Kyle joins Intel and shuts down HOCP, now leaves Intel for family reasons [2019-03, 2019-06]

HardOCP will be "mothballed." It will no longer publish news, editorial, or hardware review content. Of course, being the "Director of Enthusiast Engagement" and closing HardForum.com, one of the largest computer enthusiast forums on the Internet, does not seem to go hand-in-hand, but there are some conflict of interest issues that need to be tackled. HardForum.com will be sold to a company that I have done business with for years, one that I can trust to run it in the way you are familiar with. HardForum will be demonitised and all advertising and commission links removed. Simply put, HardForum will not make money in any way. It will be left up to its members to fund operations through Patreon. We already have Patreon funding in place, so this should not be an issue. Over the last year, I have gotten the HardForum to run lean and mean and I have no doubt that we will not see much change in its functioning. I will also still be an admin and member of our HardForum community. I will still be there interacting with you and the other members. Even though I am going to work for Intel, I am still a member of the enthusiast community and love being a part of it. It is not something I would ever give up.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2019/03/19/goodbye_hardocp_hello_intel/

Good on Kyle and best of luck to him, smart hires by Intel on all the tech journalists they've been snatching up.

Gonna miss Kyle at HardOCP though, some good memories of some strange times that I'll never forget. :)

Since the GeForce FX shenanigans I haven't cared for kyle. However I hope he finds happiness in this job transition

I'm guessing that he'll be working to promote Intel's graphic cards once they get released. He'd be a natural for working with an audience while games were demonstrated on Intel's new hardware, and interacting with people on social media regarding them. Maybe he'll also work publicity alongside game developers at some of the various exhibitions.

Since the GeForce FX shenanigans I haven't cared for kyle. However I hope he finds happiness in this job transition
He was the only tech news outlet uncovering the Phantom console shenanigans and was a key player in uncovering the Geforce Partner monopolistic practice.

For the tech community we all knew when he sold out and when he did good, and overall he did more good than bad.

In this day and age of adblock and declining ad revenue and more and more people getting their technews from youtube news sites are becoming less and less viable.

For the tech community we all knew when he sold out and when he did good, and overall he did more good than bad.
That is a really good statement about him. I didn't agree with him a lot, but I did and still do respect him for a lot of the good things he did.

He was the only tech news outlet uncovering the Phantom console shenanigans and was a key player in uncovering the Geforce Partner monopolistic practice.

In this day and age of adblock and declining ad revenue and more and more people getting their technews from youtube news sites are becoming less and less viable.
What did he do with the phantom console ? everyone knew it was a joke when it was announced. I will acknowledge what he did with the GeForce partner bull. But I still wont forgive him for the GeForce fx bull.

But I still wont forgive him for the GeForce fx bull.
Forgive him? Hell, I still thank him for that!

It was just so much fun and so easy to tear down their arguments, they set themselves up to lose and they did it in glorious fashion. Those were some of the funnest times I can remember on the forums since the monster Rage3D thread of the late 90s over ATi where we raged at their lack of customer support/input! Yeah, ATi used to be dicks to their customers...they've come a LONG way and I'm pretty sure it's how I met most of my tightest friends in the industry still today...although I'd be lying if I didn't also tip my hat to the FX fiasco. It was just too easy to tear down their BS, hell I even managed to turn nVnews pro-ATi for a while before Mike got the word from above and kicked me out.

Again, EPIC FUN!!! I was a very bored stay-at-home dad with infants at the time with more passion than knowledge and I actually learned a hell of a lot through those ordeals and met/made a lot of friends throughout the community that I still count as dear friends today. I even consider Kyle a friend of mine no matter what his opinion of me. We first met at the Phenom launch in Tahoe and hit it right off before he even knew who I was, I mean we're both around the same age, (he's probably younger and definitely in better shape and looking better than yours truly :p ), and while he might have been a bit Intel/nVidia and I might have been a tad more AMD/ATi, (ahem, yeah I know. Psychotic fanboys is probably a better term, but let us not digress), we're both dads with a wife and young kids just starting off our families and we were both EXTREMELY in to gaming and gaming hardware. Doesn't matter who's your favorite in the PC gaming hardware world, if you're both in to PC hardware you'll find something to talk about and it's more fun to talk to people with differing opinions than yours..plus I recognize that he knows a lot more about the hardware than me and it was fascinating to pick his brain too and watch how it worked. He was sort of shocked at the time to find out I talk in real life just about exactly the same as I post on the forums...I've always lived with my heart on my sleeve, but it was the speed/diversity/enthusiasm that I think surprised him. Also surprised him when I properly introduced myself, (my handle rather than my name, people tend to know me more in the community as digi that John. :p), but we still had a good time and agreed that we both enjoyed sparring with each other on the forums.

I think it's good to talk to people you disagree with or hold contrary opinions with, it helps broaden your perspective and will often give you unexpected insights. I'm terrified of getting myself trapped in an information bubble, i've been trying to avoid Facebook and diversify my news sources more and even started checking out the ones I disagree with and hate...just to keep up with what they're thinking/doing.

Forgive Kyle for FX? Hell no! If he hadn't had the FX episode it wouldn't have exposed his bias so openly. I don't mind bias, as long as you admit to it and own it up front...but watching them contort themselves in to pretzels trying to defend the FX was just a most enjoyable time for me!

With a hat tip to Brent Justice for also adding to the fun and my overdue apologies to him for calling him "Bent Justice" during that time. I'm sorry, I was younger and stupider...but it was sort of funny. :p

Seriously though, you were/are one of the best GPU reviewers I know and I've almost always respected your work. The FX fiasco was definitely a fluke and not a feature, you are good and I wish you the best also.

Good, bad, right, or wrong; Kyle was a staple and a fixture in the community throughout and will always be a huge part of its history. I do respect that, and for him doing his best to stick to his principles while raising a family off doing what he does for a living. I do it just for fun so repercussions aren't that big a thing for me for pissing people off, but Kyle could have lost his livelihood a number of times for his stands and I do respect him for that.

Back