Stock Market Rumor: Sony moving to acquire Take-Two Interactive Software

I don't know, I think a massive proportion of the GTA fan base will buy a specific console if it's the only place to play GTA and it all adds to the pull or the reason you will choose one over the other if you can only get one.

There is no need for that. To play GTA people must have a PS, Xbox or PC. PS would stay intact, and PC and Xbox could access the game some time later via PSNOW. ;)

But no... that will not happen. Sony will not buy Take Two.

Eidos is owned by Square Enix.
I know this. My point being that it amazes me that Sony or Microsoft saw no value in there IP's. I was positive one of the two was going to buy them but Square Enix did. I bet you they both would jump at it now for the price Square paid.

It made no sense because MS is going to acquire TakeTwo...

I mean if you think about it. MS would certainly be able to offer a lot more money to take over TakeTwo. I don't think MS would just hear about sony buying them and saying oh yea its cool that Sony gets RD and GTA as exclusives . Lets just ignore that and not try and get our hands on it.
Then you have Amazon entering the games market and perhaps google too with the announcement leaning that way next week and perhaps apple. So any one of these companies would be in a better position to purchase them. Heck Google or Apple could simply buy sony if they really wanted to enter the market in a big way.

I agree with most of it, but they could never acquire sony. Not because of money.

why wouldn't they ? I mean Disney is buying fox. ATT is buying Time warner. I don't think it would be stopped unless the Japanese government steps in.

Nintendo would be the better buy for Google or Amazon me thinks but as previous poster said Japanese government would have to allow it.

MS gaming division revenue is much lower than Sony's playstation division. If it's ridiculous for sony to buy take two it's even more stupid for MS.

Not so much stupid as it is perhaps unlikely due to the financial situation. Minecraft cost MS a couple billion after all. Activision bought Candy Crush for lollars too. Edit: $6Bn

MS gaming division revenue is much lower than Sony's playstation division. If it's ridiculous for sony to buy take two it's even more stupid for MS.

Microsoft spent $2.5bn purchasing Mojang for Minecraft! :yes: In terms of RoI, buying the owner of Rockstar looks to be a much safer long-term acquisition despite RDR2 not being as liked as GTA by gamers.

Microsoft spent $2.5bn purchasing Mojang for Minecraft! :yes: In terms of RoI, buying the owner of Rockstar looks to be a much safer long-term acquisition despite RDR2 not being as liked as GTA by gamers.
Yeah there's that, I wonder if it help their gaming division or just the P/E ratio. Since they continued to make the game for competitors.

How much are those sports worth though? GTA and RDR and worth a fortune, but because they're multiplat. GTA and RDR etc only on PlayStation will make them worth far, far less. So would Sony stay multiplat on them? Would they see about going more multiplat in future, as it's basically good business sense?

This is why I'm always so skeptical of these types of rumors/suggestions. A platform holder investing this much in a large multiplatform publisher (EA, TT, Activision, etc.) is going to immediately devalue that asset significantly. Let's make a huge investment in this business and immediately reduce it's capacity to make money. Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

This is why I'm always so skeptical of these types of rumors/suggestions. A platform holder investing this much in a large multiplatform publisher (EA, TT, Activision, etc.) is going to immediately devalue that asset significantly. Let's make a huge investment in this business and immediately reduce it's capacity to make money. Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Yup. Back in PS2 days Sony bought early GTA exclusivity and it worked for them. But the gaming world has moved on. Would it work now? Perhaps. Would I bet my money on this? Nope. :nope: The value of any property is worth what you can profit from it, which diminishes significantly by restricting the prospective audience by limiting platform availability.

Yup. Back in PS2 days Sony bought early GTA exclusivity and it worked for them. But the gaming world has moved on. Would it work now? Perhaps. Would I bet my money on this? Nope. :nope: The value of any property is worth what you can profit from it, which diminishes significantly by restricting the prospective audience by limiting platform availability.
Sony probably wouldn't worry about making it exclusive anyway due to the huge sale split. About 70% of total RDR 2 sales were from PS4 users in UK. If PS5 is more dominant in market next gen as well as having more powerful base hardware then the trend could continue and Sony's money could be better spent else where.

Wouldn't it be better for sony to just focus on organic homegrown products? They have incredible teams and technology. Sony should be able to venture to gta like land if they so desire? Ramp up something new in guerrilla games so they can work 2-3 games parallel. Or perhaps uncharted team would want to take a break from adventure games and work on something completely different? Working on something completely different paid of real well in guerrilla games and also keeps teams happy. Doing opposite works for a while but as we have seen in bungie/ms just doing one kind of a thing is maybe not the most sustainable/fun thing to do for development team.

Btw. are there any rumours if there will be new game set in uncharted universe coming out or if the team has pivoted to something new and possibly surprising? I guess the next game is last of us 2 but they would have something already in works for time after that?

Back