Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that stuck out to me was that deer. It doesn't create any splashes when it runs away, but in the first Division, I was continuously amazed by little flourishes like this.

Some parts of The Division 2 looks very flat, the lighting and AO aren't the best in business. I find the outdoor foliage heavy area of DV2 in daylight the most eye pleasing, some of the indoor sections are really lacking tho. I think it's a wash between DV1 and 2.

Seems almost like an Ubisoft staple by now: Overpromise with the first game, then reign in the second game until it's barely an improvement anymore. At least that was also my impression of the two Watchdogs. Despite the heavy downgrade I still thought WD1 was the more impressive game in certain aspects.

No. Watch Dogs 1 PC Version does not work nearly as well as the other games from Ubisoft. Huge HUD, I can't change anything in the HUD, small FoV, strange controls and generally much less options.

Watch Dogs 2 is several classes better. Apart from the scenario and the symbols I wouldn't even think that Watch Dogs 2 has anything to do with Watch Dogs 1. The differences are huge. The hacking alone is much more precise, extensive and funnier than in Watch Dogs 1.

Some parts of The Division 2 looks very flat, the lighting and AO aren't the best in business.

I can barely name one console game with an ok AO. Most AOs in games are extremely imprecise.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-sekiro-shadows-die-twice-performance-analysis

Does Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice improve over Dark Souls' performance issues?
Every console version tested.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is a spiritual follow-up to the Souls series with a very different visual style and a range of new gameplay ideas. It's a fast-paced, tough-as-nails action game and it's every bit as good as I had hoped - but when it comes to the technology powering its games, From Software doesn't exactly have the best track record. Games like Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 are gorgeous to behold with complex geometry and remarkable art direction but on consoles, performance leaves a lot to be desired, while historically, loading times have been problematic. Sekiro manages to address some concerns, but others persist.

At its core, Sekiro is very much a successor to the Souls series - the bonfires and estus flasks are represented while the core progression and focus on a steep challenge are in full effect but this game goes a few steps further. The speed of the combat and focus on parrying, for instance, remind me of Team Ninja's seminal Ninja Gaiden for the original Xbox - a game that shares a similar overall structure in terms of level design as well. The inclusion of stealth mechanics and the grappling hook remind me of Acquire's Tenchu series. These new skills allow players to take a slightly different approach to combat - you can dispatch foes with stealth kills or simply get a leg up on a boss fight by hiding then surprising them with a stealth attack.

In Theory: is PS5 powered by an AMD Gonzalo processor?

Is it, is it? Digital Foundry definitely don't know. :nope:

DigitalFoundry said:
In the case of the new SoC, it's called Gonzalo and deciphering the product code unearths a range of potential specs. Adding further spice to the story is that since January, a second Gonzalo processor has appeared on the 3DMark database - a revised version of the same silicon - giving us further information and some hints on how the chip has evolved in the last three months. However, even when the existence of the first silicon revision came to light, speculation linked it to Sony and PlayStation 5. From my perspective, verifying this as genuine is a lot easier if we can find any kind of prior link between 3DMark database entries and final console silicon.
Bespoke console silicon isn't in the 3DMark database? No kidding...:yep2:

Digital Foundry staff seems to confirm our suspicions -MS over confidence presenting the console before anyone else when no one announced theirs- about which console is going to be the most capable one in the next generation.

Cleverly Xbox fanboy cut off John mid sentence and left out rest of the sentence:
39:42
Richard: Do you think there's anything here that's going to be worrying Microsoft?

John: [Laughs] No not really, I honestly feel like I they're both gonna have very similar boxes but after what happened last time I feel like Microsoft is pretty hungry again. I don't I don't know we'll see what happens but I suspect that it'll be an interesting battle but I don't think anybody has I don't think there's anything to worry about yet other than maybe the switch Pro. [Laughs]

John: Well for me actually the thing I'd imagine Sony would be more worried about the Microsoft is the infrastructure stuff. So I'm very much into keeping Hardware in the home rather than the cloud. But, uh, between Google and all that you know that seems to be a driving force for this next gen and maybe an optional kind of thing and Microsoft is poised to deliver on that pretty easily I think at this point they have the resources here. I don't think Sony has the resources and their networking hasn't been great so it does kind of feels like you know they have to pour everything into this hardware it's the physical box is super key to the next generation PlayStation whereas the physical boxes maybe you know it's a big chunk of the next Xbox but and it's not the only part.

