Texture cache of the N64 vs. that of Playstation

it's internal edge antialiasing you can't disable. though i guess maybe that's a good thing...

alKCKFT.png

Don't confuse edge AA with texture filtering.

Don't confuse edge AA with texture filtering.

Yeah, you're right now that I think about it. But, I know they use the RDP blender (color combiner) for texture filtering. No idea if there's a way to disable it lol.

So what's the count here..
silhouette coverage-based AA (can disable with gameshark codes)
internal edge AA (not disable-able now, would require modifying game code)
texture filtering (only disable-able in emulators)
dither filter (probably not worth disabling :p)
horizontal blur/VI filter? (the HDMI mod removes this I think?)

Last edited:
N64's analytical edge AA based on Wu's line algorithm is a work of art. Arguably, it's more precise (at polygon edge AA) than anything done today (when it works). It does not make n64 graphics less clear. To the contrary, it makes them more precise. What makes N64 slightly too blurry is the video interface blur added on top of the frame buffer to hide dither and further soften the parts where the AA did not work so well. That and many games just rendered at lower res and upscaled (what a precursor)
But the edge AA is great. Some devs even experimented doing something similar through shaders at the start of the current gen, but it's quality was restricted by lack of conservative rasterization hardware support. I still have wet dreams in which next gen analythical edge AA becomes a standard feature on next gen and I make sweet love to the TV screen, but I always wake up all exasperated right when things start to get real hot.

EDIT: The auto correct had changed "work of art" into "is too of the line" I wondering what I could have possibly misstyped to get that correction.

Last edited:
Yeah the AA actually seems pretty decent, some of the people in that thread were saying games look best with just the VI filter disabled.

Back