Movie Reviews 2.0

I watched Captain Marvel today in Ho Chi Minh. I liked it quite a bit. I went in with moderate expectations and came out very happy. In honesty I didn't really pick any major faults from it. I wouldn't say it's exceptional or something like that, but a solid fun Marvel movie introducing a new major character into the mix.

First time I went to see a movie in Vietnam. I won't draw too much conclusions from just one visit, but I found it slightly odd that lot of people came in after the movie had started, apparently putting your phone on silent and not answering phone calls during the movie is not considered fun here, as multiple people did that and others didn't frown upon it lol...Other than that I like the place.

Not really spoilers, but I tag it anyway.
The eye thing left me pretty speechless... I also was kind of expecting Captain Marvel to be even more powerful than what was shown here. She definitely is top tier power level, but didn't feel like another level compared to Thor for example imo. Short wait for the Endgame now. :)

Superhero films usually generate a lot of posts i've seen none about Aquaman was it that bad?

It was a movie about a half-fish/half-dude. There were good dudes (and dudettes), there bad dudes/dudettes. It had Nicole Kidman in it, and a big thing they called a Kraken IIRC though I'm not sure it was actually a Kraken. They didn't see eye-to-eye, so there was a kick-off. I won't tell you who won, because that might spoil it.

I enjoyed it. It was a good time at the cinema. Would watch again (for free, when drunk).

Superhero films usually generate a lot of posts i've seen none about Aquaman was it that bad?
I went into Aquaman with low expectations but was quite surprised. Was a fun solid movie.

The Stan Lee thing was cool to see BTW in Captain Marvel :)

One thing I was wondering
was the name of the movie/Captain Marvel...

Mar-Vell was the scientist Kree, and to my recollection no one called Carol Danvers Captain Marvel at any point in the movie? So what is going on with the name?
I know she has had multiple names in the comic books, although I don't know any of those stories. I understood they change a lot of things in this movie like the Skrolls, so I assume the name Captain Marvel does make more sense at some point, at least someone should call her that? Maybe she assumes that name in the Endgame to honor two fallen heroes?

The Stan Lee thing was cool to see BTW in Captain Marvel :)

One thing I was wondering
was the name of the movie/Captain Marvel...

Mar-Vell was the scientist Kree, and to my recollection no one called Carol Danvers Captain Marvel at any point in the movie? So what is going on with the name?
I know she has had multiple names in the comic books, although I don't know any of those stories. I understood they change a lot of things in this movie like the Skrolls, so I assume the name Captain Marvel does make more sense at some point, at least someone should call her that? Maybe she assumes that name in the Endgame to honor two fallen heroes?
I liked it, nothing particularly great but nothing bad either, came out thinking yea liked it.

She takes on her name as homage to mar-vele and fury said in film sounds better one word or something like that.

So Captain Marvel was... cute. Funny. Cute. I don't think it was the best Marvel film, not even close to their best work.

And while she had a few good moments, I couldn't help but feel that Brie Larson was bit detached from it all. If we really want to compare, then Wonder Woman was much better, mostly because Gal Gadot was simply perfect - even though the movie wasn't.

If I'm honest, I feel that for me the most exciting scene of the movie was the first end-credits scene, which I won't spoil.

So Captain Marvel was... cute. Funny. Cute. I don't think it was the best Marvel film, not even close to their best work.

And while she had a few good moments, I couldn't help but feel that Brie Larson was bit detached from it all. If we really want to compare, then Wonder Woman was much better, mostly because Gal Gadot was simply perfect - even though the movie wasn't.

If I'm honest, I feel that for me the most exciting scene of the movie was the first end-credits scene, which I won't spoil.

How was the theater?

I agree that it's not an A-tier movie in the MCU, but I think it's a solid entry. I do think that the movie felt a bit muted in terms of lacking exciting highs. I did like Brie Larson in it though. I think the memory thing helps explain some of the detached part, but maybe the movie in general lacked strength in characters. I think Jackson was good and the dude from Rogue One, but still most roles were kind of small and I felt most people didn't have enough screen time to flesh them out. I do think it did a fairly good job of telling the origin of the main character and it's interesting to see exactly what kind of role she plays in Endgame.

How was the theater?

I agree that it's not an A-tier movie in the MCU, but I think it's a solid entry. I do think that the movie felt a bit muted in terms of lacking exciting highs. I did like Brie Larson in it though. I think the memory thing helps explain some of the detached part, but maybe the movie in general lacked strength in characters. I think Jackson was good and the dude from Rogue One, but still most roles were kind of small and I felt most people didn't have enough screen time to flesh them out. I do think it did a fairly good job of telling the origin of the main character and it's interesting to see exactly what kind of role she plays in Endgame.

Oh the Dolby Cinema (Odeon in Leicester sq)! Well... I must say that the screen was slightly brighter and with very slightly better blacks than a normal cinema, but absolutely not even close to a proper Dolby Vision/HDR screen anyone can have at home now.
The sound was incredible though.
The best thing about it were the amazing recliner seats, loads of space (forget being cramped with everyone else) and general luxury feel of it.
Considering it’s the same price as other central London cinemas, can’t really go wrong.

Yeah the movie was good, don’t get me wrong. A few things were weird, such as the “thing” that gives her powers - that was a surprise.

Fury and the other guy were by far the best thing in the movie.

I think it is cool that they stole 1 scene from The Matrix (My name is Carol.) and one scene looked a lot like a scene from Independence Day (in the canyon) in Captain Marvel.

Watched Deadpool 2. It's a really odd sequel, and I thought it was simultaneously worse and better than the first film. Cable was a much more compelling character than random British bloke from the first movie, the action scenes were fantastic, inventive and easy to follow, and I loved the way they implemented the luck-as-a-superpower idea. That black girl was a cool character.
On the flipside I rarely found the film funny. The jokes were almost entirely wishy-washy, non-commital and safe. Make your film politically correct if you must, but don't do it by making the main character pc. Deadpool should be a dick. The funniest the first DP film ever got was when Ryan Reynolds was verbally jousting with his girlfriend. Unfortunately she's barely in the film for reasons I don't wanna spoil. It's also an oddly paced film that likes to twiddle its thumbs and doesn't really find its footing until the 30+ minute mark.
In a way Deadpool 2 feels like it has become the very thing the first film was taking the piss out on.

Last edited:
I saw Shazam today. After all the rave and hype surrounding it, I have to say I did not enjoy it very much... I think the foster family aspect of it was well made and that added soul to this movie. The way Billy lost his parents was retarded at best though. Zachary Levi played his role as a 14 year old in a Superhero body very well. Other than that though, nothing really stood out. Few good jokes, but not much else for that amount of running time. I hope I like Hellboy more.

Saw US week or two ago as well. I enjoyed that quite a bit, but it kind of requires you to just skip/forgive the back story, luckily that is only told shortly at the end of the movie. It kept me on my seat that's for sure :)

Just counting days till the 24th and Endgame...

Back