Linux is a pile of shit

Linshit. Fuckbuntu. Good luck trying to find out how the fuck you are supposed to get this piece of shit OS to recognize new hardware and install a driver. You'd think some imbecile over the last couple of decades would have thought of doing this in a not completely convoluted impossible to understand way. You thought wrong.

Fuck Linux and fuck shittydev.

It's been over a year and you still seem to be experiencing a high level of frustration. Maybe you are not the best person to be working on this project?
Is there no technical staff to assist?

Or maybe this OS is a dumb piece of shit. Tell me, where is the documentation that shows how to get this piece of crap to detect and install the drivers for new hardware? Why does this have to be so difficult? How hard should installing a new driver be anno 2019? The whole project is working fine, the only problems are related to Shittux.

But the project seems to require Linux. And by extension, at least a modest level of familiarity.

I mean we could try and be productive and ask for output of stuff like lspci, lsusb or dmesg, but your focus seems to be on ranting rather than solving your problems.

Except I already did all of that but it does fuck all to resolve the actual problem. So I run some commands and I can see my hardware. Great. Now point me to the documentation that tells me how to install a driver for this fuckfest OS. Even Intel's crap docs don't say anything other than "compile the driver". What the fuck am I supposed to do with such useless comments?

Even Shitbuntu's recovery is useless. Can't find a network driver so go back to select the driver. Except that just gives you the same message again without being able to select or do anything. Nice loop.

Linshit is just a clusterfuck of incompetence. Again, its 2019. It is ridiculous that a user needs to know a million and one commands just to get a piece of hardware to work. This is shit that mostly worked with 2 clicks on Windows 2 decades ago.

Edit:
Right, so found some blog post on page 10 of google with some commands that seem to have worked. Well, worked in the sense that half the posted commands didn't work and the hardware doesn't get detected properly but at least there is network connectivity.

cd e1000e/src
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe e1000e

Why the hell isn't that described somewhere people can actually find it?

Last edited:
Because the goal was always to integrate this project with a different platform (that is running Linux) so all I would have to do is deliver software configurations with somebody else taking care of the rest. This hasn't happened yet so now I'm stuck doing both.

ON linux the term....

"compile the driver".

basically means

download package
make install package
and if it's a driver
sudo modprobe package

I'm not a full time linux user, but it's pretty clear to me your either,
- Not making any attempt to learn because you dont like linux ( personal bias)
- Being willfully difficult
- Just not equipped to install drivers on Linux - sorry i don't mean to make a personal attack, installing drivers on linux ISN'T a super simple process, i would never expect my parents to do it.
But i would expect any medium skilled computer professional to be able to do so..

Linux can be as confusing as all hell sometimes, and getting help is a VERY different process from other OS's,
but it can also more flexible and more powerful than other OS's too.

(sort of like learning in high school vs learning at university)

Because the goal was always to integrate this project with a different platform (that is running Linux) so all I would have to do is deliver software configurations with somebody else taking care of the rest. This hasn't happened yet so now I'm stuck doing both.

So you are stuck doing a job you have no skills to do. That has happened to a lot of people. However, the solution is not to whine about tools you do not understand, the solution is to either learn stuff fast or find other people to do the work you can't.

Maybe you could use FreeBSD rather than Linux?
It's a single OS with better documentation instead of multiple Linux distros usually with worse documentation.

Maybe you could use FreeBSD rather than Linux?
It's a single OS with better documentation instead of multiple Linux distros usually with worse documentation.

Do you really think that FreeBSD has better driver support than Linux?

Do you really think that FreeBSD has better driver support than Linux?
I think everybody here knows that FreeBSD has fewer drivers than Linux, but nobody really knows anything about tongue_of_colicab's project or hardware requirements.

I think everybody here knows that FreeBSD has fewer drivers than Linux, but nobody really knows anything about tongue_of_colicab's project or hardware requirements.
He himself is clueless it seems. But I can feel his pain. I myself had to use Windows for a while and that made me want to die. But I didn't blame Windows, just that I have been used to UNIX for so long that Windows is unusable for me (well except as a gaming OS that is).

