What are the best games you played in 2016-present?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I'm trying to catch up on a rather overly large backlog of games now that I've upgraded, can y'all remind me of the best games of the last few years and present that I would hate myself for missing?

What does best game mean to you? Is it having the most fun? Having the most involvement? Having the strongest reaction?

Are you going to be playing solo or with others?

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild tops my short list. I consider it the greatest open world adventure game of this decade (metacritic score of 97/100). Heck, the best game I've played hands down this decade.

Dishonored 2
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Doom
Rise of the Tomb Raider
XCom 2
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

Hmmm...

Dragon Age
Tomb Raider
Final Fantasy I
Uncharted 3
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Resident Evil I

edit: woops, now I realised this is in the PC forum. Ignore the ones that aren't on PC, then. :p

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild tops my short list. I consider it the greatest open world adventure game of this decade (metacritic score of 97/100). Heck, the best game I've played hands down this decade.
I have to second this. As someone who pretty much exclusively play games on PC, the quality of this delightful title was a revelation. Joy.

DOOM was an awesome return of the shooter in its primeval form. If anything, it offered slightly too much (modifiable secondary modes for instance) but the game was essentially distilled high speed mayhem.

Wolfenstein II for its atmospheric touches all over helping create an alternate history setting both charming and chilling.

(Bought a great number of games the last few years that left no impression whatsoever or a sour after taste due to ”monetization”.)

And now for something completely different :V

• Aven Colony
  • Bear With Me
  • Celeste
  • Dead or Alive 6
  • Dex
  • Doki Doki Literature Club
  • Finding Paradise
  • Gorogoa
  • GRIS
  • The House in Fata Morgana
  • Iris Fall
  • Kathy Rain
  • The Letter - Horror Visual Novel
  • The Lion's Song
  • Little Nightmares
  • Lumo
  • Lucy - The Eternity She Wished For
  • Oxenfree
  • Q.U.B.E. 2
  • The Red Strings Club
  • Shardlight
  • SiNKR
  • Slain: Back from Hell
  • The Slaughter: Act One - sadly, the rest of the story won't be finished.
  • Stardew Valley
  • Steins;Gate
  • Tokyo Dark
  • Tormentum - heard there was a sequel coming soon. :eek:
  • Train Valley 2 - still early access
  • Unavowed
  • Zenge
ahem :p

• Arkham Knight
  • Battletech
  • Call of Duty Infinite Warfare
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  • Divinity: Original Sin II
  • Doom
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Frost Punk
  • Gears of War 4
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Hitman 1/2 (reboot)
  • Ion Maiden - still early access
  • Injustice 2
  • Life is Strange: Before the Storm
  • Mass Effect Andromeda
  • Metro/Last Light Redux
  • Nier: Automata
  • Pillars of Eternity 2
  • Prey
  • Quantum Break
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Shadow Warrior 2
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • South Park: The Fractured But whole
  • Thief of Thieves: Season One
  • Vampyr
  • Witcher III
  • Wolfenstein II
  • XCOM2

(a couple of those may have been late 2015)

And now for something completely different :V

• Aven Colony
  • Bear With Me
  • Celeste
  • Dead or Alive 6
  • Dex
  • Doki Doki Literature Club
  • Finding Paradise
  • Gorogoa
  • GRIS
  • The House in Fata Morgana
  • Iris Fall
  • Kathy Rain
  • The Letter - Horror Visual Novel
  • The Lion's Song
  • Little Nightmares
  • Lumo
  • Lucy - The Eternity She Wished For
  • Oxenfree
  • Q.U.B.E. 2
  • The Red Strings Club
  • Shardlight
  • SiNKR
  • Slain: Back from Hell
  • The Slaughter: Act One - sadly, the rest of the story won't be finished.
  • Stardew Valley
  • Steins;Gate
  • Tokyo Dark
  • Tormentum - heard there was a sequel coming soon. :eek:
  • Train Valley 2 - still early access
  • Unavowed
  • Zenge
ahem :p

• Arkham Knight
  • Battletech
  • Call of Duty Infinite Warfare
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  • Divinity: Original Sin II
  • Doom
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Frost Punk
  • Gears of War 4
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Hitman 1/2 (reboot)
  • Ion Maiden - still early access
  • Injustice 2
  • Life is Strange: Before the Storm
  • Mass Effect Andromeda
  • Metro/Last Light Redux
  • Nier: Automata
  • Pillars of Eternity 2
  • Prey
  • Quantum Break
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Shadow Warrior 2
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • South Park: The Fractured But whole
  • Thief of Thieves: Season One
  • Vampyr
  • Witcher III
  • Wolfenstein II
  • XCOM2

(a couple of those may have been late 2015)
I'm never gonna sleep again, am I? :|

I want a good RPG. Open to all different types though Steam's definition of RPG includes homoerotic hentai puzzle games which I'm not really into. Gachigasm?

