Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it's literally described as being in a tall silver tower. Past history indicates this is in line with other alpha kits that we've seen in the past.

Can you cite? I saw a pre-launch PS2 system that Sony brought in and it looked nothing like anything I'd seen before, nor seen since. That's my only personal experience with pre-launch Sony hardware but from pictures of other devkits, Sony's units lean more towards CD players than PC towers.

Can you cite? I saw a pre-launch PS2 system that Sony brought in and it looked nothing like anything I'd seen before, nor seen since. That's my only personal experience with pre-launch Sony hardware but from pictures of other devkits, Sony's units lean more towards CD players than PC towers.
lol I think I know what you're referring to because I've seen pictures of that.
I've worked with completed PS3 kits, they look pretty close to PS3s, a bit more bulk to them though.

Wired article:
Then Cerny does the same thing on a next-gen devkit connected to a different TV. (The devkit, an early “low-speed” version, is concealed in a big silver tower, with no visible componentry.) What took 15 seconds now takes less than one: 0.8 seconds, to be exact.

edit: the ps2 one looks remarkably close to the ps3 one btw (the completed one)
https://preview.redd.it/jy4s1zvlw1y...bp&s=40d1c145f8668e1d55e773cb152d66799f4c29a4

I think this is the one you're referencing Dsoup (the one underneath)
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/726/726255/final-ps3-dev-kit-tidbits-20060821013654682.jpg

The annoying part about pricing right now is that QLC does not have a readily available market price. It's going to be even cheaper, and whether or not 2TB is possible without major BOM compromises depends on just how low QLC will fall when there are multiple competitors.

I think Sony (and MS) will use TLC. The performance is better and the endurance is 5x better (typically 1500 vs 300 write cycles). With TLC, wear is not an issue at all for a 1TB device.

AMD will very soon ship PCIe 4.0. 4 lanes of that gives you ~8GB/s. PCI-E controllers are cheap, and NVMe is simply technically and operationally too good solution to pass up on. The only meaningfully wearable part being user-replaceable, and a commodity that you can buy anywhere just makes sense.

I think the flash will be soldered in. The device is going to be an integral part of the memory/storage system, Sony will want predictable, and high, performance from it. If they can get a device with 4-6 GB/s sequentiel bandwidth and 400k iops, they can reduce the amount of DRAM needed and reduce overall costs.

I think they can "beat anything available on the PC" while using the same interface. Firstly, because right now there are no PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives, so it's strictly truth in advertising (even though there will be such drives when PS5 launches), and

It might be connected via a PCIE 4 link because that's what (future) off the shelf controllers use. However if the controller is integrated, it should just talk infinity fabric instead of converting back and forth to PCI4, which does come with a power consumption price.

... secondly because they can plan the entire storage subsystem of their hardware and their os around having the ability to stream into memory at above 4GB/s, which is something that Windows probably won't do nearly as well even years after PS5 launches. Inefficiencies anywhere get amplified when the raw bandwidth goes up that much.

I expect Sony (and MS) to use the tightly integrated NAND as the top tier in a tiered storage solution instead of just using the fast NAND as a cache. Active games will always be moved to the fastest tier. Expansion devices would be connected by USB 3/3.1.

Cheers

Because it's literally described as being in a tall silver tower. Past history indicates this is in line with other alpha kits that we've seen in the past.
They've not yet pressed the silicon for the real development kit yet.

Well my take on the whole reason they had the article with wired was because they were going to start shipping dev kits with closed to final hardware so leaks were going to start happening and they wanted to get in front of that.

Otherwise what was the point if it was just some devkit with desktop parts?

happening and they wanted to get in front of that.
I'm not sure who wrote that. but that would be a good reason to do it sure.
But if I recall correctly, they ship the alphas which are eventually replaced by the real kits later on. Takes a long time to press silicon and it's costly. I believe it's several layers per day per wafer edit just over 1 layer per day apparently. So about 3 months for a complete wafer to be pressed at 7nm. Developers are going to need something sooner.

Durango shipped with Intel and Nvidia if the rumours are believed, of which there are many,... I mean that's a far cry of where they ended up with Xbox One.

