Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [pre E3 2019] *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
would love for the nextgen consoles to be user-upgradable beyond just the storage.. nice modular pieces parts. Oh, you want the midgen cpu and gpu upgrade? Just slide out the main board model and slide in this upgrade board. All similiar to older style laptop modules.

Ah yes, the holy grail that was MXM then MXM rev 2.0 then MXM rev 3.0 then.. :runaway:

Wouldn't the cost be way more than a monolithic design? The performance increase would be very sweet tho.
It would. There is very little in common between processors designed for consumer devices and processors designed for servers. The onboard cache on a server CPU would cost more than any console and if failed server binning, you'd still need a bespoke motherboard with an extra 120+ pins.

a good point i didn't consider. Are you thinking like, flexible in terms of binning the chips? Or looking to serve a variety of different configurations by mixing different chiplets ?

Yes, I'm thinking of them using the same CPU chiplet across all their designs and binning it accordingly. Same for GPU, especially if its good enough for machine learning compute workloads.

Wouldn't the cost be way more than a monolithic design? The performance increase would be very sweet tho.

I actually don't know. It depends on the cost and yields of 7nm. Is a 7nm SOC that's in the ballpack of 350-400mm cheaper to produce than a ~80mm CPU chiplet + a 300mm GPU chiplet in a package? It depends on how quickly yields fall off with chip size. The cost is not a linear increase at some point it starts going up at a greater then linear rate. I think there's a point where chiplet design becomes more economical and that's why AMD is going down that route.

I could see MS saying that we're going to buy 100M+ (or insert some large number) CPU and GPU chiplets that will be used across Xbox and cloud (hell maybe even Surface products). Buying that many in bulk and amortizing the cost across product lines could be a huge boon to Xbox. Up until now, if the console SoC didn't meet requirements, it's done for (at least as far as I know) so the average cost of a chip is much higher then if you had tiers of product lines that the lesser binned chips could go in to.

Yes, I'm thinking of them using the same CPU chiplet across all their designs and binning it accordingly. Same for GPU, especially if its good enough for machine learning compute workloads.
[...]

It's interesting that you mention this, because something like that was send a while back to a good friend of mine that works for one of the larger european tech/games/console websites. Since this is the baseless next gen rumors thread I've reached out to him after I saw you're post, and asked if I can share it.

He told me the person who send them the info provided them correct information in the past. But he only ever provides information as a middleman. Basically: "my brother knows someone, that in turn knows someone, whose grandma knows a dog which is the pet of an Engineer working on project XXX, which brought her a schematic for XYZ" type of stories.

Of course they wanted more assurance. But since they didn't get it from the middlemans source they didn't published it. The gist of it is:

Apparently the source was "leaking" this stuff to keep the expactations in check after reading many unrealistic expactations of over 14 TFLOP on the forums. The middleman sat down with a new source and received information on Lockhart, Anaconda, the Dev Kit and xCloud/Anthem v3. According to himself the middleman was very skeptical and asked the source to answer all questions and write everything down on the spot in order to see if they make mistakes or pause for a while which would make the info even more suspect. But according to the middleman that was not the case, everything was written down fluidly, so he made pictures of the pages and send them to the website my friend works for.

The amount written down: 11 A4 pages pure text and 5 A4 pages with data/drawings. I've only seen 5 pages text and 3 pages data/drawings. Some data is made unreadable, I don't know what was written there. I also don't know what was written on the other pages since I've never seen them.

I'm allowed to share these 8 pages:

Page 1: weird-leak-1.jpg
Page 2: weird-leak-2.jpg
Page 3: weird-leak-3.jpg
Page 4: weird-leak-4.jpg
Page 5: weird-leak-5.jpg
Specs: specs.jpg
Layout: layout.jpg
Config: config.jpg

Maybe it's the x surface guy again:

Code:
http://web.archive.org/web/20130207062746/http://x-surface.tumblr.com/

I like the config section, this is very similar to the states games are in for the exclusive OS on Xbox one, only the OS forces the game into them and the game must respect it, is full screen it gets full, onto.dash with the game showing was 60% say and then in the background was lower.
This was not elective profiles tho.

Maybe I'm being too skeptical but this info seems like something one of our more astute members could drum up with enough time, research and creativity.

Maybe I'm being too skeptical but this info seems like something one of our more astute members could drum up with enough time, research and creativity.
It requires specialized equipment which few of us have access to in our office. Like blank A4 paper, I wouldn't know were to get that other than stealing it from inside the printer at the other side of the building.

It requires specialized equipment which few of us have access to in our office. Like blank A4 paper, I wouldn't know were to get that other than stealing it from inside the printer at the other side of the building.

Maybe we can work on the plan to get the specialized equipment? First we need some post-its to plan this op.

2X Zen chiplets with half of the cores disabled seems like a definite no go for me. That's around 70-80mm2 of wasted silicon right there. Heat distribution was the reason given for that and it just doesn't add up in any way in a console design.

Why? They might get them a lot cheaper and the heat is spread over 2 than one hotspot. It might also allow higher clocks.

Why? They might get them a lot cheaper and the heat is spread over 2 than one hotspot. It might also allow higher clocks.

I think the debate is whether we have a separate CPU and GPU die vs an APU, not whether we have 2 CPU dies and a GPU die. These consoles are still very much a GPU focused devises where the power budget is going to be on the graphics side. a 7nm Zen 2 with the proposed clocks is not going to run into troubles with having just one die. The cooling challenge will be on GPU side of the die/APU. Having that amount of redundancy on the CPU would be quite silly imo.

I think it's pretty obvious this won't be an APU but an IO-Die with Zen2 chiplets and probably a GPU linked by Infinity Fabric.

I think it's pretty obvious this won't be an APU but an IO-Die with Zen2 chiplets and probably a GPU linked by Infinity Fabric.

I think his argument is why would you use two cpu chiplets instead of one? You are basically using an entire chiplet for nothing other than cooling purposes. Is that the cheapest way to combat a cooling issue?

Last edited:
Well with a 1.8GHz GPU part I'm pretty confident 10TFlops will be the minimum baseline for PS5 unless Gonzalo is for anaconda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back