Resident Evil 4 Revealed

Aw, 16:9 support only? I know my tv isn't 16:9, not sure about my monitor.(my monitor isn't even vga, it's d-sub or d-terminal or something, but the aspect ratio isn't the same, though they're close to some vga reses)
Also, it seems like they're trying to do everything in this game. That big monster reminded me of something from house of the dead, and the ability to shoot thrown objects is also something out of house of the dead. Hmm, I'd like a good zombie shooter.(HotD3 was kind of lame, at least the arcade version, especially with that awful shotgun styled gun)

cthellis42 said:

the producer mentioned that all previous scenes shown were scraped, the story and details were totally reworked.
That's... a lot of time and effort. Any guesses from any dev regarding the amount of money lost?

# ... the zombies have disappeared
# Leon is appointed by the president to guard his daughter, but before he takes the job, she has been kidnapped and taken to a village in South America, where all villagers are in an eerie trance, trying to hunt down Leon...
Funny seeing these two points together. I'm either looking at a contadiction or a paradox. :devilish:

passerby said:
# ... the zombies have disappeared
# Leon is appointed by the president to guard his daughter, but before he takes the job, she has been kidnapped and taken to a village in South America, where all villagers are in an eerie trance, trying to hunt down Leon...
Funny seeing these two points together. I'm either looking at a contadiction or a paradox. :devilish:

Not really, if you consider that the tradtional RE zombies are undead rotten people, not just some angry villagers.

My occult lore has gotten very rusty. AFAI can recall, "real-life" zombies are actually villagers that have been subjected to some unknown puffer fish concoctation. They are described as "appears to be dead, in a trance". I may be mistaken, but despite all the research that has been poured onto the pufferfish(its genome has been mapped), how exactly such a "create-zombie potion" is made remains a mystery.

"Real" zombies are also recently dead people who have been dug op from their graves. The slowness comes from lack of oxygen to the brain.

Ah, if the game is mandatory 16:9 (black bars on 4:3 screens), wouldn't that mean the effective resolution is lower/less to render, thus saving processing power (think MGS cutscenes)?

That might explain it.

zurich said:
Ah, if the game is mandatory 16:9 (black bars on 4:3 screens), wouldn't that mean the effective resolution is lower/less to render, thus saving processing power (think MGS cutscenes)?

That might explain it.

But there wouldn't be any black bars on a wide screen tv. Plus, I think technically, 16:9 would result in a higher resolution.(instead of 480p, it's like 520p)

cybamerc said:
"Real" zombies are also recently dead people who have been dug op from their graves. The slowness comes from lack of oxygen to the brain.

Yeah, well with recently dead people having neither breathing nor a heartbeat, lack of oxygen in the brain should be rather expected wouldn't you say? ;)

Zombies, puffer fish... Blaha. There's no such thing, except in superstitions and video games. ;) (Shadow Man kicked ass, btw. Hhee!)

zurich:

> wouldn't that mean the effective resolution is lower/less to render, thus
> saving processing power

The game is running in widescreen on displays that support it and is letterboxed on displays that do not. The reason for this is that they need room for the character on the left side of the display without making it impossible to see what is going on. It's not done to save fillrate and you don't save anything with widescreen anyway.

Fox5:

> Plus, I think technically, 16:9 would result in a higher resolution.
> (instead of 480p, it's like 520p)

The resolution is the same. The game is running in anamorphic widescreen.

Guden Oden:

> lack of oxygen in the brain should be rather expected wouldn't you say?

My point is that that is the theory behind zombie lore. They're basically supposed to be retards.

There was only one RE that I enjoyed that was DMC 8)

This one looks different enough, actually it looks like an FPS, except instead of just part of the gun showing, you have bit more of the characters, like Splinter Cells.

As long as its pack with action and zombie blasting, I am all for it and perhaps you can air time those zombies :devilish:

cybamerc said:

You watch too many horror movies, that is the type of zombie we are familiar with from Romero and Fulci movies, another definition of a Zombie is "One who looks or behaves like automation"

"someone who acts or responds in a mechanical or apathetic way"

a good example of what a real life zombie is, would be Sid Barret from Pink Floyd, one too many hits of acid, and now he is trapped inside his own mind.

"Lisa say what you really feel about PS2"

its not about my feelings, its about fact, the PS2 has no hardware texture compression, both the scene and the models in this game are chock full of detail.. when interviewed as to why RE went to gamecube and not another console, his answer was "Because PS2 isnt powerful enough to handle the graphics we wanted to create, and Xbox has no market in Japan"

LisaJoy:

> You watch too many horror movies, that is the type of zombie we are
> familiar with from Romero and Fulci movies, another definition of a
> Zombie is "One who looks or behaves like automation"

It's Haitian zombie lore. The Haitian zombie is simply a recently deceased person who has been reanimated to function as a slave worker. Not a mindless killer looking for human brains.

I don't think the game has that. You can even see some circular shadows below the villagers in one of the pictures.

You guys are most likely right. I sometimes mix up lack of light with shadows in videogames for obvious reasons.

gurgi said:
I don't think the game has that. You can even see some circular shadows below the villagers in one of the pictures.

You guys are most likely right. I sometimes mix up lack of light with shadows in videogames for obvious reasons.

Still 9 months left of development time. :oops:

cybamerc said:

I always thought the slowness was from rigamortis setting in.

I thought one of the rumors have something along a line of a hive-mind viruses(or may be a nanotech virus?) taking control of people and things?

Dural:

> I always thought the slowness was from rigamortis setting in.

I'm hardly an expert but rigor mortis is only a temporary state and I suspect that once the heart and brain start to function again the stiffness should disappear anyway.

The story is that the villagers are in the primary stages of the zombie metamorphosis. Hence the ability to think, plan, ambush, etc. The Umbrella Inc. is still very much involved, to what degree & for what purpose has yet to be revealed. Perhaps an altered virus that slows the change, regardless we will again see zombies in this game as it progresses. As I said earlier, 9 more months of dev. time. :oops:

By the time this hits the Cube, texturally Capcom will be unmatched on the platform. And these are from a mag scans & mag capturing equipment? And sorry, IMO SH4 doesn't touch this in terms of scope, detail, textures, simultaneous on-screen enemies, etc.

Back