Valve Index VR headset

eastmen

Legend
Supporter
https://uploadvr.com/valve-teases-index-vr-headset-for-may/

Rumored to have a wider FOV , vive pro or better resolution (lets hope hp reverb levels) and knuckle controllers. First picture is the teaser untouched second is lightened. You can see they kept a physical IPD adjustment

Index-brightened.jpg

Pleased Valve are doing this. The Steam Controller and Steamlink (Rip) are well considered bits of hardware, regardless of whether you get on with them or not.

Gabe's stated previously that they are jealous of Nintendo's ability to design hardware and software together. I'm expecting great things from how they use the knuckles controllers.

Questions!

• How acceptable will the fov / pixel per degree trade off be?
  • What are the minimum pc specs?
  • What lenses are they using and what are the artifacts?
  • Presumably pentile amoled?
  • Different tracking options? Inside out or lighthouse or hybrid? (Since it has big old fisheye cameras and trackers)
  • How much?
  • How can I sneak the spending past the wife?

That's interesting, in as much as it hopefully includes the debut of their knuckles controllers. If it does then despite my Doom and gloom over be advances I could be tempted..... :)

The lack of substantial info or even solid seeming rumours suggest that the release to end users may not be imminent.

I hope for foveated rendering and 802.11ay wireless PC connectivity. I don’t believe either will be provided. High resolution and good tracking are realistic hopes, if a bit too lackluster as it doesn’t really justify Valve stepping into the hardware ring themselves.

I hope for foveated rendering and 802.11ay wireless PC connectivity. I don’t believe either will be provided. High resolution and good tracking are realistic hopes, if a bit too lackluster as it doesn’t really justify

Three Valve games designed around knuckles might.

Pleased Valve are doing this. The Steam Controller and Steamlink (Rip) are well considered bits of hardware, regardless of whether you get on with them or not.

Gabe's stated previously that they are jealous of Nintendo's ability to design hardware and software together. I'm expecting great things from how they use the knuckles controllers.

Questions!

• How acceptable will the fov / pixel per degree trade off be?
  • What are the minimum pc specs?
  • What lenses are they using and what are the artifacts?
  • Presumably pentile amoled?
  • Different tracking options? Inside out or lighthouse or hybrid? (Since it has big old fisheye cameras and trackers)
  • How much?
  • How can I sneak the spending past the wife?

Can you buy me one too cause if this comes out after June I'll have a wife too

One of their Hi-Tech features could be having the credit card log come out under "brunch with wife and mother-in-law".

It worked for whorehouses.

Congrats! You've May to squeeze in that last bit of pointless and selfish spending. :D
Thanks but we live together so its hard to hide something like that and she uses my rift for beat saber so she would notice the headset being different or there being two of them lol. I will just buy it for Christmas for myself.

Current rumors put this as using a jdi 2160x2432 micro display and using two sets of lenses to give a wider fov. If this rumor is true it would put it at 10.5m pixels vs reverb 9.3 , pimax 5k+ 7.3 , vive pro 4.6 , rift 3 3.6 and cv1 2.5 I rounded but still that should show you the dfiffrence . Of course that's if this rumor is true . The jdi micro panel is also capable of a 120hz .

So if this is true expect to be running at a lower non native resolution to make this playable. On the upside if we do have to wait another 3 years for the next gen of headsets again during that time new graphics cards could allow us to render natively again.

More and more however it seems like Oculus made the wrong move with the rift s if these specs pan out. Hopefully they still have another high end headset waiting to be announced so we can get some good competition and price cuts

It'll be interesring to see where they drop with cost. Lighthouse v2 sensors and base stations are half the price of v1. Probably won't offset the cost of screens and lenses.

Lighthouse v2 devices are backwards compatible with v1 base stations, but not the other way round. It means they can sell the new HMD or controllers as stand alone upgrades to Vive customers.

Cleaning cloth included. Ok I'm sold :p
Yup, that's a killer feature! :D
And rumoured release date is surprisingly early (so lets not believe that just yet...). The rest of the rumours though are quite modest, and I still have a hard time seeing a strong case for releasing what overall amounts to a me-too headset. That said, if the product is polished and well priced, I guess you could make the case that it strengthens Steam as a platform for VR vs. facebook or even the Playstation. Looking forward to the real announcement and hearing Valve make their case.

It'll be interesring to see where they drop with cost. Lighthouse v2 sensors and base stations are half the price of v1. Probably won't offset the cost of screens and lenses.

Lighthouse v2 devices are backwards compatible with v1 base stations, but not the other way round. It means they can sell the new HMD or controllers as stand alone upgrades to Vive customers.
my guess ? $600 headset only for those with light houses and wands already. $100 for knuckles and then $800 for a set that comes with the headset , knuckles and two base stations

Yup, that's a killer feature! :D
And rumoured release date is surprisingly early (so lets not believe that just yet...). The rest of the rumours though are quite modest, and I still have a hard time seeing a strong case for releasing what overall amounts to a me-too headset. That said, if the product is polished and well priced, I guess you could make the case that it strengthens Steam as a platform for VR vs. facebook or even the Playstation. Looking forward to the real announcement and hearing Valve make their case.

now that oculus has removed outside in tracking from their newest rift this will be the most accurate headset for controller tracking. If the 135 degree fov is true then it will be one of the largest fovs on market with only the pimax stuff ahead. If the screen resolution is correct it will also have some of the highest ppi of any of the headsets.

I'm not sure how this would be a me too headset. I don't think it did anything to actresses​

If the screen resolution is correct it will also have some of the highest ppi of any of the headsets.

I'm not sure how this would be a me too headset. I don't think it did anything to actresses
IF the assumption that the screens in the Index is one of the screens that JDI or BOE have demonstrated is true.
There is also the rumour that it has the same resolution as the Vive Pro. We’ll see.
For me this feels a lot like a Vive Pro. Certainly interesting if the price is good, but doesn’t break new ground, nor does it attract new categories of users.
I don’t mean to put it down, particularly if it has the resolution to significantly improve pixel density in spite of wider FOV with a decent price.

Last edited:
I'm pretty surprised how expensive index is when looking at the raw specs. I wonder what makes it that expensive? Perhaps too small volume to get good pricing on parts/manufacturing + need to make profit on units sold?

Index makes rift s at 399$ look like a steal despite all the faults rift s has.

Back