I would also give my vote for divinity original sin 2 definitive edition. It's good game.

From the left field maybe you might like legend of grimrock2.

This game might be fun once it releases (later this year?)
druidstone_beta.jpg

https://druidstone-game.com/

I also removed Outlast 2 and a couple other horror games from the list. ahem.
Cool, horror just isn't my genre. It's not that I'm scared of it, the opposite. It's hard for me to get scared when I know it's only a game. Life is LOTS scarier!

I prefer depth over jump scares, the horror/zombie craze is still annoying to me. LOL

For me the best games I played from 2016 to now were:

Sekiro Shadows Die Twice - (Even) Better than the Souls games, pretty difficult, but very satisfying to master. A games that wants to be taken seriously, which means practice, practice, practice for some bosses.
RE7 - Even if you are not into horror a great, intense game. Unfortunately the last third is not a as great as the rest.
Prey - Great clever FPS with a bit of System Shock / Bioshock vibe
Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Best open world game in a long time with a believable, authentic world.

Runners-up:
Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Difficult and complex RPG. Knowing your way around D&D / AD&D definitely helps. Too long in my opinion.
The Evil Within 2: Great FPS with less focus on horror than the predecessor.
Dark Souls III - In my opinion not as good as the other two, but still very good. Less difficult than the others, unless you bring a Deprived to the first boss fight. DLCs are good, too.

Still very good:
The Division 2 - Maybe the best Looter Shooter with the most detailed world I have seen so far
RE2 - Great zombie shooter, just not as good as RE7
Divinity: Original Sin 2 - A great RPG with a cheesy story. Too long.
Quantum Break - As a FPS not truly great but story and presentation make up for it
Ghost of a Tale - Adorable action adventure
ATOM RPG - Quirky, old school RPG with a Fallout vibe. Pretty hard at first, but opens up later
Vaporum - Dungeon Master / Legend of Grimrock clone with a Steampunk setting, clever and engaging.
Ghost Recon: Wildlands - Great FPS that can be played with up to three friends. Too long.
The Bard's Tale IV - Nice RPG with a cool tactical combat system
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - A PC port of a console RPG. Open world with some clever and interesting mechanics. I would definitely welcome a sequel.

Last edited:
Rain World was the most intense gaming experience I've had recently. Surprisingly.
I was initially exited to play it, but when I actually did I got very disappointed. I had almost put it down. As a game, it feels very unbalanced initally and it has some conflicting design choices (focus on exploration + survival + darksouls-like death as a teaching tool + high cost for death + timer). It feels brutal.
But it somehow had me coming back for another beating every time, and after just a couple days of enduring the pain the thing clicked and I suddenly loved every second. It's still got some unfair flaws, but the amount of emergent gameplay and endless unexpected moments it manages to provide are unmatched by any other game I had played before.
Maybe it's me, but nowadays I never endure through cruel games enough to learn to handle them and enjoy it for what it is, but Rain World did.
Part of it is that the gameplay is very physical (as opposed to dealing with abstract numeric health or attack stats, hitboxes, managing inventory and mana or whatever, framecounting and random button combination combos) the core game is a platformer stripped to it's bare essentials, but enemy behavior and physics create A LOT of emergent situations. Like, I've seen many games promise that, but Rain World is the only one that actually delivers it meaningfully. Once you know how to play, and know how the world operates, it is never repetitive. Things always go down in unforseeable ways, and there are always multiple viable strategies, and you are always making meaningful choices. This game grabbed me like games did when I was a kid. I was thinking about it while dreaming, while eating, while working, etc. I woke up, went to work and left as soon as I could to go back home to play the game, for about a month. I don't remember the last time that's happened.

Back