New Nintendo Switch hardware versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think 1080p in handheld mode would be a giant waste. The native 720p titles look great on the screen. Even the ones with no AA. Would be cool if a new Switch could lock that number down (as well as 1080p in docked mode which scales up nicely on 4K displays). If there's some extra hardware grunt left after that, maybe use it to push out some lods or things like that. Way more noticeable than resolution (and way more distracting imo) I'd love a bigger focus on efficiency. I consider the battery life in handheld mode to be barely acceptable at this point. If the engineers could eke out an extra hour it would be a fantastic improvement.

I'm guessing with Parker they could allow players to enable a low-performance mode where the CPU and GPU would clock at handheld Switch levels, but it will probably be working below its optimal power/performance curve.
An easier way to make last longer on battery would be to put a larger battery inside.

Just remember that this is Nintendo.

My expectation is that the "pro" version will allow the same fidelity handheld as the current system does when docked. Maybe it will include a 1080p screen. The low cost version will just use salvaged chips that didn't make the bin for the pro model. It will be a straight shrink of the 20nm Tegra to something like 12nm.

If there is a new higher powered Switch model this year, I do agree that Tegra X2 is the likely choice for it. 7+ inch 1080p screen would be nice. Cost cut model at $199 should do well.

Just remember that this is Nintendo.

My expectation is that the "pro" version will allow the same fidelity handheld as the current system does when docked. Maybe it will include a 1080p screen. The low cost version will just use salvaged chips that didn't make the bin for the pro model. It will be a straight shrink of the 20nm Tegra to something like 12nm.

I'll be one step more cynical:

POW/Power Switch: same mobile spec as Switch 1.0, but higher bandwidth RAM (128-bit bus ala TX2?). Boosted docked clocks vs Switch 1.0. Mainboard components are spec'ed for higher power consumption while docked. Same battery pack, same screen. :V
Lite Switch: same spec as Switch 1.0 for handheld/dock (only 64-bit bus enabled if TX2?). Mainboard components spec'ed for lower power consumption. Same or worse battery pack, same screen.

Same screen in both so that devs still only need to target 720p UI for mobile PPI across all three possible SKUs, and 1080p UI for docked. Binned 12nm chip.

Last edited:
I'm not sure Nintendo will be inclined to create a third (4th if we count the 2nd portable profile) performance profile for Switch. This is problematic for game development, and I am not convinced that even doubling the performance of the Tegra X1 would result in anything more than being a bit closer to the worst performing dedicated console in the Xbox One. I believe a Switch unit that is smaller and doesn't have detachable joy cons is likely. A Switch portable only unit could easily be about the same size as the PS Vita. The other model will be more Nintendo DSi rather than PS4 Pro. 1080P screen, reduce the bezel in order to increase screen size to 7 inches and it operates in the docked performance profile all the time. Other changes such as better Wifi hardware and maybe an ethernet port and optical cable connection for surround sound in the dock.

I would like to see Nintendo maintain its current performance profiles for now, and instead of a mid gen boost, focus on the true successor to the Switch, and release that in 2-3 years. Just like the Switch and 3DS had overlap for a couple years, the successor for Switch doesn't have to mean instant abandonment of the original Switch. Nintendo isnt likely to go back to the dedicated home console market, so having two very uniquely priced pieces of hardware on the market is a nice to way to continue to sell hardware to a very wide demographic. The successor to Switch can also be a bit more expensive next time around. $399 doesn't scare people off. It will be interesting to see how much performance Nvidia can offer with a processor pulling sub 10 watts in a few years. Is surpassing the base PS4 a possibility in the year 2022?

So unless you're willing to spend extra, docked play is a no-go? Don't think that's going to happen. I think a lot of things can happen, but nothing that will affect the USP of the Switch. The Switch concept of having a portable that doubles as a console is the huge, easy-to-understand selling point the WiiU was sorely missing, and Nintendo isn't going to tinker with it.

