Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, XBX dev-kit has more GPU power and same CPU power as retail XBX (and obviously 2x more GDDR5).
same GPU, just that none of its silicon is redundant. So all CUs enabled. A lot of the Scorpio units could probably be fully enabled to be honest. But the price is going to go way up to make that a baseline.

I doubt we are ever going to see this but Sony did have this patented during the PS3 era. Never became reality and maybe they have sold it.
I searched but I cant find it now. But I remember clearly that it had these extensions on fingers that could give feedback to the player and resist when the player was supposed to hold something

Take with a massive grain of salt. Probably not real, but here is the supposed PS5 memory configuraton.
Some things don't make sense, but anyway here's the text from reddit

PS5 memory and storage systems

• 24 GB RAM in total (20 GB usable by games)

• 8 GB in form of 2 * 4-Hi stacks HBM2

• Sony got "amazing" deal for HBM

• in part due to them buying up bad chips from other customers which can't run higher then 1.6 Gbps while keeping 1.2v.

• HBM is expected to scale down in price a lot more than GDDR6 over the console lifetime

• Samsung, Micron and SK Hynix already shifting part of their capacity towards HBM due to falling NAND prices

• Sony will be one of the first high volume customers of TSMCs InFO_MS when mass production starts later this year (normal InFo already used by Apple in their iPhone)

• InFO_MS brings down the cost compared to traditional silicon interposers - has thermal and performance advantage as well

• InFO_MS allows them to drive their 1.6 Gbps chips @ 1.7 Gbps (435 GB/sec.) without having to increase the voltage above 1.2v

• HBM is more power efficient compared to GDDR6 - the savings were invested into more GPU power

• additional 16 GB in form of DDR4 @ 256 bit for 102.4 GB/sec.

• 4 GB reserved for OS, the remaining 12 GB usable by games

• memory automatically managed by HBCC and appears as 20 GB to the developers

• HBCC manages streaming of game data from storage as well

• developers can use the API to take control if they choose and manage the memory and storage streaming themselves

• memory solution alleviates problems found in PS4

• namely that CPU bandwidth reduces GPU bandwidth disproportionately

• 2 stacks of HBM have 512 banks (more banks = fewer conflicts and higher utilization)

• GDDR6 better than GDDR5 and GDDR5x in that regard but still less banks than HBM

• at the same time trying to keep CPU memory access to slower DDR4

• very satisfied with decision to use two kinds of memory for price to performance reasons

• allowed them to go below ~50 GFLOPs per GB/sec. bandwidth but still keep above 40 GFLOPs per GB/sec.

Separate memory banks still exists on PC and this design is exactly like that. 8 GBs VRAM and 12 GBs system RAM is very normal, unlike other 'tiny scratchpad' memory configs, or 'tiny system RAM' in the case of PS3.

The BW sounds disappointing though. 400 GB/s on VRAM, 100 GB/s RAM. And that to me is what makes it plausible - it's not some unrealistic 'all parameters dialled up to 11' fantasy idea.

Separate memory banks still exists on PC and this design is exactly like that. 8 GBs VRAM and 12 GBs system RAM is very normal, unlike other 'tiny scratchpad' memory configs, or 'tiny system RAM' in the case of PS3.

The BW sounds disappointing though. 400 GB/s on VRAM, 100 GB/s RAM. And that to me is what makes it plausible - it's not some unrealistic 'all parameters dialled up to 11' fantasy idea.

But If the cpu and gpu are not "fighting" for memory access, it's a plus over current arch. , no ?

Bandwidth being only 400 GB/s seems odd considering One X is already 326 GB/s. Would such a PS5 memory system be that much cheaper than a One X memory system expanded?

I would find it amusing if Sony went this route and MS went with single gddr pool.

It wasn't simply the fact that it was a split pool that was the problem with X1, it was the size that was the cause of the problem.

People would be, but when MS did it it was bad but Sony its ok, why is that. Its about the implementation.

Its possible that MS goes for single pool due to "backlash" and ends up with less memory etc.

I'm not too sure about this "leak" though, but it gives us something interesting to discuss.
Had a quick peek at Era, and it doesn't seem to be common knowledge that there's already examples of this. Intel + AMD Vega + 4gb hbm2 + ddr4. Talk about mix of tech.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1222...-core-with-radeon-rx-vega-m-graphics-launched
Although this implementation CPU doesn't have access to hbm2

Last edited:
This is it. The mother lode.

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

Zen 2.
Ray-tracing
3D audio processing
SSD on PCIe4 lanes.
PS4 BC.
PSVR works on PS5.
No 2019 launch.

This wasn't confirmed.

I obviously like what I'm seeing in this piece and the focus on audio is a very pleasant surprise!

Oddly, no confirmation of UHD BluRay specifically, just that the console will accept physical media.

This wasn't confirmed.

I obviously like what I'm seeing in this piece and the focus on audio is a very pleasant surprise!

Oddly, no confirmation of UHD BluRay specifically, just that the console will accept physical media.
Nothing else makes sense since they’re claiming higher bandwidth than PC drives. Unless there’s a proprietary interconnect. Zen 2 is known to support 4.0.

Sony ticked all possible hw features I could have wished for. SSD at heart, better audio/graphics/ray-tracing, binary compatibility, vr support and so on. I'm hyped, though this has to be expensive box. I wonder if ssd is intel optane,...

In fact if this wasn't wired+cerny I would be calling these "specs" bullshit. Individually believeable but to get them all?!

I guess the sony media/pr thread can be closed now. Hype cycle has been started and also future of ps4 sales is secured thanks to bc and very likely drastically different price point between ps4 and ps5. Maybe ps4 pro will be phased out.

The upshot is that console support should make it a good reason to support naturally across platforms. The enthusiast PC population is usually a tougher justification to allocate resources to bother supporting apart from IHV intervention (ala GameWorks etc.)

Consoles raise the minimum bar for architectural support (otherwise we'd probably be stuck closer to Blizzard-esque support or MMO-like monetary systems because something something budgets, but that's a discussion for another thread. :oops:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back