Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [pre E3 2019] *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the implication of Sony and AMD co developing hardware Raytracing means it's a PS5 exclusive feature then? I've heard recent talks of MS using DirectX "software duh" Raytracing for their Scarlett consoles so in a sense this fits the narrative. Let's assuming this is true then Snek would have the extra silicon room for more Tflops for sure if using the same chip. Probably not unreasonable to assume at least 14TF. This should also imply Navi is way more power efficient than Radeon 7, but hey I need more evidence to convince me, after all this is from an untrusted source.
The most unconvincing part IMO is that 1,8 Ghz for Navi. Too good to be true.

Speaking of Raytracing, if it´s the next big thing. (which it is) and Nvidia it´s pushing it in the market right now, What would be the point of devoting resources towards a solution just for Sony, and not integrating it in your hardware portfolio from now on.

If you have something better in the pipeline why not offer it in the first place
Not necessarily. I think the contract could mean HW RT will only be available to PS5 and any AMD gpus that's able to support the feature except, MS Scarlett family. So in the end it's a win win for AMD and Sony, it would be a dumb deal if it's only Sony alone.
Or, MS didn't want it in the first place. Rather they preferred their own versatile DXR API for the job and saving the die space for more CUs. Would be interesting to see the end results tho, and I'm not expecting 1080ti vs 2060 raytracing difference lol.

Last edited:
There's some misunderstanding here.
DirectX RT (DXR) is the api, it doesn't say how it's implemented underneath, the same way Nvidia uses its 'hardware' acceleration when implementing it.
So MS saying it supports DXR doesn't say in what manner, the same way Sony saying its hardware RTRT doesn't mean much right now.
They both could be doing the same thing or different.(hopefully different)
DirectX RT doesn't mean it's software or hardware

There's no way Sony have hardware RT and AMD haven't got any for their GPUs. What's Sony's expertise in creating an RT unit that AMD have fumbled with? What IP are Sony going to own and control and limit AMD's use of? It's fanboy nonsense. If there's RT hardware in the GPU, it's from AMD and will appear in their PC GPUs. Worst case, Sony have paid console exclusivity in some weird deal and Ms are out of luck, which is pretty implausible IMO.

They both could be doing the same thing or different.(hopefully different)
Why do you want them to do things differently? If they both have the same solution, devs can focus on using it to best effect.

But... but special sauce! Where would the console wars be without special sauce!?

Why do you want them to do things differently? If they both have the same solution, devs can focus on using it to best effect.
I find it interesting the different implementations and the pros and cons, better for discussions.
In terms of devs, diversity may also give them different ideas.

But its mainly due to my interest than anything else.
How and why did they choose their approach, instead of everything being done the same way

There's no way Sony have hardware RT and AMD haven't got any for their GPUs. What's Sony's expertise in creating an RT unit that AMD have fumbled with?

Presumably folks inside Sony picked up a thing a two while making their How to Train Your Dragon, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and Hotel Transylvania movies. What did Sony know about cameras before they got in on that? Or consoles because the PlayStation? Between Sony and AMD, that's a lot of collaborative knowledge spanning GPUs and raytraced 3D production requirements.

There's no way Sony have hardware RT and AMD haven't got any for their GPUs. What's Sony's expertise in creating an RT unit that AMD have fumbled with? What IP are Sony going to own and control and limit AMD's use of? It's fanboy nonsense. If there's RT hardware in the GPU, it's from AMD and will appear in their PC GPUs. Worst case, Sony have paid console exclusivity in some weird deal and Ms are out of luck, which is pretty implausible IMO.

Well, didnt Sony design SPEs?. Not sure there is a better hardware for calculating intersections.

I find it interesting the different implementations and the pros and cons, better for discussions.
In terms of devs, diversity may also give them different ideas.

But its mainly due to my interest than anything else.
How and why did they choose their approach, instead of everything being done the same way

There might be a difference in the ram setup if the 8GB HBM and 16GB ddr4 leak is true. Will keep the discussion going.

Sony might have requested some modifications to improve their own RT technique from their own API. Like what they asked for the ID buffer and whatever they needed for CB. It doesn't have to be an additional compute block.

2rkizd.png

So NEC SX-Aurora style with six 4-Hi stacks of HBM?

