Sony Playstation Marketing: a quiet place in days gone?

None of this is material as to whether a segment of their user base are right to be unhappy about some of the choices they are making. What's best for Sony shouldn't be a consideration for a consumer.

Then I call your attention to the thread's new title, which asks if Sony are doing enough. It does not have anything about what users think anymore.

Sony has history of going wide and producing failures and successes. I don't see any reason why sony would be in trouble. Solid games last year, good games coming out this year and a good chance some of the big internal teams might deliver for ps5.

Is there new horizon game coming out, what about god of war team, what about uncharted, gran turismo? dreams is getting closer, last of us2 is also coming out.

If sony plays this out proper things don't leak until ps5 announcement. Quieter it is the more boom sony can make. This applies both to games, hw and things like binary compatibility/long term ps4 support to avoid resetting market dominance.

Still, at the beginning of the gen there was the possibility of PS being more open to developers, but that avenue doesn't seem to have opened.

I don't recall Sony indicating this would happen. :nope:

This thread is not about the games or library of PS4, but the ongoing brand presence and Sony community connection, and people voicing what they miss and what they'd like to see, which PS4 having games doesn't change.

Working mostly in London, I see a ton of Sony PlayStation brand presence. It feels like every third bus is adverising a PS4 game.

I remember Sony doing various Playstation promotion events, more ad campaigns, and a huge amount of exclusives being announced plus E3 until the very end. But we see stagnancy on various Playstation features for a very very long time now. Like PS Now and PS2 BC. It's not just this year.

Sony seem to be doing more targeted promotion now. Expect more on Days Gone and other Sony exclusive or marketing-exclusive games. The marketing for Spider-Man, the last big Sony exclusive, was insane. As was God of War.

I can't see Sony spending money if there is nothing specific to promote. I imagine they are looking to pair back expenses as PS5 must be consuming a vast amount of resources. But I see plenty of PlayStation branding in London and a fair few ads in YouTube.

Last edited by a moderator:
And yet here you are upset and preoccupied with those people being upset and preoccupied. So...
And yet here you are upset and preoccupied with those people being upset and preoccupied. So...

Upset? Me? LOL
I'm just having a conversation. One thing is for sure, I would not be crying rivers about no VR content on a broadcast. I'm happy that there was, but mate, my VR backlog is so big at the moment that I really could'nt care, even if Sony would stop selling PSVR altogether.

Then I call your attention to the thread's new title, which asks if Sony are doing enough. It does not have anything about what users think anymore.

Not a title that leads to a focused discussion, IMO. You could go on for pages just arguing over what criteria you are going to use to judge this by.

Not a title that leads to a focused discussion, IMO. You could go on for pages just arguing over what criteria you are going to use to judge this by.

Which means that my statement about you and others having zero information on things I mentioned, IS relevant. You just got in tunnel vision mode and thought I was answering directly to you ;)

@Shifty Geezer, you might want to be more specific in the thread title :LOL:

the disappointment many feel with Sony's current focus.
We should call it the Unexplained Vague Disappointment of 2019.

Maybe I missed it, but the disappointed so far didn't articulate anything that comes even close to a reasonable answer to the very simple questions... "what do you want?" and "what should sony do until they announce ps5".

We should call it the Unexplained Vague Disappointment of 2019.

Maybe I missed it, but the disappointed so far didn't articulate anything that comes even close to a reasonable answer to the very simple questions... "what do you want?" and "what should sony do until they announce ps5".

Nesh gave some pretty specific examples actually of things he wanted to see, but that haven't been delivered on.

Which means that my statement about you and others having zero information on things I mentioned, IS relevant. You just got in tunnel vision mode and thought I was answering directly to you ;)

@Shifty Geezer, you might want to be more specific in the thread title :LOL:

You were replying to someone who was replying to me. Not unreasonable that I thought it was continuing the thread of the discussion, title change or no.

Nesh gave some pretty specific examples actually of things he wanted to see, but that haven't been delivered on.
Sorry I think I missed it, which post are you refering to?

The one about ps2 bc and psnow stagnating? Or the lack of press event until ps5?

Working mostly in London, I see a ton of Sony PlayStation brand presence. It feels like every third bus is adverising a PS4 game.