The 2DS is an example of them doing exactly that. It didnt matter as the high end 3DS was still available.

A portable (with dockable pack) addresses the $150ish market that Nintendo have abandoned for the moment. It's perfect for kids, as opposed to early adopters and core fans.

I'm not sure Nintendo will be inclined to create a third (4th if we count the 2nd portable profile) performance profile for Switch.

Indeed. So... keep the 2 mobile profiles the same, and leave the rest to boost for a supposed higher end SKU (memory clocks & docked super switch). Leave it up to the devs if they want to take advantage of higher docked clocks?

The second model can focus on optimized power consumption & cost reduction for costs.

Keep most of the manufactured bits similar enough for bulk orders (chassis, screen, joycons, mainboard).

IMO, literally just cherry picked APU for the higher end model for folks that are looking to use it as more of a docked unit whilst still having the option for mobile (albeit with compromised battery life compared to the lower end). IIRC, there was that data about how Switch owners were utilizing the Switch -> exclusively handheld, exclusively docked, or both, and I think maybe they can make a two-tiered scenario that uses as much redundancy in manufacturing to cater to the two interests without forgoing the idea of the Switch, if that makes sense?

This is problematic for game development, and I am not convinced that even doubling the performance of the Tegra X1 would result in anything more than being a bit closer to the worst performing dedicated console in the Xbox One. I believe a Switch unit that is smaller and doesn't have detachable joy cons is likely.

Tegra X2 is effectively the same HW units as TX1 but with double bus width and higher clocks (they can disable the twin denver2 cores if they don't plough any further R&D into an area-optimized design). Tegra Xavier is the one that has 512 shaders and the oct-core thing.

IMHO, having a separate unswitchable switch just adds extra manufacturing cost in a larger context in the sense that it's a separate line, but I can see the argument for something akin to 2DS. I just think it'd be cheaper to take advantage of existing manufacturing lines for the additional bulk economy of scale there.

But.... I guess we'll see...

Last edited:
The 2DS is an example of them doing exactly that. It didnt matter as the high end 3DS was still available.

Not the same thing at all. The 2DS was simply lacking a feature everyone turned off after the first couple of hours anyway. Just like everything else 3d, the 3d part of the 3ds was a failed gimmick. Besides, the 2ds came out when? 4 years after the original 3ds? Games like 1-2-Switch don't even work with attached joycons.

Not the same thing at all. The 2DS was simply lacking a feature everyone turned off after the first couple of hours anyway. Just like everything else 3d, the 3d part of the 3ds was a failed gimmick. Besides, the 2ds came out when? 4 years after the original 3ds? Games like 1-2-Switch don't even work with attached joycons.

The games that require separate Joycons are few and far between.

The biggest loss would be Labo. So long as the 'dumbcons' are removable from a cheaper Switch, Labo works with optional Joycons the same as with docking.

Don't get me wrong here, I like the dockable element of the Switch. I think they should offer it. I just don't think they have to offer it on every version of the hardware as standard.

Last edited:
Have a fold-out stand in the back and HDMI port, no dock. Cheaper and more practical. Can even have a timer on the SwitchLlite screen of how many more minutes of the parent-set time-limit remain.

The biggest loss would be Labo. So long as the 'dumbcons' are removable from a cheaper Switch, Labo works with optional Joycons the same as with docking.

Don't get me wrong here, I like the dockable element of the Switch. I think they should offer it. I just don't think they have to offer it on every version of the hardware as standard.

I just think that if there's one company that'll desperately try to avoid any and all kinds of confusion on behalf of the players ("is the WiiU an add-on for my Wii?"), it's Nintendo. I doubt there's ever gonna be a Switch that'll abandon the hardware's USP. Heck, even the name's gonna be pointless if they do. Are they gonna rename it to Nintendo FIXED then?
I see them selling upgraded Switch hardware with or without joycons and the dock, though.

