Sony Playstation Marketing: a quiet place in days gone?

Exactly. They not going to talk about anything to do with next gen until they actually announce next gen :)

The thing that gets me though is all the fuss about the no news but they still releasing by far the most and high quality new IP over the next two years if you into mature AAA single player experiences.

Yes they probably announced there up coming games to early and that's what's causing the lull now.
Its their half assed execution, no news, no special updates, moves that raise questions than answer. Even some PlayStation Pro games barely get proper enhancements. The product gives the impression that its on autopilot. We had a few eyebrow raising news too. From Yoahida's emphasis "its about the player" we ve seen movements that suggest now the product has no identity. The brand is now handled for short term money saving/making. We are getting disappointing news (see Drive Club removal, Fortnite account scandal, lack of cross platform play support, Some Pro games barely if at all meet the minimum enhancent requirements promised), complete negligence (no updated or improved features on the console, MS and Nintendo making interesting partnerships and hardware revisions, both get games that were originally PS exclusive, MS is constantly updating their console features, while MS is expanding their 1st Party studios Sony seems to close them down, PS Now is still a pricey service that hasn't improved much, the promised option to change your username has still not become a reality, remote play still not supported by Android devices unless you have an Xperia, you still can't find a proper list manager of your purchases in PSN and Sony has closed down their Sony Entertainment site and it is now a generic account management.The PS App has not seen proper improvents all these years. They have made it less functional by making messaging a separate app), plus spasmodic moves with no thought whatsoever (They would have been better off not announcing State of Play at all. They didnt even try. It was a generic compilation of game footage). And I am sure there is more. Is MS going to E3 BTW?

Those who have followed Sony through it's platforms know the 'feel' of PS2 versus Vita. Vita was put out, talked about a bit, and then 'dropped'. Nothing really said about it, left to its own devices, then discontinued. That's where Ps4 has ended up, it seems. It's just out there, selling a bit. It doesn't need 'stage presence' to continue selling and remaining a healthy platform, but it'd be nice to have and Sony/PlayStation would be better off for continuing momentum into next gen.

Once again I will reiterate. For me I will take Days Gone, Death Stranding and Ghosts of Tsushima every day over some pie in the sky news but that's just me.

So how are those games and The last of us 2 not continuing momentum?

Exactly. They not going to talk about anything to do with next gen until they actually announce next gen :)

The thing that gets me though is all the fuss about the no news but they still releasing by far the most and high quality new IP over the next two years if you into mature AAA single player experiences.

Yes they probably announced there up coming games to early and that's what's causing the lull now.

I think it's more likely that there was supposed to be a PS5 announcement by now and since that got pushed it left a vacuum that they had no capacity to fill.

Playing Devil's Advocate:

There are some parallels between late PS4 and late 360 and having the CEO of Sony come out and say that he wants to better leverage PSN to sell movies and music could indicate a diluion of their focus on games...

...but I don't really put much in that. Them following a path that was just proven to lead to near ruin, is just too implausible for me to believe.

Public presence. It's the difference between a pop artist who keeps working quietly in their home studio rolling out new tunes on Spotify, versus an artist who keeps repeating the same library in huge public concerts and doing TV interviews and cameos and events. The former just starts to fade away.

Sony aren't being seen to be doing much at all. PS4 hasn't had any noteworthy updates. There's no talk of the future at all. PS+ has been pared back a bit with the culling of last-gen games. Sony have gotten to a point where people can quietly ignore them, fire up the PS4, play a few games. That's not a great PR position to be in, and that in itself makes people ask (valid) questions, such as, "if Sony have a great plan, why have they got nothing to talk about?" And a fair argument for that is that Sony don't have a great plan. They have a service, PSNow, they want to grow, but don't know how. They have a new console coming, which is just going through the numbers now. They've nothing else. No fabulous new vision, or handheld, or services, or experiences. From once being a great and vibrant town a few years ago, Sony's now getting tumble weeds blowing through mostly empty streets as the Mayor and Sheriff keep being replaced. For the Sony enthusiasts, that's not a great position to be seen in.

Public presence. It's the difference between a pop artist who keeps working quietly in their home studio rolling out new tunes on Spotify, versus an artist who keeps repeating the same library in huge public concerts and doing TV interviews and cameos and events. The former just starts to fade away.

Sony aren't being seen to be doing much at all. PS4 hasn't had any noteworthy updates. There's no talk of the future at all. PS+ has been pared back a bit with the culling of last-gen games. Sony have gotten to a point where people can quietly ignore them, fire up the PS4, play a few games. That's not a great PR position to be in, and that in itself makes people ask (valid) questions, such as, "if Sony have a great plan, why have they got nothing to talk about?" And a fair argument for that is that Sony don't have a great plan. They have a service, PSNow, they want to grow, but don't know how. They have a new console coming, which is just going through the numbers now. They've nothing else. No fabulous new vision, or handheld, or services, or experiences. From once being a great and vibrant town a few years ago, Sony's now getting tumble weeds blowing through mostly empty streets as the Mayor and Sheriff keep being replaced. For the Sony enthusiasts, that's not a great position to be seen in.

