Will PS4 stay active next-gen with PS5 ports? *spawn

What do you think of the possibility that Sony will allow developers to develop for games across PS4, Pro and 5 with graphics/resolution improvements? Seems like a logical step to take after the release of the Pro and X (generational refreshes). In addition to the usual platform dependent games.

Sony have never stopped any dev creating cross-plat with previous gen consoles. It's entirely an economic choice on the part of the devs, whether they think the old market is viable and how much that impacts their new game. For first-party titles, last-gen compatibility won't be considered because it'll gimp the new machines and undervalue them for those exclusive experiences.

I prefer a clean break, new more powerful CPUs means more robust AI as an example and I don't want to see Mass Effect elevator or Subway used to hide loading time because LCD needs to store assets. If PS5 can stream assets per the Cerny interview example I want games designed around those benchmark not legacy tropes that try to cover for delays.

Again I'm not convinced Sony will launch with a lower and higher spec version of the hardware, Pro in my opinion was a function of 4k adoption and better frame rate for VR. We may see a mid generation refresh if 8k sees massive adoption at some point years from now but I'm not convinced it's a factor at launch.

That said a handheld with proper DS layout that could stream PS5 games as well as play older titles from the PlayStation library could be interesting. A 5G handheld 18 months after launch could be an interesting option.

What I meant was more the pro/x model where one game runs across all three and detects and selects which version to run accordingly.
The wired article makes it clear that some of the core design elements used right now in gaming are present to cover up load times, it adds a lot of complexity to design a game with two completely different approaches to movement around a map, AI, frame rates and so forth.

1. I doubt Sony or MS will ever allow support of 4pro or 1X in isolation, i.e. Without the base consoles being supported. So it's all or none.
  2. If a game will run ok on the base consoles then a game can be built for the current gen, and ran in BC mode on next gen. X1 will probably be able to specifically have code path for Scarlett. Sony harder to guess, may only be a boost mode.
  3. This is how I expect many cross gen games to work on Scarlett, PS may be different binary to take advantage of ps5.
It's a strange situation, imo MS should try get people to upgrade to Scarlett asap. Sony doesn't need to hurry as people will still be investing and getting tied into their ecosystem.
But the way their both set up, MS is likely to do more cross gen than Sony, which is reverse of what I think MS should do.

Anyone can release games for the older platforms. FIFA 19 released late last year for the X360 and PS3, and Just Dance 2019 released for the X360, PS3 and the Wii.

I'm sure EA will also keep releasing new sports cash cows every year for the PS4 and XBone, because most of them are just roster updates and their fans don't care all that much for new features and IQ.

Yes, there will be games released for ps4 fpr years to come, goes without saying.
But a worthy question, and the one I believe OP is asking is.
Will future cross-gen games have separate versions, one for PS4 and one for PS5, or will the same disk play on both machines with PS5 exclusive enhancements when played on that console?

Yes, there will be games released for ps4 fpr years to come, goes without saying.
Will future cross-gen games have separate versions, one for PS4 and one for PS5, or will the same disk play on both machines with PS5 exclusive enhancements when played on that console?
like outside of a standard sort of 3 year transition?
isn't that up to developers to decide? I doubt Sony would stop developers from release PS4 titles after the 3rd year.

Only if PS5 games don't target UHD media.

Why would that be any more viable than including PS3 and PS4 versions of games on the same disc?

Why would that be any more viable than including PS3 and PS4 versions of games on the same disc?

Because PS4 PRO has made multiple hardware targets for the same disk a common reality for both sony and devs.
PS: and for cunsumer's expectations.

I do not think they will muddy the waters by allowing that. It will mean only first party will have PS5 games on shelves if the 3rd party cross gen are in PS4 boxes..?

I think they will keep the generation for branding regardless of what's possible.

More interesting to me at least is accessories, Sony seemed to play the good guys at post E3 reveal and say PS3 wheels would work whilst Microsoft said no dice. I believe Sony went a similar way anyway eventually.

What will happen this time around, what accessories will or will not work?

Because PS4 PRO has made multiple hardware targets for the same disk a common reality for both sony and devs.
That's two tiers of the same hardware and the same executable. A PS5 game shouldn't be compatible with PS4 because it'll have all sorts of other hardware to work with, and it makes little sense to bloat PS5 games with PS4 code paths. And likewise, you don't want 3 discs of your PS4 game to install only 1/3rd of the assets on those discs.

I'm not sure what the argument is to want this feature. Reduction in stock concerns with less SKUs?

I do not think they will muddy the waters by allowing that. It will mean only first party will have PS5 games on shelves if the 3rd party cross gen are in PS4 boxes..?

I think they will keep the generation for branding regardless of what's possible.

More interesting to me at least is accessories, Sony seemed to play the good guys at post E3 reveal and say PS3 wheels would work whilst Microsoft said no dice. I believe Sony went a similar way anyway eventually.

What will happen this time around, what accessories will or will not work?
You can do it on PS4 just dev need to write driver himself. I think some dev open sourced a driver (to other devs). https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/1...veloper-creates-ps3-to-ps4-controller-drivers

You can do it on PS4 just dev need to write driver himself. I think some dev open sourced a driver (to other devs). https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/1...veloper-creates-ps3-to-ps4-controller-drivers

From what I recall Fantec were not able to do the same with their wheels, they asked and were happy to put the dev time in but for whatever reason I don't think anything happened.

I think since it has been done but only as the encryption the PS4 uses has been broken.

The platform holders certainly did not roll out the red carpet for users with existing devices, I wonder if this time the devices will be pitched as closer and things will be different.

I'm not sure what the argument is to want this feature. Reduction in stock concerns with less SKUs?

Boosting up launch library. All late ps4 games already playable on ps5 with advanced rendering features so you still can use them to show off. It does not need to overly bloat the game, they can keep most assets, just change some parameters and maybe add one or two new render features. 60fps mode, for example, is an easy add.

What's wrong with just a normal PS5 version with its own disc? Make a PS4 game, port to PS5 with a few nicer assets, put it in a normal PS5 case as a normal PS5 game.

Back