it setup?
Do you have his PS4 designated as your "Home" console and he has yours designated as his "Home" console? That way whatever you buy can be played by your gamertag on any console and anyone else can play those games on your "Home" console. Vice versa for his purchases.

Yep. My PS4 is his “primary PS4” and vice versa. So now I’m playing all the games he bought on my PS4 and vice versa. Nice!

Yep. My PS4 is his “primary PS4” and vice versa. So now I’m playing all the games he bought on my PS4 and vice versa. Nice!

It's great to see this works the same on both console ecosystems, Sony and Microsoft, with the only difference being the marketing terms used. A few coworkers benefit from this when their son buys games. It's gotten them to try out games they otherwise wouldn't.

Any idea if the benefit crosses over into the other subscription services like PS-Now / Game-Pass? I don't know if that benefit extends to the primary console like XBGold / PS+ does.

It's great to see this works the same on both console ecosystems, Sony and Microsoft, with the only difference being the marketing terms used. A few coworkers benefit from this when their son buys games. It's gotten them to try out games they otherwise wouldn't.

Any idea if the benefit crosses over into the other subscription services like PS-Now / Game-Pass? I don't know if that benefit extends to the primary console like XBGold / PS+ does.

Don’t know about PSNow but Plus, for sure.

Back