Will PS4 stay active next-gen with PS5 ports? *spawn

Yes. PS4 will remain active into NextGen. The real question is for how many years?

What's wrong with just a normal PS5 version with its own disc? Make a PS4 game, port to PS5 with a few nicer assets, put it in a normal PS5 case as a normal PS5 game.

It's not wrong, but having all in one disk does feel much more practical for consumers.
Say you don't buy a PS5 on day one. But you keep buying software for your PS4, then, when eventually buy a PS5, many of your past games already look and play better.
Hell, the same is true even for those who DO buy day one, since if they are planning for that kind of feature, late PS4 games released a couple months before PS5 launch might as well take advantage of it already.
It's certainly not better for sony, by giving the consumer less insentive to buy new software, nor to rebuy a diferent version of pretty much same software, and worse, it can make a consumer spend more time on old software (replaying beat games to take in the new gfx) and delay new purchases. But it sure looks much better for consumers.
And doing that might strenghthen the ecosystem lock-in even further, which might offset the listed disadvantages.

It could never all be on one disc though because it wouldn't fit. You'd need one BluRay for the PS4 and one for PS5. If PS5 is UHD, that disc wouldn't even be read in PS4 would it? The only way you could have one disc is effectively one executable like PC, which would mean gimping the PS5 version for cost reasons to produce a game targeting a lower common denominator instead of developing for next-gen features from the ground up.

And if using two different executables, that's no different to any other generation. We could have had a CD and DVD PS1/PS2 combo, and a PS3/PS4 BRD combo.

If you want to lock in players using their existing hard-copy library, I think you'd just need an upgrade path. One thing you absolutely would not want to happen is devs to limit the next-gen experience unnecessarily due to supporting last-gen machines on the same game.

What about flip discs? Ps4 one side, PS5 the other.

Does that not work for BluRay, was it only DVD?

If games are not played directly from disk then why does it matter? Just store the main EXE & license on the disk for both platforms, then download the rest of files for your platform off the store.

Tommy McClain

It could never all be on one disc though because it wouldn't fit. You'd need one BluRay for the PS4 and one for PS5.

Assets take the most storage, and I don't think they'll be getting much bigger right at the start of PS5 gen.

I would expect it to be similar to vita/ps4 crossbuy in many cases.

For disks a lot of assets could be similar or even identical on cross platform titles, question really is that would it all fit to 2 layers which Ps4 can read and if disks still could have more layers.. (3 or 4 layer disks with common data on first 2 layers and extra for ps5 on rest.)

Assets take the most storage, and I don't think they'll be getting much bigger right at the start of PS5 gen.

I would think they would be a little larger than base model games, around the size of current HD Texture pack patches. For instance look at the recent Borderlands 2 and Borderlands Prequel 4K patch sizes.

Always remember games take up space in large part because they can. Each and every PS3 uncharted game could barely fit a bluray, and yet bluepoint made all 3 of then go into a single disk with remastered assets and 1080p video.
I think storage really is not the central issue. It's if sony thinks this kind of next-gen patch is desirable or not.

Tbf, PS3 games didn't have a full installation by default +....... Bink? :p

Maybe we'll get better compression with faster CPUs?

What about flip discs? Ps4 one side, PS5 the other.

Does that not work for BluRay, was it only DVD?

Blimey, your brining up some old memories there. 4:3.dvd presentation and turning half way through a movie.... I digress.

Yes they did hybrid blu-ray and dvd , and hd-dvd and dvd.

I have not seen a dual Blu-ray but given the other options I don't see why not, but it would look awful without a gloss front side. Fingerprint fest.

Back