Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
RT 3D immersive audio is more than just surround sound.
Its about where sounds can be heard from, muffled, clear, bounced of walls through doors or windows etc
It makes a huge difference to the immersion of games.

And yet you have had gaming for decades without shiny 3D Audio without most players complaining about the lack of it. The absence of 3D audio from VR would be disorienting and immersion breaking, hence essential. I've never said it was not useful on non-VR, but further development of it in VR games, may as well bring new things to the non-VR side. Why is that so hard to understand or accept, really?

That's not how this works.
Myopia is caused by continuous focus to a short range. It isn't dependent on how far the light source is from the eye. On VR you're not focusing on the distance between the screen and the eye, you're focusing on the virtual position of the virtual object.
VR is as likely to cause myopia as you going on a stroll outdoors, unless you keep focusing on close virtual objects.

In fact, transitioning from using monitors to VR/AR headsets is probably going to radically decrease myopia in the workplace. In VR you can create gigantic virtual screens 50 meters away from you.
I'm well aware of what VR can do, I have virtual desktop on steam.

Then we're reading conflicting reports. I'm not entirely convinced of this. Though I fully understand what you're saying, but i'm not entirely convinced of it either.
I don't think VR headsets will be capable of outputting the lux requirements that our eyes require in all environments. But we'll see, when the studies are finished we'll know more.

I don't think VR headsets will be capable of outputting the lux requirements that our eyes require in all environments. But we'll see, when the studies are finished we'll know more.

Why? We already have HDR TVs that are capable of thousands of nits.

Why? We already have HDR TVs that are capable of thousands of nits.
I think we need about 10000 lux, i could be wrong, but just some old numbers I recall, I'm not sure if mobile screens can produce that much - comparing my phone to my monitor, there's no chance right now my phone competes with the brightness of my monitor. It most certainly can't compete with my OLED tv, none of my screens can.

it's hard to say... like I said it's fine to be on either position, since nothing is certain yet, but I just paid for eye surgery, my eyes are an investment for as long as I can keep em in that condition.

I think we need about 10000 lux, i could be wrong, but just some old numbers I recall, I'm not sure if mobile screens can produce that much - comparing my phone to my monitor, there's no chance right now my phone competes with the brightness of my monitor. It most certainly can't compete with my OLED tv, none of my screens can.

it's hard to say... like I said it's fine to be on either position, since nothing is certain yet, but I just paid for eye surgery, my eyes are an investment for as long as I can keep em in that condition.

What? 10000? My Sony TV outputs 1000 nits and I already think is too high whenever I pop up an HDR enabled game lol.

Don't forget that inside a VR headset you are much closer to the screen and peripheral vision is blocked, so the space that needs to be filled with light is much less than a living room. 10000 nits at the distance your eyes are from the screen would most likely damage your eyes really.

I have myopia and wear contact lenses. My "level" has been stable for some years. I play quite a bit of VR. I did frequent 3-4 sessions with Skyrim VR for several months. It did not affect my vision at all, next time I did an eye check nothing had changed.

Why are people on this forum using misconceptions as facts against VR? The sweat argument is really silly. It will depend on the person, game being played and environmental temperature. The only times I've sweat in VR was when playing Beat Saber or Creed. But that had nothing to do with VR but those being very active games! It's like claiming you should not run or go to the gym because you will sweat lol!

Last edited:
What? 10000? My Sony TV outputs 1000 nits and I already think is too high whenever I pop up an HDR enabled game lol.
i don't think lux and nits are measuring the same thing, so I can look up a conversion, but IIRC nits is a measurement of brightness, Lux is a measurement of illumination.
I think the argument is whether or not VR is the main goal for PS5. I just don't it being that because I don't think VR (as a device being sold to customers) is there yet.

edit: as per Tot's chart
10,000–25,000 Full daylight (not direct sun)[3]
32,000–100,000 Direct sunlight

so yea I guess good healthy eyes are given a good dose of indirect sunlight from time to time.

I'm sure vr will have a bigger place in the console market, which may be why they're aiming for a higher initial price point (better hardware for VR), and the 3D audio is a big deal with VR. The primary use of consoles will still be with a gamepad and a tv or monitor. Positional audio, or accurate audio will still be a big immersion factor, and great for competitive games. I fully expect to see a PSVR2, I just don't know if it'll be ready at launch. Should be able to get much better VR games using the original PSVR headset using a PS5.

Perhaps we are using too many pc terms and ideas, the next gen may be more exotic or creative like the consoles of old, whilst still keeping the CPU and GPU that should make them easy to develop for.

And has their HBCC, why limit your design to either a single memory pool or a set HDD interface from pc world.

Sony appear to have achieved great things with fast starting games of glacially slow blu ray disks. I wonder if their SSD is more like a ram drive, directly accessible via the HBCC and fed with the same sort of smart technology.

Don't forget that inside a VR headset you are much closer to the screen and peripheral vision is blocked, so the space that needs to be filled with light is much less than a living room. 10000 nits at the distance your eyes are from the screen would most likely damage your eyes really.

I have myopia and wear contact lenses. My "level" has been stable for some years. I play quite a bit of VR. I did frequent 3-4 sessions with Skyrim VR for several months. It did not affect my vision at all, next time I did an eye check nothing had changed.

