Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [pre E3 2019] *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is how I see things would go this year. MS reveals Scarlett family specs at E3 2019 which then entices Sony to follow up soon after in a special event. We'll most likely get leaks at May. Brad Sams commented Anaconda is a response to PS5 and the specs are on par, so if the 12 TF leak on Anaconda is true then this new 11.6 TF PS5 leak sounds very much in line with his claim. Somewhere in my head I feel like the stars getting aligned now.

I think MS will definitely say something about the next consoles this year at E3.

I think Sony wil say something as well, not because of Microsoft, but because of google. Whatever you think of the streaming solution, google is basically announcing a nextgen experience that’s available this year.

This is how I see things would go this year. MS reveals Scarlett family specs at E3 2019 which then entices Sony to follow up soon after in a special event. We'll most likely get leaks at May. Brad Sams commented Anaconda is a response to PS5 and the specs are on par, so if the 12 TF leak on Anaconda is true then this new 11.6 TF PS5 leak sounds very much in line with his claim. Somewhere in my head I feel like the stars getting aligned now.
Once again, this is unlikely according to Albert. It's very difficult to 'respond' especially when we're talking about responding to rumours. The price points and costs need to be set way in advance. I have trouble believing this, companies can guess what each other are doing as they have access to the same vendor and that both companies are trying to do the same thing, but that aside, it's hard to say much more.

Ie. MS can come and look and determine what a 399, 449, 499 variant would all look like. And from that they can get a ballpark idea of what Sony could do, but that aside, it's not the same as knowing what PS5 and responding to it is.

MS can come and look and determine what a 399, 449, 499 variant would all look like. And from that they can get a ballpark idea of what Sony could do, but that aside, it's not the same as knowing what PS5 and responding to it is.

True for the most part, but it still was shocking Sony was able to add an additional 4GB of GDDR5 to the PS4 at the time, without raising BOM cost substantially. So there might be some hardware tricks or treats that Sony or Microsoft can catch each other off-guard with.

Why doesn't a cloud system run over 2.7 GHz then? It doesnt have to be as concerned with acoustics and thermals.

Intel isn't selling 32 core processors with 4Ghz clocks. Acoustics and thermals may not "matter" but Google is certainly interested in density.

Once again, this is unlikely according to Albert. It's very difficult to 'respond' especially when we're talking about responding to rumours. The price points and costs need to be set way in advance. I have trouble believing this, companies can guess what each other are doing as they have access to the same vendor and that both companies are trying to do the same thing, but that aside, it's hard to say much more.

Ie. MS can come and look and determine what a 399, 449, 499 variant would all look like. And from that they can get a ballpark idea of what Sony could do, but that aside, it's not the same as knowing what PS5 and responding to it is.
I think that's what he meant in terms of determining what the purpose of Anaconda is. I'm sure MS knows Lockhart doesn't cut it specs wise so for a well balanced Price vs Power system as they imagine what PS5 would be, Anaconda is a direct response in that sense at the design stage. There is a possibility MS doesn't want to have the most powerful system but powerful enough to be on par with PS5 at the $399 price tag, this would ensure a far better competitiveness than at $499 while the $299 Lockhart takes care of the rest.

GDC is over and we aren't getting any reliabe rumours yet.
Isn't it weird? Maybe it's too soon for consoles releasing in 18 months?

Or it adds further credence, what at this point feels like a technical certainty, that from a devs perspective the next gen consoles will just be higher specification target as existing consoles. There has probably never been a console generation shift with as little change of underlying architecture. With PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, devs are already setup for ever more scaleable engines and that's really what you're talking about unless somebody is going to through RT into the mix.

I think that's what he meant in terms of determining what the purpose of Anaconda is. I'm sure MS knows Lockhart doesn't cut it specs wise so for a well balanced Price vs Power system as they imagine what PS5 would be, Anaconda is a direct response in that sense at the design stage. There is a possibility MS doesn't want to have the most powerful system but powerful enough to be on par with PS5 at the $399 price tag, this would ensure a far better competitiveness than at $499 while the $299 Lockhart takes care of the rest.
I don't see why it would have anything to do with ps5.
There would be no Lockhart without anaconda.
MS never thought we need anaconda because of ps5.
The reason there wouldn't be just a Lockhart is that it just wouldn't make any sense.
If there was no 1X the Lockhart would be the mid gen upgrade. Or start of the rolling upgrades. Would have released instead of 1X.