Richard: I think this is a really interesting discussion is the extent to which Stadia could be a game changer because it has a state-of-the-art solid-state storage solution with no limits, with you know, literally you know they can draw upon I think Phil Harrison told me petabytes of data. So there's that and you know it's got a reasonably powerful CPU even judged by PC terms 10.7 teraflops. You know much as I'd love to see the next generation consoles deliver 12-14 teraflops that's going to be a big call in a small box with a constrained thermal solution. So yeah and then of course there's as you say John the whole infrastructure side of the equation which is that you know they've got scalable Elastic Compute where they've got the ability to have clients and servers peer-to-peer which you know potentially a game-changer and yeah I'm gonna be fascinated to see how this one plays out because Microsoft as you say of you know they'd they do have a cloud infrastructure.

1pijft.jpg

Ini mini miny moe, everyone wants in the 60 CU boat, if it overheats, let it go, ini mini miny moe.
twd_616_gp_1113_0080-rt-h_2016.jpg

That's based off Vega VII at 1800Mhz boost clock(60CU*1800Mhz=13.8Tflop).
I don't see the point in expecting 1800Mhz base clocks on a console.

Vega architecture;
56CU @1600Mhz = 11.46TF
56CU @1500Mhz = 10.75TF
60CU @1600Mhz = 12.26TF
60CU @1500Mhz = 11.49TF

My money is on 56CU @ 1600Mhz, with Navi secret sauce, 12TF?

Last edited:
That's based off Vega VII at 1800Mhz boost clock(60CU*1800Mhz=13.8Tflop).
I don't see the point in expecting 1800Mhz base clocks on a console.

Vega architecture;
56CU @1600Mhz = 11.46TF
56CU @1500Mhz = 10.75TF
60CU @1600Mhz = 12.26TF
60CU @1500Mhz = 11.49TF

My money is on 56CU @ 1600Mhz, with Navi secret sauce, 12TF?
Maybe Navi has better optimization for thermal so it doesn't run as hot as Vega 7 while raising the clock. Less CUs is always good for saving die space and money.

Alex is the Dedicated RT guy now. No turning back.

Also with all this news on RT minecraft, I’ll
Eat my hat if MS doesn’t release official RT support for it in the near future using DXR.

They don’t even need to guess if it’s the right thing to do. They just need to see it and make a
High performance version of it.

Alex is the Dedicated RT guy now. No turning back.

Also with all this news on RT minecraft, I’ll
Eat my hat if MS doesn’t release official RT support for it in the near future using DXR.

They don’t even need to guess if it’s the right thing to do. They just need to see it and make a
High performance version of it.
God!! :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:As for Alex, he is the new John Carmack when it comes to Ray-tracing.

Carmack talked about the future here, and how Raytracing would become the norm someday.

He also mentions that X360 was the most powerful of its generation at the 10 mins 50 seconds mark.

DF Article: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-days-gone-ps4-and-ps4-pro-tech-analysis

Days Gone tech analysis: Bend Studios' Unreal world under the microscope
Sony developers using Epic's engine deliver a very different open world.

After more than seven years in development, Days Gone has finally arrived, delivering Bend Studio's take on the zombie apocalypse. It's a large-scale open world experience with a heavy focus on narrative and characters. To boil things down to their essentials, it's basically The Last of Us meets Far Cry and it works.

It starts with the environment. Days Gone features an impressive take on the Pacific Northwest, with richly detailed conifer forests and open plains serving as the backdrop. The scenery has a decidedly unique feel as a result of this setting, and it's backed by a highly impressive dynamic weather and time of day system, amongst many other features. Bend also takes the road less traveled when it comes to its technology backend, with an approach that differs from most of Sony's acclaimed first-party studios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back