Whenever they do announce all this will be a moot point, though. Unless they totally screw the pooch at that time, of course.

Last edited:
Whenever they do announce all this will be a moot point, though.
Not really, because it's a pattern Sony fans don't like. They'd rather have their platform strong the entire lifecycle rather than strong in the first half and somewhat dropped and forgotten in the latter. It just needs Sony to show ongoing enthusiasm, even just to have a State of Play address that's fun and engaging and shows Sony believe in the platform and whatnot.

Even if PS5 comes out the greatest, strongest console ever, that doesn't change the latter-year perceptions of PS4; nor would it change an expectation from Sony fans that PS5 will be fun and exciting from Sony for the first 3-4 years and then kinda quiet until something new comes along.

PS4 has changed from "PS4 (is) For The Players" to "PS4 (was) For The Players, but now it's a nice little cash cow we leave in the shed and milk twice a day when we're not playing Fortnite or LOL."

Not really, because it's a pattern Sony fans don't like. They'd rather have their platform strong the entire lifecycle rather than strong in the first half and somewhat dropped and forgotten in the latter. It just needs Sony to show ongoing enthusiasm, even just to have a State of Play address that's fun and engaging and shows Sony believe in the platform and whatnot.

Even if PS5 comes out the greatest, strongest console ever, that doesn't change the latter-year perceptions of PS4; nor would it change an expectation from Sony fans that PS5 will be fun and exciting from Sony for the first 3-4 years and then kinda quiet until something new comes along.

PS4 has changed from "PS4 (is) For The Players" to "PS4 (was) For The Players, but now it's a nice little cash cow we leave in the shed and milk twice a day when we're not playing Fortnite or LOL."

It just hasn't been my experience that "fans" allow those bad feelings to linger. Once Sony gives its fans something to be excited about all will be forgiven.

Yes, indeed. Doesn't mean it can't be better though. Like a wife whose normally wonderful, loving husband occasionally gets drunk and hits her, she'll forgive him and live with it, but she'd she'd prefer he didn't.

Also, at worst, it's giving those Sony fans more reason to consider the alternative(s) for their next machine. Sure, XB1 launched to a disaster but if MS are promising BC and a cross-platform library and have some great developer support with loads of positive buzz (AAA down to DIY indie titles) and an exciting, enthusiasm filled (real, not bought!) E3 show, their next machine and ongoing ecosystem is starting to sound like something worth checking out. Oh, what's that Sony? Come look at this awesome collection of stuff you're working on?! Oh, sorry misheard. Okay, you get back to whatever it is you're doing. I'll just wait around here for whenever. No worries. So, just wondering, what games are on Xbox Game Pass anyway?...

Last edited:
Not really, because it's a pattern Sony fans don't like. They'd rather have their platform strong the entire lifecycle rather than strong in the first half

I understand where you coming from and I think the PS5 has suffered a delay and that's left them with a vacuum that's only going to get worse but that's all secondary to the potentially fantastic games they going to release which if they live up to the standard Sony's first party have set recently will have a much bigger impact.

So yes things could of been handled better but I feel a next gen delay is the reason for the quietness.

About the section I quoted you on I feel you are wrong. A lot of Sony's goodwill and momentum going forward is that they support there consoles to the very end with quality games more so than the competition. The last years of the PS3 had arguably the best game of the gen released and PS4 will possibly also have the best games of the gen in it's final years.

It just hasn't been my experience that "fans" allow those bad feelings to linger. Once Sony gives its fans something to be excited about all will be forgiven.
They have been giving reasons to be disappointed for quite some time

That's where Ps4 has ended up, it seems. It's just out there, selling a bit. It doesn't need 'stage presence' to continue selling and remaining a healthy platform, but it'd be nice to have and Sony/PlayStation would be better off for continuing momentum into next gen.

You're right, as market leader, PS4 already has momentum and there is only so much Sony can really say; "hey we still sell the PS4 and it's still great.". At this point, the people buying into the console in the sixth year of its life are not likely going-to be buying a lot of games. In terms of how much PR/ad effort you spend, you're very likely in the realm of diminishing returns.

Where Sony are putting effort is where it matters: games. Later this month with have Days Gone and maybe TLoU2 later this year if the PS Store is to be believed. There is term in the UK that you're probably familiar with: all talk, no trousers. Sony is all trousers. :yep2:

You're right, as market leader, PS4 already has momentum and there is only so much Sony can really say; "hey we still sell the PS4 and it's still great.". At this point, the people buying into the console in the sixth year of its life are not likely going-to be buying a lot of games. In terms of how much PR/ad effort you spend, you're very likely in the realm of diminishing returns.