Exactly this is something I've been trying to get across but haven't been clear about. Sony have upped there marketing massively for there games recently. A lot of there marketing budget has gone into promoting there games, much more than they used too.

Again, people here seem to think they know better about what Sony should be doing than Sony itself, without all the volumes of information Sony has on sales, attachment rates, profitability, ROI etc...
Dude - bring it down a notch or two. There is nothing wrong with people having opinions and expressing them. If we were to leave the 'decision making' to the executives, we wouldn't talk about anything, because 90% of our ideas are just what we think and feel. That's basically what a discussion forum is, or indeed most discussion where people say what they like and don't like. You clearly have a lot of emotional investment in VR which is fine, but it's making a mess of your posts in this thread and the ongoing discussion.

If you can't find peace with talking with people with different perspectives than you, choose not to talk. Else I'll have to reply ban you.

To all, I'll leave the discussion intact for now hoping people can move on themselves and avoid collateral damage, but if people can't talk about this topic sensibly I'll have to start nuking it.

I don't recall Sony indicating this would happen. :nope:
You doubt me, sir?! ;)

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/2201...ation_dev_relations_with_Sonys_Adam_Boyes.php
So anyhow, any hints as to how early [into a game's development] will developers be able to sell a game on PlayStation?
Honestly, we're working through that right now. We're figuring out what's ok. We obviously have our tech requirement checklist that people have to adhere to. So we're internally discussing, what does that list look like this? What are the caveats? Stuff like this. So it's still a project that a lot of minds are considering. No details yet, but it's something on the top of my mind every day.

One of the issues with this discussion is its founded entirely on people's personal perception of what Sony are doing. It may be content is more localised, like loads in London, none elsewhere in the country. It may also be something of a non-issue as we aren't comparing like for like. No-one's drawn up a list of what major developments happened at what time-periods for other consoles, so it's all based on hazy impressions.

Sony seem to be doing more targeted promotion now. Expect more on Days Gone and other Sony exclusive or marketing-exclusive games. The marketing for Spider-Man, the last big Sony exclusive, was insane. As was God of War.

I can't see Sony spending money if there is nothing specific to promote. I imagine they are looking to pair back expenses as PS5 must be consuming a vast amount of resources. But I see plenty of PlayStation branding in London and a fair few ads in YouTube.
Again though, I think the concern some have is that it's only about the games. Which may sound very backwards to some, but there's no pushing of the platform. Even when there are changes, like PSNow working on any PC and mobile, there's no real coverage of it. So MS have all these ideas that people talk about, and Sony also has them and had them first but it's not really talked about, or so go my hazy impressions. Why aren't Sony making more noise for their services? Why isn't PS2 BC being advanced, stopping months after launch at a handful of titles?

Huh? It's a thread about what people think Sony should be doing differently. What's the confusion?

That's from me. I think "Are Sony doing enough?" is vague, since it doesn't really specify what the standard is to determine that. Is it are they doing enough to keep their fans happy or is it are they doing enough to not suffer decreased sales or is it are they doing enough to meet each individual's expectations or ???

Seems to be a strange conversation going on.
I've not seen one person that had said they think ps is not going to have any good games. I've also not seen anyone say that ps4 will not continue to sell well enough.

And i've never seen this much people going defensive about Sony or any platform really.
In my case, i don't own PSVR (yet), so the first State of Play was a dissapointment, >90% are in the same boat as me. Maybe the very first State of Play should have been aimed at the biggest player base, those 90% instead of PSVR's 4% install base?

Then people talking about some AAA games everytime something negative about Sony is being mentioned. Well, yes Sony has <20 real AAA exclusives but most people don't actually buy their PS4 for that. Most people buy a PlayStation because it's a PlayStation. For those that do buy it for the exclusives, it doesn't and shouldn't stop there either? I don't have my PS4 just to play about 10+ games for the whole 7 to 8 year life span atleast.

Microsoft is lacking in the AAA department, people complain about it 'Xbox has no games' etc. On the other hand MS is reacting actively to that, by acquiring studio's, investing in AAA development for the future. Microsoft might or will have a better AAA library in the future, the PS has better games will be moot point then. Consoles have a huge market, much of resources and money go into them, MS is doing long term investments, they want to stand better against Sony next gen.

