Stadia, Google Game Streaming platform [2019-2021]

I still rate Microsoft to have the superior service or coverage at least. They have the most widespread data centers. Looks like Africa doesn't cut it for Stadia.

Hardware Stats:

AMD GPU
10.7 TF
56 CUs
HBM2 memory

Custom Hyperthreaded CPU
2.7 Ghz
AVX2 SIMD

16GB combined VRAM
Upto 484 GB/s System RAM
It's odd they don't mention the number of CPU cores. Could it be only 4 cores ?

Buzzwords buzzwords... About something that isn't new.. And that all other parties are about to or are already offering. AMD must be happy though (we already know that since Lisa Su CES keynote anyway). All the game streaming platforms are powered by AMD GPUs (Stadia, MS Xcloud & most probably Sony).
I'm happy. I bought tons of AMD stock the day MS announced XCloud. This combined with EYPC and next gen, that investment is looking positive in the near future.

The direct to server wifi controller was a good idea. Something MS said around xcloud was that the Android Bluetooth stack can add 10ms of latency on its own.

Looks like we have a wait to see what pricing and how games are sold look like.

They didnt list a manufacturer for the CPU. Could just as easily be AMD as someone else, but then they need compiler support which would have left fingerprints/clues elsewhere.

Isn't hyperthread(ed) an Intel intellectual term/IP? While multithreading is used by most other processor manufactures on describing SMT. I'm not saying hyperthreading isn't being used incorrectly or in a generic fashion by Google... but they can actually be using an Intel based CPU.

Isn't hyperthread(ed) an Intel intellectual term/IP? While multithreading is used by most other processor manufactures on describing SMT. I'm not saying hyperthreading isn't being used incorrectly or in a generic fashion by Google... but they can actually be using an Intel based CPU.
True. Lisa Su tweeted that they are the GPU provider.. No mention of CPU. Could b be Intel. If not, then how would Google build it's own X86 CPU without having an X86 license?

So it's either 3 or 6 cores ?
I'm not 100% clear on cache configs, but if we roll with the Intel connection inferred from the marketing terminology thus far, I might deduce it's a quad core Skylake X derivation (AVX512 also disabled + modest speed for power consumption reasons) since that had the funky 1MB L2 per core + 1.375MB L3 per core (maybe they've designed a hex core with 2 cores disabled since the smallest Skylake X would be a 12-core design. I haven't done enough permutable additions to come up with 9.5MB total cache though.

A triple core with 512kB per L2 attached to 8MB L3 is the only other one I've thought up for now (4 cores, 1 disabled). *shrug*

/flees

I think Google is going to have a huge advantage over Microsoft in terms of scalability. That's the downside of Microsoft using Xbox hardware for the XCloud data centers...

So it's either 3 or 6 cores ?

Miminum it would be six physical cores. I've ran gaming CPU test in the past with many CPU core/thread configurations. Even at 3.2Ghz, a 3c/6th configuration still has certain framerate issues with 4K video/film playback, and some nasty framedrops with certain games. Seeing as the Stadia is using a Vega 56 GPU equivalent, I personally wouldn't stack a beefy GPU with such a low core count CPU, regardless of it being HT capable.

Last edited:
Hardware Stats:

AMD GPU
10.7 TF
56 CUs
HBM2 memory

Custom Hyperthreaded CPU
2.7 Ghz
AVX2 SIMD

16GB combined VRAM
Up to 484 GB/s System RAM
Where do they mention VRAM ? They only say RAM on the slide.
I'd say there is 8GB of HBM2 for the GPU and 8GB of DDR4 for the CPU.

I think Google is going to have a huge advantage over Microsoft in terms of scalability. That's the downside of Microsoft using Xbox hardware for the XCloud data centers...
How so? Xbox HW (One S based right & one X later on) is an order of magnitude cheaper and smaller in physical size (4x modified One S boards per blade). Also Google isn't fitting all their data center with those Stadia servers either. Just like Xcloud, it's going to be a tiny part of their Cloud infrastructure in the beginning.

Last edited:
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9GLzUvODI4Njg5L29yaWdpbmFsLzEyMzQzMjQxLkpQRw==

So the sh** talking has already started. Google console warriors in the waiting... somewhere.

But seriously, fun times ahead... :yep2:

I'm skeptical on how this can be a profitable business. Those specs are pretty impressive, but doesn't that mean that there is around $1000 or more worth of hardware to service every user currently playing? Will they be able to sell this service for more than $20 per month? I doubt it, and that means you need subscribers to be a customer for a very long time just to recoup the cost involved with the hardware. Will you buy games or will this be more like Netflix? Its impressive that the tech has evolved to the point where this is viable, but that doesnt mean there is a good business model that can turn this into a profit center. Yes, its possible for Google to take massive losses for a long time trying to force there way into the market, and even then, how do you turn this into a profitable business?

Back