There was the rumor that the PS5 dev kit has 2.5 - 3 times the RAM bandwidth of the Xbox dev kit. Such a setup would allow that. Assuming Anaconda uses 14 Gbps GDDR6 with a 256 bus (448 GB/s) then Sony would only need 1.6 Gbps HBM (1230 GB/s). If Anaconda uses 14 Gbps GDDR6 with a 384 bit bus (672 GB/s) then Sony could use 2.4 Gbps HBM (1842 GB/s).

Or if they want to shatter everything they could use Samsungs HBM2E with 410 GB/s per stack for a total of 2460 GB/s.

:D

edit: oh, I thought this was the baseless rumor thread. :o)

Not necessarily. I think the contract could mean HW RT will only be available to PS5 and any AMD gpus that's able to support the feature except, MS Scarlett family. So in the end it's a win win for AMD and Sony, it would be a dumb deal if it's only Sony alone.
Or, MS didn't want it in the first place. Rather they preferred their own versatile DXR API for the job and saving the die space for more CUs. Would be interesting to see the end results tho, and I'm not expecting 1080ti vs 2060 raytracing difference lol.
The litmus test comes down to understanding how business operates. There are 3 bodies in these types of setups, the semi-custom organization is separate from RTG. So there is AMD-RTG, AMD-Sony, AMD-MS, and any other group that works with AMD would have their own partner team.

The three bodies are isolated to ensure that there is no theft of IP or leaks of information.
What can happen is they what RTG is working on both Sony and MS have access to. What Sony does with AMD-Sony is not known to the other two and vice versa.

The bridge point is AMD-RTG however. And I can safely confirm that AMD is working on their own RT solution. Sony I suspect at the least it’s what RTG is working on, it’s a custom variant of it.

If Sony makes its own RT solution, it’s on them but that won’t stop RTG or MS from collaborating on their own solutions which can back port to RTG. It’s not ideal to be an exotic method of doing RT. As we see with the move from PS3 to PS4, the uphill battle is making graphics better while decreasing cost to develop for the studios. Exotic hardware could enable better graphics but the cost for development will also increase.

This is why we haven’t seen any real crazy customizations from the mid-gen refreshes. Games get better looking with either more time or more money. Evolution in graphics are probably more directly related into how we build games today than just flat out having more power. The tools are better, our technology is better, we have new methods of tackling problems.

You can apply the RT concept to the architectures etc. The initial rumour was this co-op with Sony and RTG, but if it were true and you heard about it, that doesn’t make a lot of sense ;), because sony wouldn’t back port to MS. And AMD wouldn't announce things on behalf of Sony. These are sealed off teams.

We’re going to see very similar performance points at the same price point. So if you want to know which console is stronger look at the price. If the price the same then you can more or less expect performance to be the same.

Last edited:
It seems the latest rumors at Era is that AMD and Sony created some custom RT logic solution for PS5, while Microsoft opted for DirectX/Software RT solution. https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...-anaconda-dont-want-none.112607/post-20242652

Supposed leaked specs from a Sony-Dev meeting which was held the day prior to Cerny's Wired interview.
8 core Zen 2, clocked at 3.2Ghz.
Custom Navi GPU, 56CU, 1.8Ghz, 12.9TF. RT is hardware based, co engineered by AMD and Sony. (They believe the RT hardware is the basis for the rumour that Navi was built for Sony)
24GB RAM (Type or bandwidth wasn't mentioned)
Custom embedded Solid State solution paired with HDD.
20190417-092000.jpg

Edit: Oh snap, I see some info was already posted. :oops: I guess my page wasn't refreshing correctly, notifying me on new replies.

Presumably folks inside Sony picked up a thing a two while making their How to Train Your Dragon, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and Hotel Transylvania movies. What did Sony know about cameras before they got in on that? Or consoles because the PlayStation?
Those are different, because Sony set out to compete independently - they didn't partner with a hardware partner and then part of it, the bit the hardware partner was an expert at, do themselves. This rumour is suggesting AMD co-engineered a hardware raytracing unit and thus PS5 is getting it exclusively and AMD GPUs aren't, or at least that's what some believe. I'm sure Sony's input would be valuable (and how much of Sony? Are people from the Sony Imageworks included in the talks, or just SIE people? Naughty Dog asking what they'd like to see and not engineering silicon?), but the notion that it'll be platform exclusive is kinda silly. Why would AMD want to partner with Sony to develop hardware RT that they couldn't sell to a huge market? Surely they'd decline Sony's help and manage a pretty okay job on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back