Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing some conclusions in this thread about the type of memory present but the Wired article seems to leave that point open ended... Also I've been skeptical of multiple launch SKUs, the current situation Pro and the 1X I think were a function of mid generation move from 1080p to 4k TV'S which might lead to another mid generation refresh but I'm even more convinced it's not likely at launch...

Reactions: JPT
So torn. On the one hand, I have to 'like' if the ND dev is saying there's hardware RT. On the other hand, he's a lighting artist, not a lightning artist, and people keep making that mistake and it does my head in!!! :runaway:

Leave the lightning to the costumers, please. ;-)
Painful tweet to wake up to. Lol.
Back to sleep

Hi,

I already asked on reddit yesterday but got only a single response because it was buried under all the other comments. So I deciced to register and ask here as well.

When I first saw the reddit rumor about the HBM + DDR4 combination in the PS5 I was sceptical (I'm still am), but when the wired article with Mark Cerny released I directly thought about a post from DimitryKo that I read not long ago:

I disagree. Vega includes a lot of useful new features which Navi would definitely use and expand on. For a start, HBCC virtual memory paging capabilities look especially promising in a game console.

Consider an IO die with a HBCC derived memory controller, and HBM3 die on the package in a high-end SKU. This configuration could give you:
* 4-8 GB of local HBM3 memory - 512 GByte/s;
* 8-16 GB of DDR5 system memory - 30-50 GByte/s;
* 30-60 GB of NVRAM scratchpad memory - 3-5 GByte/s.
All this memory would be connected directly to the crossbar memory/cache controller and mapped into virtual address space, with the ability to detect and unload idle pages from local memory to another partition.

That would be a cross between complicated high-speed memory subsystems of PS3 and Xbox One, but without the burden of manual memory management. Just load your assets all at once, and the OS will move them between memory partitions as necessary.

So, my questions is: if we replace HBM3 with HBM2 and DDR5 with DDR4 from DimitryKo's example, gives the inclusion of such a (probably) ~3 GB/s. fast NAND storage the rumor more credibility?

Right so 52 CU's even at a fairly optimisitc1.5GHz clock speed is going to give 10TFlops. A lot of rumours and wishful thinking I have seen on other forums are expecting it to be around 14TFops. I just don't see how that is happening.

The 56 CUs die with 52 usable to boost yield is interesting. AdoredTV posted something along those lines as well (you can ignore the NSFW warning, nothing NSFW in that thread ):

Since I can't post links you have to add the reddit domain yourself:

Code:
/r/Amd/comments/a44f4b/the_excel_spreadsheet_ryzen_leak_was_me_it_is_not/ebduehp/

Going back to a somewhat serious discussion, I found it revealing that Cerny used Spider-Man as a demo, when I was the first one who said that RT would be a godsend in this game - imagine those perfect reflections on buildings all over the city. I said it months ago on here. I’m making it all about me again. Cause it is, always, about me!

AMD & Valve GDC19 presentation on GPU Ray Traced 3D Audio (available on PC today)
https://gpuopen.com/gdc-presentations/2019/gdc-2019-s3-powering-spatial-audio.pptx

OwG1lqc.jpg

qV67rCF.jpg

UhwK9ZH.jpg

7r0Nrva.jpg

Last edited:
I think that's true here too, perhaps it makes sense if you think VR will take off but I'm somewhat skeptical that advance audio is something much if the public is in a position to take advantage of.

The 3D Audio improvements and the focus on the next Playstation not being only an increment but a game changer, immersing people and giving a sense of presence in games just screams VR to me.

I know I'm heavily biased on it, but... I think PS5 is really built around VR. That is not to say that what benefits VR won't benefit non-VR, quite the contrary, as the fast loading speed to reduce texture/geometry popups benefits both, for example.

The only reason Sony may not be so outspoken about it is the large crowd that still doubts VR and the backlash that would ensue.

The 3D Audio improvements and the focus on the next Playstation not being only an increment but a game changer, immersing people and giving a sense of presence in games just screams VR to me.

