Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

I think the safe strategy is releasing ps5 with PSVR1 compatibility, and with an eye on what they'll probably need for PSVR2 compatible as well fore future proofing.
I don't know about that.. The resolution in PSVR is really low, at 1MPix per eye.
A standard (and very cheap) Windows Mixed Reality headset does around 2MPix per eye, and the difference is very high.

The Pimax 8K goes all the way to 8 MPix per eye (two 4K panels), but the increased FOV makes the pixel density closer to 5 MPix per eye if it had the same ~90º as the others.

when 4K 60fps 6DOF prOn videos are released, VR will sell tens of millions.
Honestly, we can probably do fine with 2 DOF video for VR for a while, but we're definitely going to need a whole lot more than 4K / ~30Mbps if we don't want to feel like we're seeing the world through a CRT panel.
Trying to see those VR videos through youtube is especially painful.

That's why I said the safe strategy is to release your new console first, and your peripheral later. Not what MS did.

MS with kinectv2 is pretty weird. Kinect v1 have tons of games and experience but it was much more limited in kinectv2.

IIRC, kinect1 even have "scan your own stuffed animal" kind of game

It still proved to be good enough for now, it still can be good enough for a couple more years.
I really think it's not good enough.
The resolution in PSVR is so low that you can't really discern any football-sized object past some 10 "virtual" meters away from you.
That limits your gameplay options, a lot.

IMO if Sony has a PSVR2 with a Varjo-like implementation in the works, they should release it at the same time as the PS5, to completely replace PSVR.

Getting hp reverb specs to psvr pricepoint would be giant leap for quality. Would require eye tracking as that resolution is beyond reasonable to render via brute force. Early indication is that display quality on reverb is superb. Negatives on reverb are controllers/tracking solution. 599$ for consumer version, pro is 50$ more.

Panel per eye, both panels have 2160x2160 resolution and 90Hz refresh rate. Lcd is a minus and plus. Minus on black levels, plus on true rgb, not pentile. 114 degree fov.

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/workstations/mixed-reality-headset/index.html

There is some really amazing high quality vr videos on youtube. Not everything is crap. For example these are truly amazing

There are loads of significant improvements. However, the 'virgin experience' has been and gone. Kinect was about bouncing in front of a TV. Kinect 2 was way better, but having experienced bouncing-around-in-front-of-the-TV already, consumers didn't feel the need to revisit that experience in higher quality. Everyone who's point on a PSVR and felt in a new world has now had that revelation. Whether they want to experience the same thing but better, or whether they feel satisfied now, is unknown. Personally I think VR can improve significantly and become far more immersive than PSVR, but that doesn't mean consumers are willing to buy into it. What may happen is the a percentage of the existing PSVR users want PSVR2, and a percentage have had their VR itch scratched and aren't interested in a sequel, but there'll be millions more VR virgins for whom PSVR isn't right but for whom PSVR2 will be a great experience and they'll be a new market.

Kind of, there will be more VR virgins than Kinect/eyetoy virgins. Price and complexity are real barriers that will hopefully be removed that kinetic didn’t have so more potential customers.

That's why I said the safe strategy is to release your new console first, and your peripheral later. Not what MS did.

Shoving it down throats was probably the issue more than anything. Although, it was probably a bit like Wii in that (as shift said) the itch was scratched and doing the same better isn’t always a home run. I think the difference here is kinetic was never a serious gamers tool whereas VR has serious gamers...if you know what I mean.

It still proved to be good enough for now, it still can be good enough for a couple more years.

Yeah, the games had the limitations in mind so you have PS3 level games in VR hopefully next gen PS4 level!

Some games look great, such as AstroBot is one of the best looking VR games on any platform. With superb frame rates too.

By the way, in motion the precision of the PSVR (move) controllers is pretty good, because in Beat Saber I have all trophies which includes full combo trophies on expert, and I am now starting to clear some pretty crazy Expert+ songs even. The drift only really occurs noticeably when not moving at all. And the regular controller integration into the VR experience is so far unparalleled by any other platform and is really great.

I think the impact of VR is not really comparable to the impact of just full body tracking on a 2D screen, and in addition to that the full body tracking of Kinect was just 30fps so there were few games that could cater to hardcore players in that respect I think. VR requires low latency and high frame rates and that is something that makes a really big difference.

On the other hand, Kinect came at a time when the Wii’s success with motion controls was very high and dancing games were a big hit, so timing wise it did really well.

VR is not nearly that close to the mainstream yet. But it could get there. My ex-wife just bought a Homido, a low tech phone based VR that I’ve had myself for a long time now because she really likes the YouTube and other movie VR stuff. She never plays games but she did really enjoy Beat Saber and when she’s over to bring my son here she still sometimes plays.

I think VR is here to stay and it will be interesting to see where it will go from here. I am very curious how Dreams in VR will turn out, just because I think those creation tools + VR + 3D printing could turn out to be a really cool new evolution in terms of creativity. But there are so many other possibilities that haven’t even been scratched the surface of.

Certainly though for movies and such an increase in resolution would be nice. For games it is really less of a deal than that the requirements are currently so much higher for VR that you can’t just play something like Assassins Creed in VR, which would otherwise be pretty mind-blowing.

But is that real life or CGI?

Realtime 3D rendering, you're never going to have 6DOF real life video. How would you even accomplish that without rendering everything as 3D models?

Hell, RL VR videos can't even get side to side head translation correct or moving the head forwards and backwards correct. At best they are relatively believable with head rotation (looking right, left, up, down but not actually moving the head left, right, up or down), although they still have problems with separation of images the further from center you go.

Regards,
SB

Some day we’ll get to the point where we can film in 3D models ...

Back