Amy Hennig Talks More About Struggling With EA's Frostbite Engine

Some of the GDC talks about Overwatch are interesting. The tech came from the team that was building that mmo that got scrapped. They ended up with an ECS and some very interesting and clever netcode. If you think about the timeline for overwatch, it was not a game made in two years. It inherited the work of an mmo team that were shifted on to overwatch from what I understand. The investment to make even a small game (content wise) is huge when you're starting from scratch. I guarantee that if there's an Overwatch 2, or another internal fps game from Blizzard, they won't be started from scratch again, though the initial investment in time and resources was necessary. To me, it doesn't sound like Bioware made that investment, because they didn't scope their game.

Are those presentations public yet ?

OW ended up being a game I dropped, but certainly the biggest impression they had on me was just how solid and polished the experience was right from the getgo with the UI and the overall flow and seamlessness of matchmaking - not being locked to a matchmaking screen, letting me do whatever the heck while waiting in between matches, for example

Last edited:
Are those presentations public yet ?

OW ended up being a game I dropped, but certainly the biggest impression they had on me was just how solid and polished the experience was right from the getgo with the UI and the overall flow and seamlessness of matchmaking - not being locked to a matchmaking screen and letting me do whatever the heck while waiting in between matches, for example

Instead of complaining about it after the fact maybe they - as in both them and EA - should have fixed the engine. Frostbite 3 is as old as the current generation of consoles. And if you don't like it, go for UE4 (but I assume EA is forcing people to use Frostbite 3). Ffs they have an entire team dedicated for Frostbite development (Frostbite Labs iirc), just fix the tools or use UE4/Unity.

Instead of complaining about it after the fact maybe they - as in both them and EA - should have fixed the engine.

Management didnt allow devs from either team to work on those issues. Most likely.

Don’t know the internal politics first hand, but if they were reallocating engineers to other EA games, then there’s a resource problem, and then it’s prioritization of features - also what other games in the EA portfolio share enough features to make it a priority worth spending time on.

BioWare certainly had enough modifications for Inquisition and Andromeda for rudimentary RPG-lite subsystems (inventory, crafting, stats), but taking things to an open world beyond a large map while requiring streaming systems for any sort of backtracking with online syncing between 4 people was beyond their schedule.

Instead of complaining about it after the fact maybe they - as in both them and EA - should have fixed the engine. Frostbite 3 is as old as the current generation of consoles. And if you don't like it, go for UE4 (but I assume EA is forcing people to use Frostbite 3). Ffs they have an entire team dedicated for Frostbite development (Frostbite Labs iirc), just fix the tools or use UE4/Unity.

Do you honestly not think there are loads of people all around the world within EA fixing Frostbyte every day?

Management didnt allow devs from either team to work on those issues. Most likely.

Well yeah, better blame EA rather than the engine then. It makes no sense to me that the "engine" is blamed here, it was built for linear FPS games. EA wanted to use it for anything else but apparently didn't have the foresight to develop the engine/tools further, did they expect for it to just "magically" work?
Do you honestly not think there are loads of people all around the world within EA fixing Frostbyte every day?

Not fast enough, apparently. If you read the Kotaku piece, it says Bioware had significant issues with the engine even back in 2011, that's 8 years ago. This whole thing reeks miscommunication/mismanagement all over.

Last edited:
Is 2016 when FIFA went microtransaction heavy, or was that at an earlier date?

Most importantly, it states FIFA also had problems with the engine in 2016, EA transferred valuable engineers form the understaffed BioWare to help rectify FIFA's problems.

I bet if someone tried to make FIFA with idtech it'd be a massive undertaking. Piece of shit engine? Nope. Everything is time management. Adding features takes time. Adding tools takes time. Writing documentation takes time. Those are management problems.

Baking has always taken hours/days (that Kotaku anti-Frostbite crap is getting annoying..). Id Software had a whole GPU render farm (in house CUDA based light mapper) for baking Rage. UE4's Lightmass is slow as utter shit. Unity is now finalising its GPU Progressive lightmapper based on AMD Radeon Rays which is more than 10x faster than CPU baking and updates in real time in the viewport for fast iteration...and It's not as if EA didn't already port FLUX (the Frostbite Path Tracer) to DXR more than a year ago to for real-time GI iteration in the Frostbite editor viewport and final baking.....But some bollocks article says that Frostbite is shit and responsible for all of EA's (and Bioware's) failures.. so it must be true.. /s

Baking has always taken hours/days (that Kotaku anti-Frostbite crap is getting annoying..). Id Software had a whole GPU render farm (in house CUDA based light mapper) for baking Rage. UE4's Lightmass is slow as utter shit. Unity is now finalising its GPU Progressive lightmapper based on AMD Radeon Rays which is more than 10x faster than CPU baking and updates in real time in the viewport for fast iteration...and It's not as if EA didn't already port FLUX (the Frostbite Path Tracer) to DXR more than a year ago to for real-time GI iteration in the Frostbite editor viewport and final baking.....But some bollocks article says that Frostbite is shit and responsible for all of EA's (and Bioware's) failures.. so it must be true.. /s

The problem of Frostbite is the tools. The engine was very specialized and a good engine for Battlefield but not a good general engine like Unity or Unreal Engine or for example for exclusive game Decima Engine. Naughty Dog explain their engine is tailored to do the game they release and not usable for other style of game. The guy of Embark studios* said the tools of Unreal Engine are better than Frostbite.

* Studio created by ex DICE employee.

Naughty Dog explain their engine is tailored to do the game they release and not usable for other style of game. The guy of Embark studios* said the tools of Unreal Engine are better than Frostbite.
People need to realize that at this point, we had countless DEVELOPERS complain about frostbite from all over EA, not normal people, not amateurs, but actual game makers with hands on experience, that can't be all vaporware or baseless rumors, all those anecdotal evidence from the people in charge converge to confirm one fact: Frostbite sucks as a general engine, and requires much more hand tuning to get results than other engines.

Adding features takes time. Adding tools takes time. Writing documentation takes time. Those are management problems.
Yes, but obviously the engine needs a lot more of those to get anything done, more than many other engines apparently.
Piece of shit engine? Nope.
When so many people who used it complain about it. I feel that we can't escape that conclusion.

This is an ex DICE developer:

People need to realize that at this point, we had countless DEVELOPERS complain about frostbite from all over EA, not normal people, not amateurs, but actual game makers with hands on experience, that can't be all vaporware or baseless rumors, all those anecdotal evidence from the people in charge converge to confirm one fact: Frostbite sucks as a general engine, and requires much more hand tuning to get results than other engines.

People need to understand rendering is only a part of game engine. Tools are very important and he reason people use Unreal Engine or Unity.

Edit:

Last edited:
But even then you can't really blame the engine, they had all the time and money to do anything, either improve it, write a new engine, use UE4 etc. This has been an on going problem for almost a decade, no excuses.
What do you mean by can't blame the engine? That's almost apportioning a humanity to it. It's a lump of code that doesn't work. You can fairly say, "it doesn't work." the reasons why it doesn't work are then a deeper topic, but there's nowt wrong in voicing a criticism of the engine experience.

Back