Where Sony are putting effort is where it matters: games. Later this month with have Days Gone and maybe TLoU2 later this year if the PS Store is to be believed. There is term in the UK that you're probably familiar with: all talk, no trousers. Sony is all trousers. :yep2:
The Original PS and PS2 had also a super momentum but until the end we were treated with a slew of amazing titles, events and news.
They are not taking advantage of the PS4 momentum. They are letting it settle down and even destroy it.
There are a ton of things that could have been improved. The PS is an experience. It is no longer about what the game offers as a standalone.
Now you ve got gaming communities, which are supported by console features and networks. Sony has not improved much on that. 3 games just aren't enough.
Sony was promoting the PS as a lifestyle in the past. Now that they have the chance to do it by taking advantage of the momentum, they don't. They isolate the console to just a machine that plays whatever games.
Putting the exclusives aside, MS has been tremendously much better at improving the existing consoles and adding very welcoming and delighted features that shows they care.

Its their half assed execution, no news, no special updates, moves that raise questions than answer. Even some PlayStation Pro games barely get proper enhancements. The product gives the impression that its on autopilot. We had a few eyebrow raising news too. From Yoahida's emphasis "its about the player" we ve seen movements that suggest now the product has no identity. The brand is now handled for short term money saving/making. We are getting disappointing news (see Drive Club removal, Fortnite account scandal, lack of cross platform play support, Some Pro games barely if at all meet the minimum enhancent requirements promised), complete negligence (no updated or improved features on the console, MS and Nintendo making interesting partnerships and hardware revisions, both get games that were originally PS exclusive, MS is constantly updating their console features, while MS is expanding their 1st Party studios Sony seems to close them down, PS Now is still a pricey service that hasn't improved much, the promised option to change your username has still not become a reality, remote play still not supported by Android devices unless you have an Xperia, you still can't find a proper list manager of your purchases in PSN and Sony has closed down their Sony Entertainment site and it is now a generic account management.The PS App has not seen proper improvents all these years. They have made it less functional by making messaging a separate app), plus spasmodic moves with no thought whatsoever (They would have been better off not announcing State of Play at all. They didnt even try. It was a generic compilation of game footage). And I am sure there is more. Is MS going to E3 BTW?

Agree with you on this. Also, i have seen very much negativity against Sony on most forums, regarding the things you mentioned. According to many, Sony had their state of play youtube deleted and re-uploaded to wash the huge amount of dislikes.

Once again I will reiterate. For me I will take Days Gone, Death Stranding and Ghosts of Tsushima every day over some pie in the sky news but that's just me.

I don't think thats what they mean, of those nearly 100 million PS4 users, how many are into all this singleplayer first party games? Playstation is currently my only gaming platform, i like some of Sony's AAA software, but a handful of AAA games ain't going to be a saving grace if many other corporate things fail.

Also, much of criticism regarding TLOU2, many criticize things to with LGBT, and the way its going compared to TLOU1. Hyping all those games without any release date maybe isn't that good either, many might expect more then what can be delivered. Days Gone won't be a God of War, TLOU2 or HZD, its not in the same league, it will be a great game though. It remains to be seen if those titles will deliver what people are expecting.
Currently Playstation is my only gaming platform, i have not many complaints, but i don't like how Sony is managing lately. A more diverse AAA library would be great.

MS and Nintendo are coming to E3 in about two months, MS acquires many studios to form AAA games/developers, they are both PC/Xbox, GamePass is in the direction many like etc, they are actively progressing.

Like said, there's more to it then some AAA games. Hell, we don't even know how those upcoming games will be, can TLOU2 surpass its predecessor? There's people who don't think so. We don't know much about Death Stranding, here's hope it will be like MGS1/2/3 since the break up with Konami.

Putting the exclusives aside, MS has been tremendously much better at improving the existing consoles and adding very welcoming and delighted features that shows they care.

This. For exclusives, MS seems to be investing heavily into that, 'xbox has no games' has been said many times, MS probably is aware where it needs to grow.

This thread is sounding like resetera lol.

As mentioned earlier, the (likely) delay for PS5 has caused the ‘quiet’ to stand out more, where Sony could talk about both systems and all the games they have to hold back.

MS are being so ‘good’ because they have too, they have no option but to improve their inferior product and talk about nextgen ASAP to get in peoples heads...Sony are already there.

Sony continues to bring out games for PS4 and PSVR and of course they both get fantastic support from 3rd parties.

Regarding PS+ I put that also down to the PS5 delay, but we also don’t know anything about Sony’s long term plans.

BTW, no-one mentioned Dreams which is due out soon too...that’s going to fill a void if anyone thinks there is one! Out of interest what is coming out for Xbox this year?

If Sony release late 2020 or mid 2021 then it’s no big deal imo, gives them more time to have a strong launch lineup and they can really hype it as something special- being 5th gen consol.

MS are being so ‘good’ because they have too, they have no option but to improve their inferior product and talk about nextgen ASAP to get in peoples heads...Sony are already there.
Actually they are not. The XBOX is now a much better designed product feature wise and it is still evolving.
I dont see the PS5 "delay" as a proper excuse. Sony sat back knowing they sell well the way they are.
In other words, the PS4's sales made Sony stop investing as much on the PS4 whereas they could make improvements on current services and features.

Back