Sony Playstation Marketing: a quiet place in days gone?

Oooh they're silent because everything is going wrong with the software and hardware! It must be!
The FUD rethoric in this thread...
Like you claiming people were saying everything's going wrong with the software and hardware just now. Who exactly said that?!

And when was the last time we had another formal communication from Sony? Exactly 3 weeks ago with State of Play.
So much for the supposed "Quiet Place" from Sony's marketing that is plastered in the thread's title, huh?
First off relax.
Some members had concerns as to what was a reasonable explanation for a complete lack of communications prior to state of play.

Mr Fox indicated that the lack of anything major could be he result of a marketing group change.

In the end, the reason for the thread was because of a lack of communications until recently.

I’m glad that they are coming forward with official news that we as a forum have largely already determined with the exception of the loading times.

Yes. It’s that good to get a confirm. To hear something back is what is important. Because you can see what happens when you don’t echo something back for too long.

I don't see anything there saying everything's going wrong with the software and hardware. It's mostly saying Sony's standing still. You have some weird interpretation.

I puked in my mouth while reading this nonsensical hyperbolic trash. Paid "jounarlism" FTW /s
Exclusive reveals are always fluff pieces. I don't think Sony had to pay anything to wired because their article will be linked to the infinite and they'll get a lot of revenue for it. Same thing with Nintendo to Eurogamer AFAIK.
Unless you think the interviewer should have used this opportunity press Mark Cerny about how Knack 1 and 2 were poorly received, there's hardly any "tough questions" you can place during an exclusive specs/features reveal story.

Because you can see what happens when you don’t echo something back for too long.
What does, outside of news-hungry forum dwellers getting impatient?

I don't see anything there saying everything's going wrong with the software and hardware. It's mostly saying Sony's standing still. You have some weird interpretation.
It's mostly saying Sony's standing still (2-3 days after State of Play, which is odd in and off itself) and a bunch of obscure and super far-fetched stuff that would happen if they kept standing still, like people doing mental pre-order locks on Xbox because Sony wasn't being as communicative as they wanted 1 year prior to release.

It's like me driving on a highway and keeping a state of super high stress because if I don't turn eventually I'll hit a wall.

About a dozen users called out for the pointlessness of the discussion, but it just kept going.

Given that the article is very vague in details, at least for this forum audience, I would think this is some sort of knee jerk reaction to the backlash they received from the State of Play broadcast.

Especially with the mention of raytracing as a new buzz word in the graphics area. It will be able to do it, but will it be able to do it well? I kinda doubt Navi was designed with raytracing in mind, but we will see.

They also avoided to spend too much time talking about VR (although I'm happy that PSVR will be compatible with it), which was something that sparked an outcry in the State of Play.

All in all, this reads to me like just a way on staying in the news, to dismiss rumours, rather than an energetic marketing initiative. Then again Mark Cerny is an impressively quiet and calm guy, so that's why lol.

It's mostly saying Sony's standing still (2-3 days after State of Play, which is odd in and off itself) and a bunch of obscure and super far-fetched stuff that would happen if they kept standing still, like people doing mental pre-order locks on Xbox because Sony wasn't being as communicative as they wanted 1 year prior to release.
You're being ridiculously hyperbolic. The argument wasn't that people would rush out and preorder Xboxes, but they'd give Xbox more attention than they would if otherwise. And none of this is claiming the software or hardware is going wrong.

You probably need to step back a bit and listen to the arguments actually being presented, which is simply, "lack of news and content is worse than having news and content," and I've no idea how anyone can argue with that.

You probably need to step back a bit and listen to the arguments actually being presented, which is simply, "lack of news and content is worse than having news and content," and I've no idea how anyone can argue with that.

Granted, maybe I do need to step back and listen more carefully, but maybe I'm not the only one.
Osborne effect.
Which I presented here, as a direct quote from you:
- The right time for announcing new stuff hasn't come yet because they don't want to Osborne their hardware and software lineup.
If there's a PS5 coming up in March 2020, Sony talking about how it will offer feature XYZ would instantly make them lose millions of PS4 Slim/Pro sales.