Just like the 3D-less Nintendo 3DS was called Nintendo 2DS, the switch-less Nintendo switch will be called Nintendo stick, as in: "stick to portable mode you cheapo"

Last edited:

Mario Party is one of those games. Maybe not the biggest Nintendo game but still.

Also, how much money would leaving out the dock and joy cons really save? I can't see that shaving 50 bucks of the price. And even if it does, how is that going to fare with consumers? Unless you only do single player, if you have to buy a pair of joy cons or pro controller you'll end up spending as much or more as when you would have bought a normal Switch to begin with but with more downsides.

Mario Party is one of those games. Maybe not the biggest Nintendo game but still.

Also, how much money would leaving out the dock and joy cons really save? I can't see that shaving 50 bucks of the price. And even if it does, how is that going to fare with consumers? Unless you only do single player, if you have to buy a pair of joy cons or pro controller you'll end up spending as much or more as when you would have bought a normal Switch to begin with but with more downsides.
Switch mini has an advantage - portability.
I'd like to buy mini for a portable gaming and Pro for home.

Switch mini has an advantage - portability.
I'd like to buy mini for a portable gaming and Pro for home.

Ditto. The appeal of the Switch to me is that I no longer need to buy mobile games. Switch games appeal because that game can be easily played on my TV or on the train. It doesn't need to be one piece of hardware, just one ecosystem. I'd so buy a more portable, compact Switch.

I'd rather Sony creative a genuinely portable PlayStation - as in compatible with their home console, but they haven't so now a bunch of games I would have bought on PS4 I have bought on Switch. Waiting if necessary. Looking at my Switch game library, yeah, aside from Zelda and Mario Kart, it's all cross-platform where I consciously portability over performance and price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, how much money would leaving out the dock and joy cons really save? I can't see that shaving 50 bucks of the price. And even if it does, how is that going to fare with consumers?

I don't know numbers, but it means loosing a pair of extra batteries, recharging HW, bluetooth thingies, 4 complex to manufacture slide and attach switch tray thingies. It probably saves a lot. add that to a smaller overall product (less material and smaller box) and a smaller/cheaper screen, and HW that never has to operate in the HD performance profile, I think they certainly can shave off you 50 bucks or more.

if you have to buy a pair of joy cons or pro controller you'll end up spending as much or more as when you would have bought a normal Switch to begin with but with more downsides.

Well, I see no problem there. If you see yourself wanting that kind of experience, than the full fledged switch is the product for you. The fact it is cheaper to buy the full switch than a nintendo stick +extra controlers is a feature, not a problem.

I'd rather Sony creative a genuinely portable PlayStation - as in compatible with their home console, but they haven't so now a bunch of games I would have bought on PS4 I have bought on Switch. Waiting if necessary. Looking at my Switch game library, yeah, aside from Zelda and Mario Kart, it's all cross-platform where I consciously portability over performance and price.
I'm not sure on feasibility there unless they can scale the UI properly for unpatched games (maybe it's a non-issue afterall, but I'm not sure how PS4 devs handle things); Switch devs cater towards the small screen since days gone.

I'm also hoping for revised joycons. I actually like them as controllers mind you. But like so many other Switch owners, I also fell victim to the analog drift issue. It's really annoying.

I'm also hoping for revised joycons. I actually like them as controllers mind you. But like so many other Switch owners, I also fell victim to the analog drift issue. It's really annoying.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ifting_nintendo_switch_joy-con_analogue_stick

I have used the compressed air method and it does tend to work. Peal back the rubber boot a bit, and shoot some compressed air in there. I have also purchased a replacement analog stick, and the repair process was not to bad, and the replacement sticks are really cheap. It sucks that Nintendo's analog sticks have temperamental. I have Gamecube controllers with over 500 hours that still work great. The analog sticks took a turn for the worse starting with the Wii U, and it hasn't gotten any better on Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back