Sony Playstation Marketing: a quiet place in days gone?

Exactly. It's like I've come from another dimension or something :) people going on about no marketing.

Yeah, I think this is possible largely a marketing micro-climate issue. When I browse the web at home, I get tons of PlayStation marketing regardless of which websites I'm on but I browse at work I get no PlayStaton marketing because I'm completely anonymised to the ad servers.

Do you agree that the communication has not effectively spread beyond Sony's own portals and it is missing a lot of important titles?
Yes - I've already said as much. ;) BUT...I acknowledge I don't visit many places where they may be communicating, so where my feeling is Sony are not very visible, I might be mistaken. Mainly, I see far more press coverage and forum talk of what everyone other than Sony is doing.

Are they still with the same ad agency?

They finished the ps3 generation with the firm who made those Kevin Butler ads, then they hired a new firm a few months before the ps4 unveiling. Maybe they are in progress of another change for next gen.

Yes - I've already said as much. ;) BUT...I acknowledge I don't visit many places where they may be communicating, so where my feeling is Sony are not very visible, I might be mistaken. Mainly, I see far more press coverage and forum talk of what everyone other than Sony is doing.

Tin foil hat, but I’m sure much of the forum talk are biased MS posts either paid for or fanboys who love twisting things. They seem to over exaggerate the pros of MS and negatives of Sony.

As mentioned before, Sony are doing things...releasing potentially great games this year and maybe even a new console announcement, but let’s concentrate on the negatives that Sony don’t shout from the top of their tower every 5 mins to remind everyone how much bigger theirs is!

What was the last exclusive first party game MS announced? Because Sony announced two just last week. I don't care how many times Phil Spencer says "trust me", I don't count that as good "communication".
All their new exclusive announcements happened at E3 last year. Which includes both Gears and Halo Infinite.
In 2 months time, I expect a lot more. He's not wrong, they're coming. They wait for E3 to make major announcements.
I'm not as caught up on exclusives as others though.

I love playing 3P games. The fact that I know Division 2 will work on NextBox right now, is a good thing. I know Division will support 3 years of service, so that carries over without me having to do anything at all.

I know that I won't have to buy new controllers, which is lovely since they push custom controllers, and with knowing those controllers are carrying forward they can buy these controllers today. And I can expect to play all the new exclusives on GamePass with a hefty amount of 3P titles as well. That's massive because as a consumer of their products it saves me a significant amount of money that I would have to spend otherwise.

Being able to plan like this is beneficial to me. I'm still not understanding how not communicating is beneficial for the customer.

I don't see a negative issue with announcing BC early for PS4 players. It gives them peace of mind to buy digital titles moving into PS5. They can build their library now moving to next gen knowing how it will be supported. And equally it's not like Sony can announce a better more robust BC service than Xbox has already, so why not just announce the feature for the sake of supporting their own players? I don't see this as entitlement either.

How is this different from when Sony announced tons of exclusives back in 2015/2016 which didn't come out until 3-4 years later. If they're announcing titles that early to try to draw the crowds to make purchases on Sony's platform earlier before titles are released, then why wait on these features then?

As a customer, if you're asking me to make purchasing decisions today, and in the near future my decisions could be impacted by next year because of next gen, then why penalize me for it?

There's no obvious pattern here that I can see in which Sony chooses to announce things and chooses not to announce except one;
They announce when their direction is solid, like every other company does.
Thus the only thing that makes sense to me is that if they haven't announced anything concerning platform features, they are either not working on it, or far from delivering it.

From last november, seems to explain everything.

(also, their current ad agency went through a restructuration)

https://www.adweek.com/agencyspy/pl...cy-review-to-pitch-against-one-another/151229
PlayStation is looking to switch up its marketing efforts in a big way.

According to three parties familiar with the specifics of the process, the Sony-owned company is looking to build a roster of 3-4 agencies to handle its marketing work around the world.

