Community Poll: Will Sony PS5 have 4K UHD BluRay?

Will Sony PS5 have 4K UHD BluRay?

• Total voters
For 2018, the top 15 films made 1 billion in dvd/bluray sales in the US alone.

Sony doesn't have much of a burden in licensing costs.

The hardware cost will have dropped further by 2020.

Their usual cost cutting to reach a price point have been consistently to remove non-gaming hardware (or making things optional like the camera, psvr, move). For the Pro, a UHD drive would have been unrelated to games. For PS5, it's definitely useful as a game media.

UHD is basically still born. People are not buying the movies. Even if you exceed the 50GB limit, it is more cost effective to ship two 50GB BD discs like RDR2. The disc player is not really for movies, but just a way to install the game.

UHD is basically still born. People are not buying the movies. Even if you exceed the 50GB limit, it is more cost effective to ship two 50GB BD discs like RDR2. The disc player is not really for movies, but just a way to install the game.

Actually, although the market for discs has diminished, the consensus in the industry is that within that universe, UHD Bluray is more successful than standard Blu-ray was at the same age.

How about a 3rd option. Sony goes with a proprietary optical disk format similar to the UMD disks for PSP. :p

<<runs away>>

Regards,
SB

Sony is involved in long time ago announced "Archival Disc" technology that will allow starting capacity of 300GB per disc.

But UHD BD discs are already heavily produced and will be enough with their 100GB capacity.

Maybe it's because I don't have a UHD HDR TV yet but I've soured on discs.

PITA to have to have shelf space, then physically retrieve the discs. Hard drives are cheap these days but I don't want to spend time to rip it either.

TBH, I'm more likely to watch movies if it airs on TV than to insert the disc.

I've built up a Plex server and I'm not even bothering too much about the settings to make sure it doesn't transcode to some lower res or lossless audio when it streams.

Even when it transcodes, it's probably delivering 90% of the quality a Blu Ray would.

Now, with the hassle of ripping UHD BD discs and the file sizes, there's probably going to be a big delta between Blu Ray SDR rips and UHD HDR Blu Rays.

Sony is involved in long time ago announced "Archival Disc" technology that will allow starting capacity of 300GB per disc.

But UHD BD discs are already heavily produced and will be enough with their 100GB capacity.
The drive itself will be dirt cheap, my lingering question is how much does it cost sony for UHD playback. Sony and Panasonic have the patents and licensing related to the disc production and the drives technology, but not the codecs and format.

Those 300GB archival discs are 150GB per side. And the 500GB version (coming out this year) is also double sided. They have no ROM version planned. I suppose a ROM pressing equivalent would be 250GB single side if they want to be compatible with current triple layer mass production. I'm not sure it's worth the effort to do anything incompatible with current equipment.

In fact, as you said, I'm not sure either it's worth making those ROM versions, I wouldn't be surprised they just make dual disc installs for the games above 100GB.

We still haven't figured out the next gen games size, GT Sport and RDR2 are already past 100GB on current gen. So, will we have 100GB average and 200GB+ for the big AAA? Will there be a few 300GB monsters? Or have assets sizes pretty much peaked and most improvement will be computational instead of asset resolution?

I'd welcome it for the odd movie here and there. Unfortunately the big streaming services still don't offer much in terms of UHD, much less HDR, besides their in-house productions. I bought Elysium and The Shallows on Amazon video, hoping they'd be UHD and HDR. Unfortunately the latter was not the case with either film. Granted, Elysium already looks phenomenal in UHD (it's among a select few films where the entire mastering pipeline was 4K or so I've heard), but I've heard it's particularly amazing with HDR.

I'd welcome it for the odd movie here and there. Unfortunately the big streaming services still don't offer much in terms of UHD, much less HDR, besides their in-house productions. I bought Elysium and The Shallows on Amazon video, hoping they'd be UHD and HDR. Unfortunately the latter was not the case with either film. Granted, Elysium already looks phenomenal in UHD (it's among a select few films where the entire mastering pipeline was 4K or so I've heard), but I've heard it's particularly amazing with HDR.

You mean in the all you can eat services like Netflix or Amazon Prime?

Of course feature films are going to be limited. Now if they go back and rescale and regrade older films for UHD HDR, they could greatly expand the scope.

But I would think going forward, as they release newer movies in UHD BD, they can use the same grading and mastering copies for streaming. Or at any rate, you can pay disc prices to buy them from iTunes. I believe Vudu has similar selection of downloadable UHD HDR films?

Why would they be limited? I get why the ones included in your Prime membership would be, but I'm talking about the ones I have to pay for. Specifically the 4K ones. Oddly enough they aren't just limited in terms of HDR support. Unlike their little 1080p brethren, most of them don't even come with multiple languages. You'd think Amazon's rather limited 4K movie library would be geared towards film enthusiasts. You know, the kinds of people who really value these kinds of things. And yet the only version of Blade Runner 2049 I can buy in 4K has no HDR support and comes with a German language track only. Missed opportunity if you ask me.

Only about 10% more than plain bluray, so license cost is probably not a reason to stay with a 50GB drive. Hardware cost is more noticeable, but should level down below $20 specially for sony.

That 10% could be the difference between a profit, shipping at cost, and a loss. Consoles are costed by the cent.

Sony have made some seemingly inconsequential redesigns which makes you question how much they really save in the long-term given the redesign cost itself, and change to tooling and production lines. A 10% change in the cost of one component, which is increasingly becoming less used, is not insignificant. I believe Sony would make such a decision based on UHD disc sales and projections of that growing/holding static/dwindling.

Why would they be limited? I get why the ones included in your Prime membership would be, but I'm talking about the ones I have to pay for. Specifically the 4K ones. Oddly enough they aren't just limited in terms of HDR support. Unlike their little 1080p brethren, most of them don't even come with multiple languages. You'd think Amazon's rather limited 4K movie library would be geared towards film enthusiasts. You know, the kinds of people who really value these kinds of things. And yet the only version of Blade Runner 2049 I can buy in 4K has no HDR support and comes with a German language track only. Missed opportunity if you ask me.

I don't have a 4K HDR setup yet.

But to get HDR, the masters would have to be regraded so maybe they haven't gotten around or plan to get around to doing films older than say 5 or 10 years?

I can see them doing it for new releases.

Back