Crackdown 3 [XO, XPA]

If old games are inherently bad for being outdated, why the hell did NES and SNES Classics sell so much?!
Good design is forever. People are just really enamored with the paint job and packaging. Myself included at times.

But looking back at the games that had the greatest pull on my life, those same titles are still being played today (CS, WoW, _ _ _ Craft, Minecraft etc). Except star control 2, not found a game like that since.

Should honestly consider twitch streaming that to bring it back to life.

yesterday I managed to get in some CD time in after my friends dropped off Apex. Expected to only play 10 minutes, ended up going 40 minutes chasing orb after orb and smashing area after area.

When are we doing co-op :V

Will check it out tonight. Thanks for the heads up. I'm disappointed the quackhammer doesn't feature quacking.

Also , does anyone else have random game freezes - seem to last about 5 to 10 seconds, though sound continues.

On console?

On PC, I've only experienced the typical Unreal Engine loading/streaming spikes when traversing.

Getting close to some level 4 abilities :)
Long way to go for level 6. :p

Last edited:
I did the last boss last night. Woof, what a way to finish the story. The building ascent was a bore and the final fight was a frustrating mess. After dying and restarting three times I called the quits, not worth the effort. I realized the shooting really really sucks for anything above the player. Looking up to shoot something does not work with the 3rd person camera. They need a tight over the shoulder aiming mode. Every time the game floods you with flying things the difficulty spikes because looking up and running around does not work, so you get shot too much or walk off a ledge. I also think relying on enemies to generate health is dumb. Once you get low health and there is no minion to shoot you are screwed. It would have been nice to have a health pack or something other than that lame health grenade that recharges too slowly.

Overall the game feel like a complete budget title or an incomplete AAA title. I feel like I played an extended demo where I finished island 1 of 3 and more character progression unlocks on island 2 & 3. I can see a wing suit for gliding from building to building, "supers" like an airstrike or helicopter assistance, air vehicles, etc. So many easy to envision ideas but they just recreated a 13 year old game on a small island, threw in some cheap cut-scenes and called it a day after FIVE years of development.

Indeed. Disappointing for the lost potential here.

I find it's still a fun game in its own right, but I'm hesitant to plunk down full price (shilled over a matter of $80 CAD :V)

------------

My main gripe with the shooting is that it doesn't flow well with multiple enemies.

If you're using toggle for aiming and you just kill a targeted enemy, the game engine still thinks you're in target mode, but you can't target anything until you untoggle, and it's not always clear on the state because the game doesn't alter FOV for ADS. Then another downside is that while the game thinks you're still in targeting mode after killing/destroying object, you can't grab ledges, so the flow is broken.

If you're using hold for aiming, you necessarily have to let go of the trigger before attempting to get a lock onto another object/enemy, which also breaks the flow until you get used to letting go of the trigger after every kill.

They need to implement the ability to swap targets with the right stick (default) while also needing to keep in mind that the precision limb targeting should take precedence before switching targets altogether.

If old games are inherently bad for being outdated, why the hell did NES and SNES Classics sell so much?!

They're not, but games are competing for time, as well as money. You could play C3, or you could have played Agents of Mayhem years ago that was largely similar, but more stylish and with interesting twists. It's on the shelf next to enormous games like AC:Odyssey and RDR2 with the same MSRP.

In addition, people want first party games to be tentpoles for a platform, not throw away junk food. And considering the convoluted development it's not like C3 was made on the cheap. Sony spends $80m and you get Spider-man. Microsoft spends $80m and you get... a mediocre Crackdown throwback. It's not hard to see why people feel burned for betting on Microsoft to take care of them.

Yeah, I'm effecively finished the action segments, and I'm trying to go orb hunting sector by sector, but there's only so much before I get tired of it in one session. Sidenote - it's kind of weird and slightly annoying that the travel map doesn't show the orb progress when loading initially from the main menu like it does normally when already in-game. I mentioned this on their discord channel, so maybe they'll improve it someday. Seems a bit of an oversight when deciding where to teleport at first.

I'm oddly maxed out already on melee and driving level - they must have had a much much lower amount of XP required since I didn't even use a character with those particular bonuses. Meanwhile, it's a struggle to max out the last 0.5 towards level 6 for ballistics and explosives.

This game … intended to maybe play 15 minutes to unwind, but ...

"oooh, an orb over there"
"oh, some baddies to wipe off the map too"
"lets hack that broadcast tower while here"
"oooh, a monorail to takeover too"
Three precincts deeper and over 2 hours later...

Fun, Fun, Fun!

This game … intended to maybe play 15 minutes to unwind, but ...

"oooh, an orb over there"
"oh, some baddies to wipe off the map too"
"lets hack that broadcast tower while here"
"oooh, a monorail to takeover too"
Three precincts deeper and over 2 hours later...

Fun, Fun, Fun!
To be fair, every open world game feels like that to me - untill their specific formula gets repetitive - C3 just seems to have less icon-hunting, which I don't take lightly by the way, I think that in itself is great!

Yeah I feel the same. I was impressed with the new SpiderMan at first as they seemed to have cut back on the whole 'lots of icons on the map' thing and I was quite happy to find the backpacks as I figured it was close to a one off, unfortunately as the game went on they added more and more icons which was a bit of a shame, but at least they didn't just have the starter map as a sea of icons which a few recent games have done.

I don't see how that can be anyone's take, considering there is no actual original commentary on the video at all. It's just clips of different things.

Anyways...

This game is fun. I finished the main campaign today and still feel the desire to go back to do a bit of the side items, like orb hunting, some races, and some stunt rings. Some of the stunt rings are in ridiculous places, so I'm curious enough to try to work out what needs to be done to get a vehicle there.

I was kind of hoping I could cheat a bit and throw the Agency car through some hoops and that would count...... but it doesn't :)

Was thinking while in the gym (anything to distract me!) what if you play coop and your friend is in the car, can you throw _them_ through hoops. hmm.... :)

Last edited:
I was kind of hoping I could cheat a bit and throw the Agency car through some hoops and that would count...... but it doesn't :)

Was thinking while in the gym (anything to distract me!) what if you play coop and your friend is in the car, can you throw _them_ through hoops. hmm.... :)

I tried the throwing the car too. No joy. :LOL:

Yes, co-op car carrying/throwing works, just need one person in the car when going through the ring.

Back