Sony Playstation Marketing: a quiet place in days gone?

That's a very strange assumption. Coca-Cola is doing very well, but they are investing in PR like madness anyway. Sony probably has nothing to PR or to show like last E3/years.

It's what i was thinking too. It makes no sense to be silent just before a new generation of console, on the biggest gaming event, when the others are having their show.

Trust me, $250 million dollar is not much for a corporation like that. Do you have any idea what markering, PR and ads cost these days? It also depends on how you market.
Being silent since 2017 isn't really the way to go.

Yes but that's about their exclusives, like i said before that seems to be the only thing going on for Sony, again that won't be enough with a few exclusives a year.
That is if MS doesn't hand a win to Sony again which i highly doubt.

It's anything but logical to be quiet about it when your rivals are not. Unless they have nothing (new) to show like last time, just some trailers of known titles.
the situation seems to be reverted. When Sony was sure MS had a XB1 without any secret sauce, which was about february 2013, they showed their console first in a surprising, and quite rushed conference, knowing what the competition was up to.

That led to some extra hype in regards to the XB1, 'cos the specs didn't seem real -from a traditional Xbox idiosyncracy point of view-, but Sony knew the specs well beforehand and they certainly got it right! The timing was perfect.

This time around, it is MS who seems to know PS5 specs (not that this will change things much), so they are so confident about showing the next Xbox first, because of the specs.

Last edited:
the situation seems to be reverted. When Sony was sure MS had a XB1 without any secret sauce, which was about february 2013, they showed their console first in a surprising, and quite rushed conference, knowing what the competition was up to.

That led to some extra hype in regards to the XB1, 'cos the specs didn't seem real -from a traditional Xbox idiosyncracy point of view-, but Sony knew the specs well beforehand and they certainly got it right! The timing was perfect.

This time around, it is MS who seems to know PS5 specs (not that this will change things much), so they are so confident about showing the next Xbox first, because of the specs.
For some reason I ve got the impression PS4 rumored specs which were almost confirmed were spread around almost guarantying lower RAM size (6GB?). Then MS announced the XBOX (TV TV TV) and later on Sony confirmed the 8GB GDDR5 Megaton? Or do I remember it wrong?

For some reason I ve got the impression PS4 rumored specs which were almost confirmed were spread around almost guarantying lower RAM size (6GB?). Then MS announced the XBOX (TV TV TV) and later on Sony confirmed the 8GB GDDR5 Megaton? Or do I remember it wrong?

PS4 was originally planned as a 4Gb hardware platform and their first parties, including Guerrilla who making Killzone Shadow Fall, were targeting 4Gb. At their February 2013 reveal they announced 8Gb which surprised some of their own teams so it was a very last minute decision, kept hush hush until the reveal. In 2013, the prospect of 8Gb GDDR5 RAM in tens of millions of cheap games consoles seemed quite ambitious.

The Xbox reveal that three months later in May.

PS4 was originally planned as a 4Gb hardware platform and their first parties, including Guerrilla who making Killzone Shadow Fall, were targeting 4Gb. At their February 2013 reveal they announced 8Gb which surprised some of their own teams so it was a very last minute decision, kept hush hush until the reveal. In 2013, the prospect of 8Gb GDDR5 RAM in tens of millions of cheap games consoles seemed quite ambitious.

The Xbox reveal that three months later in May.
The part unclear was whether the removal of the PS4 Camera was how they managed to re-budget to stay at $399.
If MS had the foresight that Kinect was going to flop, I don't know if they could have changed their design to improve things anyway with the $100 back

The part unclear was whether the removal of the PS4 Camera was how they managed to re-budget to stay at $399.
If MS had the foresight that Kinect was going to flop, I don't know if they could have changed their design to improve things anyway with the $100 back
There were interviews later on where they said it was an option left open based on their procurement abilities. And that it was a lively discussion.

We know for sure the decision was made before the updated speed specs was officially lowered from 192gb/s to 176gb/s (clamshell speed drop). And we also know they praised their procurement team for negociating this volume and price with samsung. That negociation would have been done before that meeting so they can discuss it with a cost associated with both options.

That estimated $88 was about half what some on B3D were predicting for 8GB gddr5 which explains the surprise but we suck at pricing anything which were never in any recent isuppli estimates. We had no point of reference other than "it costs more than ddr3".

I heard something around december (when some studios received new devkits and documentation) but we also heard many third party studios only learned about it in february.

The generation between PS2 and PS3 clearly showed that Sony users could opt to choose another platform or none at all. No matter the reason. MS basicly handed Sony the win this gen, this might not happen again im afraid.

Firstly (and again) you are comparing a car-crash PS3 launch - that's not happening again. Secondly suggesting MS handed Sony the win is taking away credit from Sony who played their hand perfectly.

It was a reason for myself to buy a PS4, non Pro though. That's just for Ghost of Tsuhima, maybe Dreams as that seems interesting. But how many of those nearly 100 million users bought a PS4 for the exclusives? Just looking around (north america), i'm seeing most people playing CoD, FiFa and GTA, Fortnite and Apex on their PS4's. The occasional Spiderman and GoW to some extend here and there. Just relying on about 15 to 20 exclusives for a whole generation seems risky. Those exclusives aren't either that good anymore, there seems to be a shift going on, have been reading polls and forums, it's all i can go after for now.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/are-playstation-exclusives-the-best-games-in-the-industry.1475354/

Sony are not just relying on exclusives, they have all those games you mention too! The point I'm making is that the exclusives are what elevate their proposition above the competition. Does XB1 outsell PS4? No. But surely as MS are doing so much right and Sony not/doing so much wrong we'd start seeing a needle pointing that way. And as for using forums did you not read the poll results!? 70% say they are the best with 29% saying 'easily' the best.