Granted, maybe I do need to step back and listen more carefully, but maybe I'm not the only one.
Osborne effect.
Which I presented here, as a direct quote from you:
The request for more from Sony wasn't an announcement of their next new product, but talk about their ecosystem and vision. eg. Saying their next console would be BC (something Cerny's just admitted to) could be done without revealing PS5. Such a move would have: 1) kept consumers engaged more than keeping silent. 2) Improved consumer confidence in the current product because they know their games are going with them. Sony could mention that the next console would work with PSVR too. Other examples given were things like press releases on first party performance in the light of MS's visible studio acquisitions. And other things talked of were things like development initiatives.

Weird way to announce (acknowledge?) a new product but hell, Microsoft's E3 reveal of Xbox One X 'teaser' seventeen months before it was available was also weird.

So this is how consoles will get announced going forward, just like the arrival of the Spanish inquisition, when you least expect it! :runaway:

So no later than say November 2020?

I'm not convinced Sony's timetable will centre on November, if you remove the need to launch with a bunch of games because you now have backwards compatibility, you can launch any time your hardware production is ready and you have some genuinely new games to really show off your system. I'd say March, April, May are real possibilities, as is September and October.

Seems it’s too soon to retire to my cave.

From a consumer's perspective - "lack of news and content is worse than having news and content". I've no idea how anyone can argue with that.

Does that work better?

Sometimes news can go stale, maybe this is the beginning of a drip-feed? Certainly I (and other members) have no complaints. I’m not looking to have an affair because my wife hasn’t spoken to me for a week! Lol

The request for more from Sony wasn't an announcement of their next new product, but talk about their ecosystem and vision. eg. Saying their next console would be BC (something Cerny's just admitted to) could be done without revealing PS5. Such a move would have: 1) kept consumers engaged more than keeping silent. 2) Improved consumer confidence in the current product because they know their games are going with them. Sony could mention that the next console would work with PSVR too. Other examples given were things like press releases on first party performance in the light of MS's visible studio acquisitions. And other things talked of were things like development initiatives.

Again, no evidence of waning support,,,apparently Days Gone has seen stellar digital pre-orders. Likewise they have stated PSVR is supported by PS5 so, yeah, Sony just made happy fans happier.

I'm not convinced Sony's timetable will centre on November, if you remove the need to launch with a bunch of games because you now have backwards compatibility, you can launch any time your hardware production is ready and you have some genuinely new games to really show off your system. I'd say March, April, May are real possibilities, as is September and October.

I sure hope so. I would really like to get my hands on it sooner than later. I think the time table for the next reveal will be a good indicator of when it's launching.

I think if we have a 2020 Q2 release, we'll get a big reveal in Q4. Fingers crossed.

I sure hope so. I would really like to get my hands on it sooner than later. I think the time table for the next reveal will be a good indicator of when it's launching.

Sony have done it before; PSP launched worldwide in October, PS3 in Europe in March, Vita outside of Japan in February. I think if PS5 is ready for a March 2020 launch they will do it. They are advantages: Day one and very early adopters will buy it regardless, if it sells out and semi-early adopters can't get it, unless there is a sudden glut of games (like Holidays/Christmas) people may be more inclined to save to buy the new hardware and there is a respectable six month gap to do some serious price carving for Black Friday and wider holidays when the usual bunch of games appear before Christmas.

It helps if PS5 isn't "just" backwards compatible with PS4 but offers genuinely improved performance like Xbox One. This offers a genuine incentive to replay older games, much like buying a new graphics card for your PC and replaying games you loved with even more eye candy. :yes:

If Sony are going to release first half of Q2, why not attend E3?

Because an announcement in June this year about a hopeful release nine months later really ties you to that. Maybe everything is not 100%, remember how PS4 went from 4Gb to 8Gb with virtually no knowledge by first parties?

Back