Service Footprints of Streaming Services *spawn*

It can't possibly be a disaster. No-one is forcing them to use it, so if they want it, they'll pay, and if they don't, they won't*. It's just an option.

* To date they haven't much on any of the streaming platforms. Game Pass is a little different in including local-run game subscription alongside streaming, so people will want it for that whether they use streaming or not. That increases the chances of them using stream at a later date as an little bonus to their main reason for the wanting the service. PSNow also does the same with PS4 games, so you can subscribe and download to PS4, or stream, but I don't know what the value is like. I don't hear people talk about PSNow in the same way I have heard them talk about Game Pass. Apparently there are hundreds of games for PSNow - it might actually be good value. :-| One major difference is no-one gets cheap PSNow for searching the internet. ;)

PSNow also does the same with PS4 games, so you can subscribe and download to PS4, or stream, but I don't know what the value is like. I don't hear people talk about PSNow in the same way I have heard them talk about Game Pass. Apparently there are hundreds of games for PSNow - it might actually be good value. :-| One major difference is no-one gets cheap PSNow for searching the internet. ;)

A problem is PSNow is also limited to the US and UK I think(maybe Japan too with a few EU countries). You can't use PSNow in any other country as far as I know.

I don't know what countries Game Pass is allowed in, don't think my country(South Africa) either although Azure services have gone live here recently, but not sure whether Game Pass is on offer.

A problem is PSNow is also limited to the US and UK I think(maybe Japan too with a few EU countries). You can't use PSNow in any other country as far as I know.

I don't know what countries Game Pass is allowed in, don't think my country(South Africa) either although Azure services have gone live here recently, but not sure whether Game Pass is on offer.
Gamepass has similar issues, just different countries and zones. It's not yet fully available to everyone, I doubt XCloud will be either.

Sony also added open support for PSNow to Android and iOS, so they have intentions to expand it, plus must have suitable numbers to show that's worth them pursuing. Just found this...

https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2018/1...ounts-for-52-of-gaming-subscription-services/

Superdata.jpg

This is false, and they literally expanded service to a bunch more European countries yesterday.
Well it's good to know that they've expanded the service. I stay in South Africa though. I will try out the service again to see if it's available but am currently on holiday and will be travelling so will try out once I get back in a few weeks.
I see there's a 7 day trial avaiable so will try that first if it's available in my country(which I doubt).

Note the link is for Great Britain so not sure it will work for me.

Ok, it's not available.

As per the wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Now

PS Now is currently available in Austria, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Switzerland, United States, United Kingdom, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Norway, Denmark, Finland, and Sweden.[16]

Sixteen countries is not a hell of a lot so I stand by my original comment. How many countries are in the EU?

A quick google shows there are 28 countries in the EU. Also there are 195 countries in the world(197 if you include Taiwan and Kosovo). The PSNOW service only reaches 19 countries total, so just under 10 percent.

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick google shows there are 28 countries in the EU. Also there are 195 countries in the world(197 if you include Taiwan and Kosovo). The PSNOW service only reaches 19 countries total, so just under 10 percent.
For those sorts of stats, you need what proportion of the populace, and in particular populace who wants such a service. Some countries will completely lack the infrastructure to allow for game streaming, so shouldn't be counted. It's more a case at the moment of what proportion of PS-buying countries does PSNow cover? That limits growth, of course, but that's the first step on such a service before spending considerable amounts of money trying to reach new audiences. Those 16 countries likely cover > 50% of PlayStation buying countries, maybe significantly more than 50%.

We also see from the above little chart that PSNow makes ~130M revenue for Sony, so investment must be either proportional or very lossy.

Back