OG Xbox sold a fraction of the PS2, it didn't have any real exclusives either.

Really? They coined the phrase 'Only on Xbox' - they didn't have any real exclusives at all...Halo, Forza, PGR, Forza, Fable, Ninja Gaiden, Panzer Dragoon, Shenmue 2 and more.

Matching MS isn't their bar. Their bar is the success of the PS1, 2 and 4. The fact that they didn't reach this bar during the PS3 generation reinforces the point Shifty is trying to make. PlayStation can underperform if the business isn't being managed correctly.

Yes, if the hardware launches a year later, is substantially more to buy, has inferior 3rd party games, lacks 'must buy' exclusives etc etc - it might only sell ~85 million.

I'm talking sales relative to what Sony's own narrative predicted given sales of the original PlayStation and PS2. PS3 demonstrated that people just not buy a hundreds million boxes just because they are branded PlayStation.

Yet ~85 million did last gen and ~50 million will buy Xbox this gen because of brand alone (pretty much anyway).

And yet many people in this thread are seeing plenty of Sony and/or PlayStation marketing, myself included.

Are Sony strangely quiet? I personally see only an increase in Sony's continuous PlayStation marketing with the emphasis now being on Days Gone which releases in a few weeks. It's nowhere near the level of marketing we saw for Spider-Man or even God of War but one of those is a brand that transcends cultures, generations and entertainment markets, but for a new IP. I'm seeing as much marketing for Days Gone as for The Last of Us, which is really quite surprising. But the TLoU was released six years ago and things change.

The question and answer really is "Are Sony strangely quiet?" And the truthful is, "Perhaps depending on who you are, where you are, what you watch and how you watch it, and what you expect. Or not, see above."

Which could apply to any person's expectations and experiences about any company or product.

I think they are a bit quiet but looks worse due to MS being so noisy.

I'm curious to see what E3 2019 thread will be like wrt to this thread, it will be interesting to see how the thread/community of gamers play out when undoubtedly some will feel like Sony will need to respond to E3 2019 without the stage of something as large of E3.

Assuming Sony do or say nothing before E3 of course.

Assuming Sony do or say nothing before E3 of course.
Yea. I was thinking exactly like this. It would be fun to make a Bayes Model to predict when a big announcement should arrive based on a specific data point. Like each month without announcement the % of one happening should go up, and it does happen it should drop the % greatly the next month. Then you train it with announcement timing data. It was going to be great :). Too lazy to make it though.

With state of play just a few weeks ago, the odds are looking lower than if they had not had a state of play at all.

They saved the money with a cheap and noisy cooling solution ? :yep2:

And also they used slower GDDR5.

Technically it's the same speed bin whether they went 4GB or 8GB, it's slower in practice because clamshell requires a 5.5 clocking with 6gbps parts.

They seem to have decided from the start to use mid to low speed bin though, and the 8gbits parts were coming up soon as a planned cost reduction.

The part unclear was whether the removal of the PS4 Camera was how they managed to re-budget to stay at $399. If MS had the foresight that Kinect was going to flop, I don't know if they could have changed their design to improve things anyway with the $100 back

The camera was billed as "optional" from the initial reveal. Remember that both PS2 and PS3 also had optional cameras so Sony wouldn't (or shouldn't) have been under any misapprehension that a camera was going to be a game changer; it was really built for PSVR which we know (from the GDC 2014 'Project Morpheus' reveal) was planned long before PS4 was launched.

In the UK there were several PS4 launch bundles which included the camera essentially for free, which is how I got mine. Free camera FTW!

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm surprised that this sort of issue could happen; https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/onlineid/games-list-home/critical-issues/

Games which have been tested and one or more of the following known issues which we considered fundamental to the game play experience:

• User may lose in-game currency whether paid for or earned;
  • Loss of game progress, including scores and progress toward trophy unlocking; and
  • Loss of UGC or parts of the game may not function properly, both online and offline.
  • If you have a game in this category, we do not recommend changing your online ID if you wish to continue playing that game without losing its entitlements and achievements which you have already bought or released. It is possible to incur permanent game errors or data loss as a result of using the feature.

Anyways, a bit offtopic...

That's a surprisingly small list of games, considering the risk of requiring patches for old ps3 games.

I suppose there's nothing they can do for older ps3 games which the devs don't want to patch, but most of the remaining dozen titles to patch are from sony (lbp3, older mlb, golf).

I am happy that everyone now have the opportunity to finally shut up about name change :runaway:

But I no longer feel special for having meticulously chosen my name in 2006. We can no longer be taught a hard lesson about consequences.

That's a surprisingly small list of games, considering the risk of requiring patches for old ps3 games.

I suppose there's nothing they can do for older ps3 games which the devs don't want to patch, but most of the remaining dozen titles to patch are from sony (lbp3, older mlb, golf).

I am happy that everyone now have the opportunity to finally shut up about name change :runaway:

But I no longer feel special for having meticulously chosen my name in 2006. We can no longer be taught a hard lesson about consequences.
Like the Foo Fighters?

Firstly (and again) you are comparing a car-crash PS3 launch - that's not happening again.

The PS3 showed that Sony fans can opt for another or no platform at all. This time around MS might offer better and more competition, with better hardware and software at launch.

Back