Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [pre E3 2019] *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps as touted their custom x86 CPU is actually that and further from Jaguar than they get credit for. It may well be fully based on Jaguar but perhaps it actually took a lot of Ryzens efficiency improvements and baked that in there to offset the GPU. All that tech seemed mighty close to Hovis in explination to me also, and perhaps makes a package of changes that allowed them to push the GPU clocks.

:?:

I think the modifications - at least those listed at Hotchips - were about IPC gains for modest engineering costs with very little area increase. The kinds of changes mentioned were either in the memory subsystem or modest capability improvements in the cache subsystem. I don't think they were about power rails granularity (?) or additional power gating for the cores - a much larger undertaking.

A chip normally has a number of pins relating to power. I don't think Hovis is just about giving more power to some chips than others - you might as well increase the bin parameters and run everything hot. I think Hovis also allowed for adjusting power to certain areas of the chip so the entire chip was within a certain range. This allowed for compensation for areas that needed power that would have been outside the typical range, as you could save power elsewhere.

Given that consoles operate far away from the extreme limits of power/frequency, this allowed the acceptable band of total power/heat to be raised relative where X1/PS4/PS4Pro/X1S operate.

I think the tested.com testing is so un-insightful as to invite compromised conclusions.

Shameless plug... :mrgreen:
31rCivpsI1L.jpg
Silver?

From a apparently somewhat credible insider/influencer: Lockhart and Anaconda will both have 1 TB NVMe drives.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5CFFQSXoAIsF-r.jpg

What sort of latency and contention issues would a UMA pool of GDDR6 have? Sony seems to have a specific bandwidth target in mind if they are going with this approach.

My sense says they are interested in streaming assets quickly without bottlenecks rather than theoretical peaks that in practice aren't attainable.

Sony made a presentation about the PS4 in 2013 where they mentioned that CPU bandwidth reduces GPU bandwidth disproportionately. Maybe that's even worse with Zen since it's much more powerful then Jaguar? On the other hand GDDR6 has double the banks of GDDR5, I believe, which would probably help.

Slide 13: http://rdwest.playstation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/ParisGC2013Final.pdf

Donald Trump
Donald's Rump
the greatest
the biggest
possibly
absolutely (backwards)

Dante (XDK)
Inferno, the divine comedy.

Guess couple things to take away from this (surprisingly)
  1. 1TB nvme on both models
  2. Actual fuller leaks imminent, as info is now out there
Just about who will leak first. There's been talk that may not have to wait much longer

Edit:
Now that I've had another look, the funny thing is this has given us the same bullet points as the wired article:
SS storage
Raytracing
BC

This one gives us size of storage, wired a few benchmark type stats.
MS should get together with DF again because this is gonna leak soon and it won't be them controlling messaging.

Last edited:
It sounds like MS is hellbent on being the performance leader as in
tenor.gif

I guess for whatever losses Sony are willing to take per unit sold, MS would double it.

I guess for whatever losses Sony are willing to take per unit sold, MS would double it.
They haven't done that ever, not with the xb1, not with the X, not even with the Slim. For years we get these rumors about MS planning this crazy loss undercutting sony. We had that 10TF xb1x rumors from "known insiders", then the $99 diskless slim the size of a NUC. It's not surprising we're now seeing rumors on Era saying Snek will be 16TF for the same price as the 8TF ps5.

Why are they making up ridiculous specs to be disappointed later?

Looks fake if it's an internal memo. Redact BC (yet we know it exist), but not the storage size/configuration? Um'kay…:rolleyes:

He claims the slide is his, but the words are from the Microsoft doc. He changed it up so as not to share the original. He apparently also leaked Halo MMC pc before it was announced.

No idea why he obfuscating the rest.

but I suspect if legit Microsoft docs are out there, we will get the full leak real soon.

Looks fake if it's an internal memo. Redact BC (yet we know it exist), but not the storage size/configuration? Um'kay…:rolleyes:
Possibly describes the nature and amount of enchantment.

Hypothetically, if they were able to work out the complexities in scaling up the buffers for more recent engines, then a “12 TF” equivalent ought to have enough juice for 3 x 3 SSAA of XO titles.

Just in the same vein as og Xbox titles getting 2 x 2 SSAA on XO, whereas they get 4 x 4 on Scorpio, which is approximately the shader/tex difference. Perhaps the enchanted 360 titles on Scorpio being 3 x 3 is a more apt comparison, where XO does not seemingly have enough leeway for 2 x 2, so it only runs said titles at the original resolution (integer multiplier is less of a headache for a number of reasons, including the UI, tex coordinates etc.)

Could be something else, of course.

ninja.gif

Last edited:
They haven't done that ever, not with the xb1, not with the X, not even with the Slim. For years we get these rumors about MS planning this crazy loss undercutting sony. We had that 10TF xb1x rumors from "known insiders", then the $99 diskless slim the size of a NUC. It's not surprising we're now seeing rumors on Era saying Snek will be 16TF for the same price as the 8TF ps5.

Why are they making up ridiculous specs to be disappointed later?
It's because it says undisputed performance leader, then people run with it making up their own crazy numbers. It could be 1Mhz or Flop faster than ps5, or still end up not as fast. To me that's still just an intention not a fact.

To me kinda crazy both models have 1TB of nvme storage in this leak.
It's from klob, so I would say the actual basis is as close to legit for what it's worth as we've got so far.
He copied the details and kept the wording so it's not the actual doc.

Last edited:
Are you talking about actual console having second gpu?
Or you only talking about dev box.

By the sounds of it just means the CPU on the APU is disabled in the current iteration of the dev box.

Although the leak can be a fake, the statement about the dev kit is that only the GPU on the SOC is working.
So this raises questions:
1 - there is a second GPU. Why would it be needed?
2 - if the one working in on a SOC, it is the one intended to belong to the devkit. So what is the other?
3 - the GPU works at 1850 Mhz. So it is the main GPU. Once again what is the other?

Hello, I'm new here, and the tech discussions here are pretty great so I've been lurking for weeks now.

Klobrille released two new updates;

Hinting that the word missing is DirectX Raytracing
https://www.resetera.com/threads/xb...plays-we-all-win.94058/page-344#post-20201749
Welcome to the crazy thread for B3D.

DirectX RT means as much or little, as hardware RTRT at the moment.
But it's nice to know what was redacted.
The AMD Navi GPU in the next-gen devices obviously will all feature specializations for raytracing.
This sounds just like an assumption by him based on the fact that both PS5 and Scarlett support RTRT.
We don't actually know how either has supported it, or if it's inherent in navi.

Although the leak can be a fake, the statement about the dev kit is that only the GPU on the SOC is working.
So this raises questions:
1 - there is a second GPU. Why would it be needed?
2 - if the one working in on a SOC, it is the one intended to belong to the devkit. So what is the other?
3 - the GPU works at 1850 Mhz. So it is the main GPU. Once again what is the other?
Being early dev box the zen CPU's will be close enough uarch wise to what will be in the console.
The GPU is
1. Navi based so no cards like that to use.
2. Will have customization that aren't in Navi

If leak was true, then it would be a nice way to get halfway between full pc box and actual hardware dev box.

But doesn't mean dual GPU or CPU in any meaningful way. The GPU is the one in the APU is being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back