These winning shops will then be assigned independent projects. But–and this is the kicker–they will also be called upon to pitch against one another for approximately 6 big campaigns throughout the year.

And they’ll all get paid for each individual pitch, hence the absence of an RFP. A person who works with the company said PlayStation was initially looking for a single agency to promote all products including games, hardware, and more but realized that it would be too large an assignment for one shop to handle.

Given that the average cost of a pitch is around $250,000, this makes for a very unique setup. (And that number came from a consultant several years ago, so it’s almost certainly higher now.)

$250,000 for a PITCH???

Last edited:
Tin foil hat, but I’m sure much of the forum talk are biased MS posts either paid for or fanboys who love twisting things. They seem to over exaggerate the pros of MS and negatives of Sony.

As mentioned before, Sony are doing things...releasing potentially great games this year and maybe even a new console announcement, but let’s concentrate on the negatives that Sony don’t shout from the top of their tower every 5 mins to remind everyone how much bigger theirs is!
You can take it off, claiming posters get paid is pretty insulting to begin with, and no one has been heavy handed here. I've tried to take MS out of this discussion. It would appear that the counter argument for the lack of Sony communicating to their own customers is to 'what about-ism on MS'. Or option 2, it's coming just wait and be patient. Which I would be okay with (there is always some part of this), except we're seeing a lot of impatience on community (here and resetera, and blog posts etc) on Sony to communicate something, which is a sign that people have been waiting and being patient, but now their patience is wearing extremely thin.

Anyway, for me, I deliberately watch those Kevin butler ads. Now? I very rarely go to Playstation YouTube unless they release a gameplay video of something big like the last of us 2.

I just go to the YouTube channel of each devs or directly to the press-only site (Kevin videos are not in the press-only site)

I am mainly a Playstation gamer and I acknowledge what MS did right and where Sony under delivered without any external influence.....unless I am paid by MS to claim as such :p

Sam Nesher, a member of Third Ecchi-lon, a top-secret initiative within the Nintendo-Sony Alliance (NSA), who went on to become a double agent within the Phil Spencer Army (PSA).

Last edited:
Isn't ps4 pretty much in phase where word of mouth, friends and in general late adopters would be jumping in? Biggest thing driving sales would be lowering price to make ps4 impulse buy for late adopters?

Once ps5 is closer it would be marketing&hype campaign to get early adopters on board and upgrading?

Starting to talk about ps5 too early would only cause harm in form of osborne effect?

Last edited:
Isn't ps4 pretty much in phase where word of mouth, friends and in general late adopters would be jumping in? Biggest thing driving sales would be lowering price to make ps4 impulse buy for late adopters?

Once ps5 is closer it would be marketing&hype campaign to get early adopters on board and upgrading?

Starting to talk about ps5 too early would only cause harm in form of osborne effect?
i'm looking to get PS5. But I won't budge until I hear about what's happening with the platform and features.
So as a potential buyer, the topics that everyone is saying I should wait because awesome is coming, are hugely important to me since i missed out on PS4 this generation.

If it's all remasters, i'm skipping PS5. I don't want to hear someone say it's pretty much confirmed for PS4BC when the last comment from Jim Ryan was who wants BC? And he's now the President. If Sony is only focused on PSVR for PS5, I'm also skipping it. I'm pretty confident I'll still get sick, as per when I owned my 2 oculus before selling them both. I have no doubt it's amazing immersive experience, but I have no faith in my ability to stomach the motion sickness - my play time is usually less than 10 minutes before needing to lay down.

If it's all remasters, i'm skipping PS5.

I'm with you on this. The only PS3 remasters I bought for PS4 were the Uncharted Collection and The Last of Us. For me these were exceptional game experiences that were worth it because they are games I still like to replay and I accept that emulating PS3 (Cell) on PS4 hardware is impossible. If that were Sony's strategy going forward, I'm out but I'd be surprised if this is the case.

Since 1995 Sony have done exceeding well, probably losing a lot money in the process, having teams taking risks making new experiences, not re-making old experiences.

Back