Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

I wore my specs. I cleaned the lenses after the first use - they were yucky!! We moved the back band up and down, but it's a bit weird to focus based on that. I think one of the stand-out issues is you only have a small central point of good focus even set up right, and it gets blurrier out from there. We didn't use IPD adjustment in settings, although the distance between the lenses means narrower (or wider) IPDs will never by ideally served. I don't think I'd like to try another headset without physical IPD adjustment. We also likely need curved screens to get past the cheap-ass optics' limitations.

Oh, didn't mention we played Astrobot and I can see why it is raved about. It's placement in the world space is spot on. You just naturally stand up to look higher etc. Sorely missed hands being properly represented in VR. Inside-out tracking is going to be a big step forwards.

Also, we mostly played sat on a footstool which I think a good idea. When stood up, it was there behind me as an anchor point so when the back of my legs touched it, I knew it was safe to sit down, which meant no drifting off around the room.

did you play on a standard PS4 or a pro ?
some games have rough IQ, even on Pro, like Gran Turismo.
On the other hand games like wiepout look really sharp.
But i must say when I switch to the Oculus Go i immediatly see the resolution improvement other PSVR screen, and a lot of games, though simple in geometry detail, are very clean with good AA. Can't wait to try Oculus Quest with its dual OLED screens.

Oculus rift has a small lever that physically moves the displays.They also have some kind of sensor to detect what ipd adjustment user uses. This should give oculus real good idea if the range of adjustment they provided is good for general public or if they should make the range wider/narrower for next products.

Assuming pupil tracking appears in PSVR2 or some other headset, setup should be nicely automatable.
There's been attempts at doing this but I don't know if anyone succeeded. Fresnel have artifacts off axis, so it's not surprising they all have a physical shift. Aspheric doublets potentially have a wider area of clear image or at least artifact-free and high contrast (depending on design) , and we are seeing all those having an electronic correction. But those are all soft in the corners or wherever there are high incidence rays.

I'm curious if PSVR2 will go with hybrid fresnel. Occulus recently changed to similar head mount and similar lenses to psvr1. Fresnel could be too expensive.

To measure IPD it needs to measure your eyes when you're focussing on an object near infinity, which doesn't seem possible without a real world view. Also pupil tracking so far seems to be very imprecise with prescription glasses, and needs calibration, which defeats the purpose of using it to calibrate IPD precisely.

PSVR automated this by measuring your eyes looking at the camera without your glasses.

Hard to tell if there's a better solution.

Last edited:
hurrah! london heist full game!!!

it was awesome to play AND experience in the demo/short. they really know how to direct visceral VR "movie"

Some nice bits of news!

In related news, as of yesterday I am now one of probably about 1000 BeatSaber PSVR players in the world with the Platinum Trophy!

So now I can focus on getting good enough to actually pass Expert+ songs and playing the new song pack, which we are also really enjoying.

Man, the PSVR catalogue keeps getting better and better. So many cool stuff and not enough time to play! I'm currently playing the indie Kona VR. The graphics are PS3 launch quality, but the puzzle solving and mystery about what happened in the story are right up my alley.

Right now I'm really hoping for the PSVR2 to be fully backward compatible, and just be able to render all these games with a higher resolution using a wireless headset and improved controllers.

Right now I'm really hoping for the PSVR2 to be fully backward compatible, and just be able to render all these games with a higher resolution using a wireless headset and improved controllers.

Did Sony say they're developing PSVR2?

Or is there even reason to believe they're developing it?

Curious how it compares to something like Oculus Go which is $200-250. OG is wireless and as a more recent design, one would hope less clunky?

Maybe if Sony can minimize the tethers and find a way to produce a light, cheaper kit but with still better display and performance than PSVR ...

There was a patent a few months ago from them of a system that included both inside out and outside in tracking. It could be a way to keep compatibility with PSVR1 games and support news ones.

Did Sony say they're developing PSVR2?

Or is there even reason to believe they're developing it?

Curious how it compares to something like Oculus Go which is $200-250. OG is wireless and as a more recent design, one would hope less clunky?

Maybe if Sony can minimize the tethers and find a way to produce a light, cheaper kit but with still better display and performance than PSVR ...

They are for sure. Otherwise why keep pushing for it? Monday's State of Play was all about PSVR, making flat gamers furious lol. The new President also gave an interview where he hinted as "one less cable". Comparing to Oculus Go is meaningless, as it does not have 6DoF, it's been basically a Gear VR on steroids. Oculus Quest now, that will be interesting.

Back