Last edited:
lol I think I know what you're referring to because I've seen pictures of that. I've worked with completed PS3 kits, they look pretty close to PS3s, a bit more bulk to them though.
No, what I saw allowed us to directly access the 2,560-bit edram bus. Don't ask, I can't say. :nope:

None of the pics of Sony hardware is a silver towers though. so uhh...? :???:

No, what I saw allowed us to directly access the 2,560-bit edram bus. Don't ask, I can't say. :nope:

None of the pics of Sony hardware is a silver towers though. so uhh...? :???:
we're unfortunately in the dark about it, it's whatever the wired writer is allowed to write.
My general take is that there will be a more completed dev kit that won't be a silver tower and look closer to the final console. That's the one I take usually as the official unit, so what's in the silver tower is a big ? for now.

Otherwise what was the point if it was just some devkit with desktop parts?
I missed this, what do you mean? Sony and MS are using PC parts now. Developers can get started today with a reasonable understanding of the performance.
It's not like Sony back in ps2/ps3 days when no one else on the market had the equipment that they could just slap together. They had to build those early kits because none existed.

I missed this, what do you mean? Sony and MS are using PC parts now. Developers can get started today with a reasonable understanding of the performance.
It's not like Sony back in ps2/ps3 days when no one else on the market had the equipment that they could just slap together. They had to build those early kits because none existed.

Your whole premise was rubbishing the faster than PC statement about the storage because the dev kit was a PC I'm saying I think it was closer to final hardware and that's why they released the info in such a understated fashion with the wired article.

I think there was a phone call or something with the wired journalist where he stated he asked Cerny why now and he said because they about to ship lots of dev kits and they want to get ahead of possible leaks.

we're unfortunately in the dark about it, it's whatever the wired writer is allowed to write.

Woah, wind back. You said; "Because it's literally described as being in a tall silver tower. Past history indicates this is in line with other alpha kits that we've seen in the past."

I've not see any pre-launch Sony hardware in a silver tower. I've not seen all of it, but this contradcts my experience which certainly predates yours. What's the past history? It's all black and all horizontal apart from the PS2 box which is a horizontal box oriented vertically like production PS2s can be.

To be clear, I saw PS2 hardware before PS2 was announced. A long time before.

Woah, wind back. You said; "Because it's literally described as being in a tall silver tower. Past history indicates this is in line with other alpha kits that we've seen in the past."

I've not see any pre-launch Sony hardware in a silver tower. I've not seen all of it, but this contradcts my experience which certainly predates yours. What's the past history? It's all black and all horizontal apart from the PS2 box which is a horizontal box oriented vertically like production PS2s can be.

To be clear, I saw PS2 hardware before PS2 was announced. A long time before.
I'm talking about alpha kits in general, but not specifically Sony ones.
You mean something like this but flipped vertically?
5DbmimSHd3vqlMiQPRuhk5SbxtylnoY3N6rqQn4raLc.jpg

Yea I guess, it could be possible as well. I guess it really depends on how we want to interpret the writers words; it can go either way in my mind.

I'm just exploring... :yep2:

eUFS v3.0 would be around $10 for a 64GB and it has 2900MB/s interface on a 2 lanes chip. Reliable MLC with fully integrated controller. Sansung currently claims over 2GB/s read speed.

With the eUFS PHY being low pin count, it avoids the massive I/O count and chip count of parallel flash, which would be required for such high bandwidth.

128GB at 4GB/s for $20
256GB at 8GB/s for $40

Lockhart SOC + GPU :runaway:

Anaconda swallows the lockhart relic.
No joke. This has so much sense it has to be true. But we shouldnt discount Sony isnt going discrete this gen too, there was an old rumor about that. In fact this fact is what i supposse could be the PS5 8 GB reveal surprise moment.

Your whole premise was rubbishing the faster than PC statement about the storage because the dev kit was a PC I'm saying I think it was closer to final hardware and that's why they released the info in such a understated fashion with the wired article.

I think there was a phone call or something with the wired journalist where he stated he asked Cerny why now and he said because they about to ship lots of dev kits and they want to get ahead of possible leaks.
If you could find that, that would be awesome. I don't recall officially reading it on that article, so I'm unsure.
Right, I understand what you're getting at. But they showed everything on this silver tower, at least that's what this demo was written about. And released final dev kits going out may be entirely different and closer to real spec lets say. But we're basing our hypothesis based off the silver tower performance for now until we get better info.

think there was a phone call or something with the wired journalist where he stated he asked Cerny why now and he said because they about to ship lots of dev kits and they want to get ahead of possible leaks.
Correct, someone had the writer on phone and discussed the article, 45 min long.
Pretty sure it was posted in one of these threads, I'll see if I can find it.
Basically wanted to get out before the leeks start as dev kits going out.
Think writer also said "he believed' it was also to frame discussion before ms E3.

Edit
Here's the interview of the interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back