Clueless is rather derogatory. He just doesn't know how to use Linux and had far too high expectations as to how easy it would be to achieve what he needs. You can't approach Linux the same way as windows where generally everything works as expected, drivers are readily available and install themselves (or are easy to install) and common tasks are more obvious.

Linux and the various flavors have come a long way since I first learnt to use it in Slackware with compiling everything from scratch, coding my own firewalls and scripts, modifying kernels. Package managers and repos have opened it up to many more users over the last decade or so with big improvements in compatibility and UI.

It's still not an easy OS to be thrown into though, especially on server version only. The vitriol he throws at it just because he doesn't understand how it works and his immediate expectations are not met are way overboard.

I can't stand using Windows as a server platform but I don't go around spewing hate towards it.

Clueless is rather derogatory.
Well that's how I call me about Windows, clueless :) And that's not the issue: the issue is using profanity and blame the OS when it likely is your own inability to solve issues that is the problem.

He just doesn't know how to use Linux and had far too high expectations as to how easy it would be to achieve what he needs. You can't approach Linux the same way as windows where generally everything works as expected, drivers are readily available and install themselves (or are easy to install) and common tasks are more obvious.
Historically (read before Windows Seven) I had more issues with installing Windows than Linux. And I'm still unable to solve any issue or doing any advanced administration on Windows machines. A question of education and experience.

-
Well that's how I call me about Windows, clueless :) And that's not the issue: the issue is using profanity and blame the OS when it likely is your own inability to solve issues that is the problem.

Historically (read before Windows Seven) I had more issues with installing Windows than Linux. And I'm still unable to solve any issue or doing any advanced administration on Windows machines. A question of education and experience.
well, Linux and Windows mingle very well, when you use Windows Active Directory -for user rights and account control- and Linux servers, at least from my experience. I had to learn to create an active directory using Linux machines as servers, a couple of years ago and it takes some administration to get it done, but it works very well.

I.e. for instance for a school organisation, where students and teachers have different rights for some folders. -say a teacher can read and write in a folder while a student can only read- or making some folders invisible to students..., etc, same for a company etc-

It is that time again. Had to touch Shittux again and of course ran into another load of shitty software design. Because Linshit.

X display server or whatever that fucking piece of crap is called. You'd think that after 30 years this diarrhea inducing sorry excuse for an OS would have gained the ability to change the resolution of the main TTY without to much fucking jumping though hoops. You though wrong. No, changing resolutions on a headless server is the most fucking impossible thing in the world. It just doesn't work. Oh and the documentation on Xorg, xinit, window managers and what not. Non existent. Yes you got your shitty man pages which the Linshit crows seems to be so proud of but what the fuck is the use a man page if it doesn't even include basic setup steps.

I seriously had to download a GB worth of shit just to get a window manager to run and then still Linux couldn't get its shit together and just allow me to set a resolution without shitting itself into oblivion. This shit is so laughably poorly built that even if you connect a monitor, have shit displayed on the monitor, Crappix and one if its billion commands will still refuse to gets it retarded code around that fact and detect a monitor. No fucking wonder changing resolution for a headless is so difficult when the basic stuff doesn't even work as expected.

Fuck Linux and fuck it's shittydevs.

Funny post. =)

I won't debate too much, though. For most things I do, I like more the Linux than the Windows way, but that is just me.

That is a nice attitude to people who are giving you software to use any way you like. Maybe you could pay a competent consultant to do things you are not capable of doing?

They are giving a giant shit sandwich I have to eat. Nothing to be grateful for.

Go on, explain to be how we should be happy about this piss poor software that not even has a semi comprehensible way of changing the resolution on a headless server. Explain to me how software stopping working just because a monitor is not connected anymore is a great thing. Tell me how X, xinit, xterm and a shitload of other packages that have no useful documentation and nowhere mention they rely on each other and are not installed by default are required just to get basic shit to semi-work. Which then of course breaks as soon as you disconnect a monitor.

Fact is you will not be able to point to official documentation that details how to change the resolution of the terminal on a headless server. Same goes for all that X shit.

Oh and lets not get into all the fucking dumbassery of window managers that you can start from the shell but cannot and return to the shell.

Back