Days Gone (Sony Bend) [PS4, PC]

I have always loved zombies in film and game...and it was great to be there when it was niche. I remember collating all the various versions of dawn of the dead and editing an ultimate version together on VHS back in the late 80s, oh how times have changed with the genre!

I think what draws me to this is the survival element and consistent world (based on the videos anyway). Could be a fun place to exist, might not be. I’ve not pre-ordered, I had let this go off my radar as I anticipated being let down (and am not a ‘fast’ zombie fan), but the previews have brought it back to my attention.

Will see how reviews go but would be good to scratch the itch.

Zombies are just the macguffin, I guess.

I've been bugging @Graham to put a sombre Row, Row, Row Your Boat campfire scene along with a Tuesday's Gone cover as the end credit song while you chop wood during a low angle sunset. :V

*Two's Days Gone because reasons.

Do they ? I think they should put more emphasis on the actual story, and less on the the world open world systems.

Games almost never reveal much about the story ahead of launch, the idea is the story unfolds as you play. This is common to pretty much every AAA single-player experience: GTA, Gears of War, Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted, Halo, Elder Scrolls, The Last of Us, The Witcher, Fallout, God of War, Watch Dogs, Mass Effect, Assassin Creed, Horizon Zero Dawn etc. From the previews, little has been revealed to media about the story but even if it had been, it would certainly be embargoed.

That said, they did release a story trailer.

TLOU is a Zombie story. You can do whatever you want with zombies in a videogame. The sky is the limit.

Nothing was known about TLoU's story before launch.

I'm not surprised. Games with a a big open world, hopefully interesting systems at play to make gameplay unpredictable/exciting, where the combat is good, where there are things to do, where you were things to collect, skills trees, a feeling of advancement? These are games that typically do well as long as the game is technically competent.

A lot of Ubisoft games don't set the ratings ablaze but Ubisoft keep making them presumably because a lot of like and buy them. Critics raved about Red Dead Redemption 2 but the actual feeling for gamers was a bit meh. Critics are not always in tune with gamers, or at least the vocal gamers.

I'm not surprised. Games with a a big open world, hopefully interesting systems at play to make gameplay unpredictable/exciting, where the combat is good, where there are things to do, where you were things to collect, skills trees, a feeling of advancement? These are games that typically do well as long as the game is technically competent.

A lot of Ubisoft games don't set the ratings ablaze but Ubisoft keep making them presumably because a lot of like and buy them. Critics raved about Red Dead Redemption 2 but the actual feeling for gamers was a bit meh. Critics are not always in tune with gamers, or at least the vocal gamers.
What was wrong with RDR2 for gamers ?

It played like something from 10 years ago? Minus the freedom you'd have had in a similar game from 10 years ago? Seriously, I cannot think of any AAA game that came out whithin the last 10 years that felt so bad in my hands and had similarly restrictive mission parameters. This includes R*'s own games. GTA5 wasn't particularly snappy to the touch either, but comparatively speaking it was friggin' Devil May Cry.

I'm pretty fed up with the Ubisoft formula myself. Mostly because those games have all crossed the line of where enough was enough ages ago. That said, whether it's Assassin's Creed or Far Cry or Star Link or The Division, they all play really well and are excellent at stimulating that lizard brain which really likes to fill bars.

Last edited:
What was wrong with RDR2 for gamers ?

I enjoyed RDR2 but I'm not blind to Arthur handling sluggishly, both when reacting to player stimulus as well deliberate decisions like only ever being able to walk slowly around camp and other certain areas combined with the limited fast travel system which effectively forces you to ride almost everywhere. Topped off with the frustratingly inconsistent interface, it detracts from what could otherwise be an outstanding experience.

This past weekend I started up RDR2 for the first time since completing the game last November and the control system was an immediate barrier. It took a good ten minutes to get back into the swing of things then I realised I had saved over near plague-ridden Armadillo and had a long-arse ride to get anywhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno how it's gonna turn out, but at the very least looks great. Someone got an early copy; best looking UE4 game I've seen.

D4iF8PoXoAEmp0M.jpg

D4iF8PnWwAAKlDZ.jpg:orig

D4iF8PqW0AAKDs5.jpg:orig

Yeah the screen space shadow on the foliage looks fantastic, does add a lot to the detail.

I'm pretty sure these are all photomode captures so not representative of gameplay. From what I have seen of actual gameplay the presentation is more than good enough for me so now my purchase rests on actual game play. I think this will hit the spot for me just like State of Decay did.

I'm pretty sure these are all photomode captures so not representative of gameplay. From what I have seen of actual gameplay the presentation is more than good enough for me so now my purchase rests on actual game play. I think this will hit the spot for me just like State of Decay did.
I highly doubt this effect is only for Photomode tho, most of other non photomode screenshots I've seen have this effect too.

edit: okay, interesting, snow fall seems entirely dynamic. I.e. unlike most games where the dev designates areas as clear or snow or inbetween and snowfall is largely just an effect, in Days Gone snow actually builds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bend is 130 people now. Quite a small team for a AAA openworld game [and their previous game was for Vita].

Hopefully they will not end up like Ready at Dawn, the last team of this size that tried to make an ambitious AAA game for Sony [they were at ~100 when they shipped The Order].

Since The Order 1886, Ready at Dawn have shipped several games with much higher metacritic (~89%) scores :yep2:

Back