Why are people on this forum using misconceptions as facts against VR? The sweat argument is really silly. It will depend on the person, game being played and environmental temperature. The only times I've sweat in VR was when playing Beat Saber or Creed. But that had nothing to do with VR but those being very active games! It's like claiming you should not run or go to the gym because you will sweat lol!

10,000 nits I believe is what Dolby believe is required, however when comparing to current sets remember at the moment we lack really local brightness variation, so high brightness makes larger areas than intended bright (not good hdr)

Ideally it will be 1% screen portions that bright, a spark or a flame not the whole side of a car at that peak.
Large or full screen brightness should stay close to the 200nit range.

Can people please stay on target! This is not a thread for discussing HDR display brightness or any other obvious tangents. It's very easy for this thread to collapse under the weight of tangents to the many points raised in the PS5 story and it's far better that you guys self moderate than expect one of us Mods to clean it up in our spare time when we could be getting trounced in Apex Legends or making a furry blob thing sort of like a teddy bear, caterpillar maybe, but dang does it look fluffy, in Dreams.

Last edited:
And yet you have had gaming for decades without shiny 3D Audio without most players complaining about the lack of it.
It's been a hard sell, because you sell people on the idea of 3D audio without them trying it, kinda same as VR. Audio has definitely stagnated, but for those who have been following the potential, an actual next-gen step in surround audio is an obvious plus. It absolutely does ground you in a game space, even if looking at a screen, so I can definitely see someone like Cerny looking at 3D audio independently of VR. That's not to say his choice isn't VR driven - perhaps it is - but if it wasn't, it wouldn't be a weird choice at all. Once everyone has gotten used to it, there'll be no going back. Having the console that provided that where the other didn't (which isn't happening this time around) would also be a real game changer. If XB1 had had true 3D sound, say, it'd have competed against PS4 better despite inferior graphics, because the popular games that people play would have a level of immersion that a bit higher res and framerate can't compare to.

The take home for me is actually that we are going to get a next-gen with some real excitement. We'll have 3D soundscapes that place you in the action, and we'll have RT assisted rendering with visuals that are actually grounded. Those afraid of diminishing returns have nothing to fear even if some numbers on a spreadsheet aren't as big as they'd hope or expect.

Last edited:
Why do people assume the die size is gonna be the same if they think the PS5 is gonna be more exepensive than the PS4 and this time they could even sell at a loss? Do they assume the extra money will go to memory, better cooling and the SSD?

I think this generation of consoles has conditioned us to think 350mm^2 is a good target. Realistically, when you consider die per wafer, defect density, volume needed, power density and a myriad of other factors, it’s probably at a sweet spot for console cooling and economics. 7nm wafer cost is up, but that’s due to processing steps. Steps can always be yield detractors, but we don’t have much insight into how 7nm will yield.

I will say TSMC’s new 6nm process is interesting because it’s essentially an optical shrink for 7nm with EUV steps. That could be an economic boon for consoles in the very near term.

Don’t count out Samsung either. Console chips changed from GloFo to TSMC last gen, so it can happen again.

10 000 lux is on the lower spectrum of the illuminance present in daylight. Office lighting goes up to 500 lux.
High-end smartphones like the Galaxy S10 claim 1000 nits, but measure up to 800 nits or so.

I think 1 lux = 1 nit if the light source is directed at the eye.

Seems to me that 10 000 lux could damage the eye, but I'm not really sure to be honest.

If I’m going to go blind, my TV being too awesome is top of the list.

If XB1 had had true 3D sound, say, it'd have competed against PS4 better despite inferior graphics, because the popular games that people play would have a level of immersion that a bit higher res and framerate can't compare to.
This is an interesting discussion because I sort of see Picao's point on this one; granted I love audio and I'm more than willing to invest to get better audio. But, DXR is now available on a very popular GPU family and DXR can be on both Xbox One and X1X, and pretty much any family of AMD card that AMD wants to. And in doing so, we could support DXR type audio in games today. We don't need to wait for next generation at all. But that still hasn't happened. The discussion around RT audio seems added as a side note often and I've yet to see it as a centre piece.

I think we could get away with 3d ray traced audio on lower hardware requirements.

The take home for me is actually that we are going to get a next-gen without some real excitement. We'll have 3D soundscapes that place you in the action, and we'll have RT assisted rendering with visuals that are actually grounded. Those afraid of diminishing returns have nothing to fear even if some numbers on a spreadsheet aren't as big as they'd hope or expect.

Did you mean "with"? Because the next bit directly contradicts without?

Somewhere in internetz there is comment from john carmack on positional audio with proper head transform functions where he claimed in one test he wasn't able to distinguish between 3d positional audio coming from headphones or from environment.

To me it feels perfect positional audio is doable with good headphones. It's great sony is going into this direction. I can only imagine how something like metal gear solid would feel with excellent positional audio.

Really love the direction where games don't only go for more pretty pixels. There is so many other ways to enhance gaming experience.

I believe pubg has great audio model which gives advantage to players with machines capable running proper audio(it's very heavy)

Perhaps we are using too many pc terms and ideas, the next gen may be more exotic or creative like the consoles of old, whilst still keeping the CPU and GPU that should make them easy to develop for.

Yup that's what I'm expecting as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back