Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are preparing two distinct SKUs for launch to cover both entry and enthusiast pricing, one with weaker GPU and one with full GPU.

It reads like pure speculation. As if google being 10.7 supposedly means the others have no choice but trying to beat this number.

I stay at 10TF and 16GB gddr6 for my prediction.

Maybe 24GB. I don't know. :LOL:

Even though Stadia spec's are tied to a cloud environment, I still think PR and buzzwords surrounding standalone hardware spec's and performance are still key in driving a certain scenario ("we provide the better gaming experience because of our hardware") within a bigger picture. Hardware performance maybe key for those wanting the best gaming experience, while others simply don't care. Point being, while the majority of casual gamers may-not care for all the hardware details, they certainly want a better gaming experience than the prior generation on convincing them to move-on/upgrade.

Anyhow, I put my bets on seeing something between 12TF - 13.5TF from the next-generation of standalone hardware.

Aiming for does not mean they'll hit it.

61qsfBD9s9L._SX425_.jpg

61pYLTrLcGL._SL1000_.jpg

:mrgreen:

Aiming for does not mean they'll hit it.
It would be a terrible terrible PR disaster if they didn't hit it, two veteran console company's new toys couldn't out spec a new challenger even by being a year late? I think this is the part where competition yields better product for the consumers comes from :).

It would be a terrible terrible PR disaster if they didn't hit it, two veteran console company's new toys couldn't out spec a new challenger even by being a year late? I think this is the part where competition yields better product for the consumers comes from :).
But there's no google console at any price. How is this comparison making any sense? You can put anything you want in a rack, it's not a console, it's not a product. It's not really a next gen console hardware. You can make a service using quad nvidia V100 right now using amazon. They should target this for a console?

Also... Consumers are perfectly aware that uncompressed pixels are the best kind of pixels.

Last edited:
I was thinking the bare minimum, an STN monochrome, a chip-on-glass row/column driver, SPI interface, led backlight.

Oh, if you're talking mono LCD akin to old candy bar dumb-phones, that's still a stretch. While the tech is ancient, almost nobody manufactures these things in quantity. It's not COTS if it's not on the shelf to buy. In the farm we have a numbest 4x 80 mono LCD text displays on the interpath routers and they aren't ideal - 6x60 would be better. I can't see Sony commissioning a custom LCD with touch for a controller. :nope:

Maybe 24GB. I don't know. :LOL:
16gb GDDR6, 4 or 8gb DD3/4. They really need to give the OS its own space on slow RAM and let the games have access to all of the fast RAM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, if you're talking mono LCD akin to old candy bar dumb-phones, that's still a stretch. While the tech is ancient, almost nobody manufactures these things in quantity. It's not COTS if it's not on the shelf to buy. In the farm we have a numbest 4x 80 mono LCD text displays on the interpath routers and they aren't ideal - 6x60 would be better. I can't see Sony commissioning a custom LCD with touch for a controller. :nope:
Not absolutely required to be custom, a standard 1.8" would fit with minor redesign (I'm ignoring the fake images).

Looking at ER (medium sized chinese lcd supplier):

A 262k color 1.8" lcd with touch, a flatflex, and ili9163 driver is around $4 in prototyping quantities. A few million per year contract would probably be down in the $2 range.

https://www.buydisplay.com/default/...h-tft-lcd-touch-screen-display-module-128x160

There's a lot of lcd manufacturers to choose from when you don't need the latest pitch and if a slow driver is fine. Many do mono medium res tft, for instrumentation displays.

Sony might prefer to stay with the big japanese suppliers though. Which would make it too expensive. I'm just playing the devils advocate about the lcd.

Last edited:
Ryzen 3000 and Navi are expected to be unveiled by Lisa Su at Computex on May 27th.

https://www.techpowerup.com/254259/...rd-gen-ryzen-and-unveil-radeon-navi-this-june

TAITRA, the governing body behind the annual Computex trade-show held in Taipei each June, announced that AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su will host a keynote address which promises to be as exciting as her CES keynote. It is revealed that Dr. Su will simultaneously launch or unveil at least four product lines. High up the agenda is AMD's highly anticipated 3rd generation Ryzen desktop processors in the socket AM4 package, based on "Zen 2" microarchitecture, and a multi-chip module (MCM) codenamed "Matisse." This launch could be followed up by a major announcement related to the company's 2nd generation EPYC enterprise processors based on the "Rome" MCM.

PC enthusiasts are in for a second major announcement, this time from RTG, with a technical reveal or unveiling of Radeon "Navi," the company's first GPU designed from the ground up for the 7 nm silicon fabrication process. It remains to be seen which market-segment AMD targets with the first "Navi" products, and the question on everyone's minds, whether AMD added DXR acceleration, could be answered. Lastly, the company could announce more variants of its Radeon Instinct DNN accelerators.

Well hell it's about time. I guess Lisa's hands are now forced since MS is about to open the flood gate on next gen specs at E3, this is indirect evidence to show what MS is planning.
Navi 20 is a 20 TF gpu or 2080 TI Killer, Navi 10 is entry level 10 TF Basic bitch and the last not the least Navi 15 is Enthusiast 15 TF monster that competes with 2080. The cut down version of it is the secret sauce that goes into both Anaconda and PS5, 12-14 TF is where we at. I may be high balling here but that's what god would do.

Well hell it's about time. I guess Lisa's hands are now forced since MS is about to open the flood gate on next gen specs at E3, this is indirect evidence to show what MS is planning.
Navi 20 is a 20 TF gpu or 2080 TI Killer, Navi 10 is entry level 10 TF Basic bitch and the last not the least Navi 15 is Enthusiast 15 TF monster that competes with 2080. The cut down version of it is the secret sauce that goes into both Anaconda and PS5, 12-14 TF is where we at. I may be high balling here but that's what god would do.
What little insider info we do have suggests MS won’t talk specs at E3.

Even if they spoke specs they wouldn't have to say who their partner is much less which uarch its based on.

Would it make sense for Lockhart to launch prior to PS5? Get a head start by say 3-6 months? Then PS5 and Anaconda can launch around same time?

It will be telling if they do speak about specs in detail because that would mean they are confident that they will have the most powerful APU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back