As it is, it could only be entry level next gen as the 1X exists.
Nothing to do with Sony at all.

Anaconda could exist without Lockhart though.

I don't see why it would have anything to do with ps5.
There would be no Lockhart without anaconda.
MS never thought we need anaconda because of ps5.
The reason there wouldn't be just a Lockhart is that it just wouldn't make any sense.
If there was no 1X the Lockhart would be the mid gen upgrade. Or start of the rolling upgrades. Would have released instead of 1X.

As it is, it could only be entry level next gen as the 1X exists.
Nothing to do with Sony at all.

Anaconda could exist without Lockhart though.
Theoretically they could for sure and I don't deny that they have their own central strategy, I'm simply looking at it from a different view, a possible scenario.

Anyway I think MS is definitely going down with the announcement this E3 (most likely) according to Benji's comment.
To be clear this isnt leaking stuff. I am not aware of a planned PS5 reveal event for this year.

However there are going to be some major things happening this year that I would be stunned if Sony waited it out.

If people are mad at Sonys silence now they will be furious by the end of the year considering what's on the horizon
I expect MS' next gen marketing to kick into full gear soon.

Anyway I think MS is definitely going down with the announcement this E3 (most likely) according to Benji's comment...I expect MS' next gen marketing to kick into full gear soon.
I don't see the need for Sony to feel pressured. If MS start talking about XB2 and Sony stay silent...so what? Everyone knows PS5 is coming. I expect rumour mongering and gossipping to just increase. I can't see those with allegiances changing. The only way people could jump ship for lack of info is if XB2 is out and there's no word on PS5, and people get tired of waiting. As long as XB2 isn't released, Sony can announce PS5 whenever and get just as much attention and excitement (or not) as it's all about the hardware at that point. Until then, Sony can just tease, tiny little useless snippets that gets everyone imagining a ridiculously powerful box a realistic XB2 could never compete with!

I don't see the need for Sony to feel pressured. If MS start talking about XB2 and Sony stay silent...so what? Everyone knows PS5 is coming. I expect rumour mongering and gossipping to just increase. I can't see those with allegiances changing. The only way people could jump ship for lack of info is if XB2 is out and there's no word on PS5, and people get tired of waiting. As long as XB2 isn't released, Sony can announce PS5 whenever and get just as much attention and excitement (or not) as it's all about the hardware at that point. Until then, Sony can just tease, tiny little useless snippets that gets everyone imagining a ridiculously powerful box a realistic XB2 could never compete with!
Agreed. Personally I don't mind it that much as long as Sony give me more updates on TLOU 2, Death Stranding, Ghost and maybe just a little bit of hint on the Avenger-disintegrating power of PS5 through tweets. Then comes a full reveal of the complete Infinity Stones PS5 at a PS Meeting early next year. Meanwhile I'll be enjoy a full blown next gen show from MS and the accompanied third party titles this E3 as it is and to fill the gap, so it's a win win for me. I highly doubt XB2 would launch this year though.

Thing is, teasing an Infinity-Stone level PS5 with CGI clips, and then revealing a PS5 no more powerful than XB2, would certainly be no worse than revealing a comparably powered console at around the same time. If MS ante up and show a strong hand, Sony can still keep with the game keeping their hand close to their chest and trying to suppress their twitching eye tell, and sneak a couple more aces from their hidden pocket.

Well they've learned their lesson from the PS3 launch so it ain't gonna repeat that again.
tenor.gif

What lesson? PS3 launch sold a decent amount despite being outrageously expensive (at which point sales crashed, because it was outrageously expensive). I don't think there's any evidence that sales suffered because the hardware seemed overpromised.

I don't know. For the first 2 years or so the PS3's existence there was basically a never ending barrage of articles ridculing the PS3 because it fell so woefully short of the E3 "realtime trailers" amongst other things (the 600$ George Foreman grill with the shitty versions of multiplatform games, excessive loading times, mandatory installs, subpar online servce, no achievements and no exclusives worth losing any sleep over was basically the narrative. And rightfully so), and even though Sony sorta managed to keep its enormous new ocean liner from capsizing, it still sold like half of what the PS2 managed during its lifetime. No idea whether it was due to overpromising or because of the Wii or because the 360 gained a foothold. Probably all contributing factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back