I know I'm heavily biased on it, but... I think PS5 is really built around VR. That is not to say that what benefits VR won't benefit non-VR, quite the contrary, as the fast loading speed to reduce texture/geometry popups benefits both, for example.

The only reason Sony may not be so outspoken about it is the large crowd that still doubts VR and the backlash that would ensue.
The reality is that whichever way you look at it, VR is and probably will always be a niche, and it would be insane for Sony to focus on VR as much as you say. Sorry, it's just not going to happen. The average Joe will never, ever buy and use a VR set as much as other non-VR games. I'm saying this as a PSVR owner.

Last edited:
The reality is that whichever way you look at it, VR is and probably will always be a niche, and it would be insane for Sony to focus on VR as much as you say. Sorry, it's just not going to happen. The average Joe will never, ever buy and use a VR set as much as other non-VR games. I'm saying this as a PSVR owner.

Read again what I said. Being based around VR does not have to mean that VR would the main way to play it. But technologies that are useful for VR can also be very useful in non-VR games. In other words, having a focus on VR possibly leads to more "innovation" in the game experience, including non VR, than just aiming at the next increase in resolution. Kinda like developing technologies for space or war end up having consumer applications.

Well, you did literally write 'I think PS5 is really built around VR' :mrgreen:

With that initial assumption, you then wrote the rest.

I fail to see how, in real world terms, technologies that are useful for VR will translate well for non-VR content.

Three SSD patents filed by Sony Interactive Entertainment on 20151002 and published in 2017.(Japanese)

One for data storage/sorting method
https://www.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp/web/PU/JPA_H29068804/C034C1D601A046A6B06A1242548518F1

The second one is for compress/decompress method
https://www.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp/web/PU/JPA_H29068805/C034C1D601A046A621C026B0940513F2

The last one is for reducing power consumption
https://www.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp/web/PU/JPA_H29068806/C034C1D601A046A63F6B7EFE1B2E6174
Can you read Japanese? Curious how you know the content as i don’t see English language equivalents.

Read again what I said. Being based around VR does not have to mean that VR would the main way to play it. But technologies that are useful for VR can also be very useful in non-VR games. In other words, having a focus on VR possibly leads to more "innovation" in the game experience, including non VR, than just aiming at the next increase in resolution. Kinda like developing technologies for space or war end up having consumer applications.
Maybe it's the examples you gave that are the problem?
Example:
3D audio currently already done on X1 with atmos and sonic audio. Next natural progression is object based/wave traced. So is it unexpected that ps5 would include it regardless of vr?

In general the examples you give have side effect of benefiting vr rather than other way around.

Only questioning your statement about what screens people use, consider that the PS5 won’t be launched until the end of 2020, and remain the base platform for much of that decade. 4k TV sets have already dominated retail for years here and is in a position now that is shifting from being a step up from HD to being a step down from 8k.
I don’t think that the PS5 will be connected to many HD-TV sets in 2025.

By then a potential mid-cycle refresh that is the PS5Pro will be out. But a "normal" gen is better and less conufsing to some. 1 console for 6/7 years.

Maybe it's the examples you gave that are the problem?
Example:
3D audio currently already done on X1 with atmos and sonic audio. Next natural progression is object based/wave traced. So is it unexpected that ps5 would include it regardless of vr?

In general the examples you give have side effect of benefiting vr rather than other way around.

I'm sorry but 3D Audio has more benefits in VR than non-VR. On non-VR you are always looking in the same direction towards the screen, while in VR you are actually moving your body around. While you can definitely play a non-VR game with just regular surround fine, as you are static, but that would not work at all in VR, It would be very confusing.

To be honest, I'm not even sure we are talking about the same "3D Audio". Atmos creates a 3D sound stage, but it does not really take into account where the user is, just what is going on in the picture. With VR tracking you can actually position sound according to the user's height, where his arms/hands are, etc...

Last edited:
Well I guess Raytracing might actually proliferate come next gen then with a major player already on board. Assuming you wanna run it with a decent resolution say 1080-1440p from a ~12TF gpu, how in the hell would third party devs and even MS first party dev sprinkle it on a supposed ~6TF Lockhart? I highly doubt they would settle for 720p right off the bat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back