We shouldn't forget Apple, Google etc either, i think the landscape is looking different for the coming generation. Sony has a easy one really this generation.

That's why people think Sony should be doing more, be more active and open. I see people talking about future releases, we don't even know how great those will be, it's like some people automaticly assume everything will be gold. Days Gone won't be GoW or TLOU calibre.

And i've never seen this much people going defensive about Sony or any platform really.
In my case, i don't own PSVR (yet), so the first State of Play was a dissapointment, >90% are in the same boat as me. Maybe the very first State of Play should have been aimed at the biggest player base, those 90% instead of PSVR's 4% install base?

Maybe it's just me, but disappointment sounds like a really heavy description for a reaction to a 20 minutes reel of something that was clearly announced as a series? Why such a strong sentinent for such a small event?

In comparison, I did understand reactions to the last E3 event, which was quite crappy, but that's E3! It was supposed to be big, it has an history of being big.

When Sony announced State of Play I did not create this huge expectations. I understood it was something that Sony was starting to communicates regularly news about the platform. For something that will be regular, Sony is obviously not able to come up with big surprises all the time. We will probably see more "smaller" games that AAA in these events.

Regarding appealing to 4% of the market with PSVR, like I mentioned elsewhere, they have a goal to grow the PSVR market. You don't grow a market that depends on your existing user base "upgrading" to PSVR by segregating marketing between the ones who have upgraded and the ones who didn't. You grow a market by showing to your users who did not "upgrade" what they are missing on.

Last edited:
Actually they are not. The XBOX is now a much better designed product feature wise and it is still evolving.
I dont see the PS5 "delay" as a proper excuse. Sony sat back knowing they sell well the way they are.
In other words, the PS4's sales made Sony stop investing as much on the PS4 whereas they could make improvements on current services and features.

Shame you did not read my post, clearly they are or they wouldn’t still be killing the amazingly pushed Xbox each month.

They continue to grow the hardware base by over 2 to 1 over the competition, with no signs of slowing down.

Reaching 100 million users at the end of the year, who are continuing to build their library which will follow through next gen. (would need quite a dramatic event for anyone to ditch their entire library of games next gen, what would that be? No physical drive? No BC? PS5 made from strangled kittens?)

They win a truckload of games awards in multiple categories, every year. This has no signs of slowing down either.

They continue to launch new AAA IPs every year, instead of milking the 5th or 10th game of an old franchise. And the new IPs are also critically acclaimed. AAA new IPs are getting rare in this day and age.

Half a dozen first-party AAA are coming out between now and the PS5 (next year).

Whatever the "competition" is doing talking about "services", it's not impacting the market, it's obviously targetting the existing base. The current generation is almost over. Everyone is simply waiting for the PS5 annoucement. Nothing impactful can happen until next year. I have no idea what announcement would make any sense unless it's the PS5.

They announced massive investment into the next phase of PSNow (meaning PS5 level hardware) while the competiton is barely talking about a beta in 2019.

But seriously, what services do want?

Couldn’t put it better myself.

hmmm just looked at a list of 2019+ titles to come cause maybe reality is different than how I thought, platform exclusives https://www.gamesradar.com/new-games-2019/

PS4 (bold AAA games)

Days Gone
Dreams
Shenmue 3

Spelunky 2
Ghost of Tsushima
Knights and Bikes
The Last of Us Part 2
Death Stranding
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
(timed exclusive)

xbox one

Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Phoenix Point
Ooblets
Gears 5
Halo Infinite

Yes the xbox has been on a role recently with their exclusives eg crackdown 3, sea of thieves etc but seriously which console in better shape to have a better 2019?

Yep, watch out - Sony standing still is still bringing more games and new IPs to the table.

Seriously, just because they don’t keep pushing so aggressively doesn’t mean they gave up. They are still advertising and producing the goods and people are still buying.

They could make an announcement fairly soon for all we know.

Next gen is around the corner and market is pretty much saturated at the given price point. There is literally no reason for continuing to market at levels seen at the beginning of gen when Sony’s current market position is etched in stone.

Everything is basically game centric now in terms of marketing. The platform itself is well established and it’s too late for MS or Nintendo to significantly alter the current gen’s landscape.

What does more marketing offer Sony?

Back