Sega Genesis Mini (Mega Drive) with 42 games launches on 2019-09-19

The music of the menu is made by Yuzo Koshiro. That's how you pamper a product -something that other companies didn't get- plus the 6-buttons USB controller looks very nice and solid too. Quality stuff.

I wonder though. I love the name of the console, Mega Drive, and the question is....why did they change that beautiful name to a more generic Sega Genesis in the USA? I have a theory but I might be wrong

The music of the menu is made by Yuzo Koshiro. That's how you pamper a product -something that other companies didn't get- plus the 6-buttons USB controller looks very nice and solid too. Quality stuff.

I wonder though. I love the name of the console, Mega Drive, and the question is....why did they change that beautiful name to a more generic Sega Genesis in the USA? I have a theory but I might be wrong
In the book the Rise and Fall of Sega it says that the Mega Drive was already registered by another company in the USA.
Therefore they changed the name.

In the book the Rise and Fall of Sega it says that the Mega Drive was already registered by another company in the USA.
Therefore they changed the name.
thanks for the explanation. Actually I had this wild theory where I thought it was due to the fact that drive could be a sensible word for some people, as crazy as it sounded it's the only explanation I could find, depending on the kind of drive

my theory about the change was that some sensible people could think Mega Drive could potentially be used as an analogy of mega sexual drive, 'cos I never understood the name change

That's certainly a much better sellection than SNES's mini. I like it much better, personally.

Street fighter without the 6 button controller sucks balls. You had to press if I recall the start or select button to switch between punches and kicks in the old days.

Arguably for the 1st time in Sega's business history they have a superior 1st & 3rd party cumulative lineup than Nintendo does on its comparative system.

You had to press if I recall the start or select button to switch between punches and kicks in the old days.
Kick? Punch? It's all in the mind. Because there's no way I'm getting my hands to do that.

Seriously, why skimp on that? It would have been a near perfect mini console (especially with the inevitable hacks). Is it to maintain differentiation with a possible Saturn mini? They might be forgiven if you'd be able to use Saturn controllers with the Genesis. It's still silly, as Street Fighter has got to be as compelling as Tetris. Heck, Arcade1Up sells a standalone Street Fighter (mini) arcade cabinet.

Great lineup. I hope their emulation is great.

Kick? Punch? It's all in the mind. Because there's no way I'm getting my hands to do that.

Seriously, why skimp on that? It would have been a near perfect mini console (especially with the inevitable hacks). Is it to maintain differentiation with a possible Saturn mini? They might be forgiven if you'd be able to use Saturn controllers with the Genesis. It's still silly, as Street Fighter has got to be as compelling as Tetris. Heck, Arcade1Up sells a standalone Street Fighter (mini) arcade cabinet.

Great lineup. I hope their emulation is great.
But why would they maintain differentiation since the Genesis also got it's six button controller back in te good old days?

Yeah, there's really no good (for the consumer) reason not to include the better controller, especially since other territories are getting them. I tried.

Ideally, you'd be able to use your six button Genesis controllers with a multi-tap on a mini-Saturn to play Saturn Bomberman and Guardian Heroes. :D

You can dream like Elliot and Claris for your mini-Saturn. That is not going to happen any time soon.

Looks very good to me. My nephew will probably be asking me for this for Christmas. He has enjoyed the hell out of the SNES Mini that I got him last Christmas. Really good lineup of games. Hoping that Sega makes a last minute change to release the 6 button controller with the Genesis Mini in the US. I am looking forward to playing Vectorman, Earthworm Jim and Comix Zone the most. So glad Sega ditched AT Games, and did this classic system in house.

John Linnemann from DF was fairly impressed by the thing. High praise considering how much of a stickler he is when it comes to accurately emulating retro games.

Also dear god look at those amazing covers :) Wonder what Blaze (that's the name of kick-chick, right?) and tiny Mexican man on roller blades are thinking about. They seem rather absent-minded.

streetsofrage2_lg.jpg

Last edited:
Back