Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

Something doesn't add up in my mind. If rift s is essentially same as quest why not just allow using quest with pc instead of doing quest and rift s?

There's the possibility that the Quest hardware can't support PC without additional cost. It's just a Snapdragon 835.

It'd either need to be able to give control of the sensors and screens over to the PC (extra hardware) or have the snapdragon do low latency bundling and receiving of sensor and display data.

Beat saber has healthly sales

‘Beat Saber’ Sells Over One Million Copies
By Scott Hayden - Mar 16, 2019 8
Beat Games, the Czech Republic-based indie developers behind Beat Saber (2018), announced they’ve sold over one million copies of their popular block-slashing rhythm game—a figure calculated across all supported VR platforms.
https://www.roadtovr.com/beat-saber-sells-one-million-copies/

I guess the time is near

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-email-rift-s/

Something doesn't add up in my mind. If rift s is essentially same as quest why not just allow using quest with pc instead of doing quest and rift s? Perhaps rift s delegates tracking computation to pc, this would make rift s quite a bit cheaper and simpler to manufacture than quest. It would be wild if quest turned out to be more expensive than rift s. On the other hand real cheap and ok. quality rift s might be just what pc market needs. Especially so if there is no external tracking sensors needed making setup simpler and more palatable to people who don't like to have wires and sensors in their living room.

Rift is 349$(2 controllers, 2 sensors included) at the moment and quest I believe is going to be 399$(includes 2 controllers). Will be interesting to see at which price point rift s lands.

Well rumors from the same site put it as the Oculus Go screen + updated lenses along with 4 cameras for tracking and software IPD .

When you remove
2 sensors
Go from 2 screens to 1
Unmovable lenses.

It sounds like they can drop a lot of money from the cost. The Go is only $200 and it has a snapdragon in it. The cost of the snap dragon would most likely out weigh the cost of 4 cameras for tracking. So in all honesty if it turns out to be a go with 4 camera tracking it hopefully will sit at the $200-$250 price range.

Be interesting to see what they announce. Was round at a friends this weekend who had just got a Pimax 5K, was quite impressive (but my god the vive wands are horrible), but it didn't really seem 'enough' of an upgrade to get excited about this stuff again :(

Based on specs and price I'm very disappointed on rift s. Lcd, lower refresh rate, marginal improvement in resolution though at least it's not pentile. To me this is not at all convincing upgrade over rift unless the device is somehow better than what raw specs imply. I guess reviews will tell.

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-official/

For example hp reverb or pimax 5k/8k feels much better headset than rift s. Of course it's also more expensive but,...

This PC VR headset has a 2160 x 2160 per eyeresolution (making it a 4K headset at 4320 x 2160 combined) with dual 2.89″ LCD panels and Fresnel-Aspherical lenses. It’s got a 114-degree field of view and uses the same two-front-facing-cameras for tracking that you can find in other existing Windows VR devices.
https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/19/hp-reverb-vr-mixed-reality/

Removal of physical ipd adjustment also sucks bad. I am at the very end of adjustment in rift so I suspect sw ipd will be sucky for me.

Now I understand why some people left oculus. Their new device plain sucks and is not competitive.

Quest however looks nice but pc folks are left behind. Luckily I have bought all vr content from steam so it's easy for me to switch away from oculus.

Last edited:
Seems to be pretty much a downgrade on every front.... guess it's not hugely expensive which is a plus. After playing with Pimax 5k at the weekend I'm pretty much going to wait a year or two before I even start thinking about upgrading - just not enough improvements going on at the mo.

I want to upgrade as rift picture quality starts to feel not that good to me. Top candidate for me is hp reverb but need to still wait until reviews come out.

I for one approve of the improvements and keeping the price point reasonable at the same time, and probably with room to go down further, if they care to. It will be interesting to see how the standalone fares against the S, and the standalone’s existence alone probably means that requirements are likely to go down sooner than up, which I think is ok. But the standalone is going to be incredibly attractive if it just works. We’ll see though.

I like basically everything I read about it - the new comfort of how it hangs on your head (Sony’s setup is perfect), the five inside out cameras, all in all it ends up being a huge step forward in usability, and the screen door effect had to go as well.

Main competitor in my case remains the PSVR - I’m still extremely pleased with it and a PC headset needs to prove that I need it next to that. A stand-alone headset though may have an easier time with that, we’ll see.

My question is why is this so expensive ?

its using the same screen as a $200 device , its a single screen and no physical ipd . It has 5 cameras on it. I don't see the additional camera costing that much move over the quest which also has an soc , ram , storage , battery and so on. It makes little sense and I am very disappointed . I'm really hoping that MS updates their WMR specs to 4 cameras and redesigns of the controller

They can't really undercut Quest at launch and it gives them some place to go on price. They could get undercut on price by a WMR2 device as you say. Would the comfort and optics be as good? For now, they're probably the best spec at their price point? They've been very careful on retaining minimum pc spec as well. A proper Rift2 would be great but there's still not a big enough install base of suitable graphics cards.

It's so ugly compared to their in house designs. It really does look like they've shoves their optics and tracking into an existing Lenovo hmd.

They can't really undercut Quest at launch and it gives them some place to go on price. They could get undercut on price by a WMR2 device as you say. Would the comfort and optics be as good? For now, they're probably the best spec at their price point? They've been very careful on retaining minimum pc spec as well. A proper Rift2 would be great but there's still not a big enough install base of suitable graphics cards.

It's so ugly compared to their in house designs. It really does look like they've shoves their optics and tracking into an existing Lenovo hmd.
well according to hands on with the hp reverb its the most comfortable headset they have tried.

Valve is apparently rumored to announce something in the near term . They have knuckle controllers they have been working on for a few years and we already know 2160x2160 are possible. Introducing a 120 or a 130 degree fov would still allow them to increase visual quality with screens like that over the original rift and vive. Here is hoping for someone to do something new with vr.

well according to hands on with the hp reverb its the most comfortable headset they have tried.

Valve is apparently rumored to announce something in the near term . They have knuckle controllers they have been working on for a few years and we already know 2160x2160 are possible. Introducing a 120 or a 130 degree fov would still allow them to increase visual quality with screens like that over the original rift and vive. Here is hoping for someone to do something new with vr.

The Reverb looks nice. It's not priced right for consumer VR, but it's not their intention anyway. It's also only an incremental visual improvement over the Rift S.

I don't think well see a leap forward in visuals for 2-3 years, when 7nm gfx cards are mainstream. Software and hardware will need to support foveated rendering.

I guess Valve could go for the high end now. It's not like StreamVR headsets are cheap at the moment anyway. I think they go for a slight specs bump over Vive and price reduction too.

After reading more, I am surprised that the Quest has pled and hardware ipd adjustment and the Rift S doesn’t. All things considering I agree that this smells like a marketing decision where either the Rift S is perceived to target a market that is willing to pay extra and that the Quest is perceived to be a more important product that the company is willing to lose money on.

This may be a correct consumption. And it also leaves Rift S with room to rekindle sales with price reductions later and or respond to competitors.

How will the quest work with a pic - I thought it's whole selling point was that it was a wireless , self contained system?

Back