MS releases Xbox One S All Digital edition (No Optical Drive)

The image makes no sense. It looks the same size. Tag line is bait. Par for the course for windows central.

Why do you need a new console to use only DD? The slim forces you to own discs?

The image makes no sense. It looks the same size. Tag line is bait. Par for the course for windows central.

Why do you need a new console to use only DD? The slim forces you to own discs?

Obviously it's a cost cutting maneuver and should allow smaller form factor as well plus it would act as some type test/pipe cleaner for a similar next gen SKU.

Why doesn't the image make sense?
  1. Obviously a mockup.
  2. Doesn't have to shrink or change form factor. For amount of sales may not be worth that investment.
Why is tag line bait?
Its not really about how it looks, its about what it is.

My only problem with maverick is how they interpret how it does one way or the other. It's releasing close to end of gen, much like kinnect. I don't feel MS is very good at understanding the figures in context a lot of the time.
Example:
If it does well get rid of physical.
If it does badly, no point releasing diskless sku.

Well, after a new gen it´s launched there is a tail of sales of the old gen, and it´s served with the cheapest SKU, super slim, whatever. Moreover with Games with Gold and specially Game Pass you could enjoy for pennies hundreds of hours of gaming.

Besides, All this digital "investment" could be carried over to the next gen when the price it´s right for this kind of consumer.

Well, if Xcloud becomes a thing ever, they don´t even need to invest in the new gen anyway.

Obviously it's a cost cutting maneuver and should allow smaller form factor as well plus it would act as some type test/pipe cleaner for a similar next gen SKU.

What if this already is the streaming SKU for next gen? Its not like they really need anything else for streaming.

I’ll be curious to know if the hardware changes at all. Another process shrink maybe? Memory type changes maybe? since I think 16 DDR3 are a limiter on the form factor and maybe future cost.

Well, after a new gen it´s launched there is a tail of sales of the old gen, and it´s served with the cheapest SKU, super slim, whatever. Moreover with Games with Gold and specially Game Pass you could enjoy for pennies hundreds of hours of gaming.

Besides, All this digital "investment" could be carried over to the next gen when the price it´s right for this kind of consumer.

Well, if Xcloud becomes a thing ever, they don´t even need to invest in the new gen anyway.
There was a lot of talk by people like Brad, that it could be used to see if next gen could go with being totally diskless or not.

Imo ms gets lots of data, but is bad at interpreting it often.

Cost cutting sure, but it's certainly expected to be smaller than what that picture is showing.

Are we ready for a 7nm shrink? That would be a much smaller case, from the smaller psu and heatsink and lack of odd... But they need a PCB with much more layers.

Cost cutting sure, but it's certainly expected to be smaller than what that picture is showing.

Are we ready for a 7nm shrink? That would be a much smaller case, from the smaller psu and heatsink and lack of odd... But they need a PCB with much more layers.

Picture with the story is just a quick and dirty photoshop job, IMO, probably done by the article's author. Device should definitely be smaller than that and I bet they omit the S/PDIF, HDMI IN and IR blaster ports on this model as well, which would reduce the space needed on the rear for ports by half.

I don't understand prioritizing a cheaper Xbox One S, it's already dirt cheap second hand and still a poor value compared to the PS4. I would focus on a cheaper X to place decent visuals into the hands of more people and accelerate restoring the Xbox brand going into next gen.

For many less fortunate than us, price matters most. This is also targeted for those peeps.

I don't expect another shrink down to 7nm, the cost in time, money, resources to do that for how many Xbox one's are going to be sold from here on out doesn't seem worth it

Yes it's just a photoshop image.
Yes I think it could and would be nice for it to be in a smaller case
No I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the standard xbox one s case, pretty much like in image.

What would be nice if the XO's gpu could get an upto 10% boost, to smooth out the games, unpublishised just a revision.

I don't expect another shrink down to 7nm, the cost in time, money, resources to do that for how many Xbox one's are going to be sold from here on out doesn't seem worth it

Yes it's just a photoshop image.
Yes I think it could and would be nice for it to be in a smaller case
No I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the standard xbox one s case, pretty much like in image.

What would be nice if the XO's gpu could get an upto 10% boost, to smooth out the games, unpublishised just a revision.
unless streaming was part of this box as well, and you're not really left behind if you can pay for a service and stream to this box. It's got all the right things in it, controller etc. Still does a lot of BC and can still play a whole 3 generation of games without streaming.

if it's small enough and portable enough, it may fit the bill for some folks, what else can you reasonably do with this device other than streaming ;) all the video will be streaming... so... will the games then.

This is a primer for both disc-less and streaming services for sure.
hardcore folks need not apply. They want to get this price point down as much as they can.

Last edited:
Yeah, this could be an actual streaming box and a viable product for years to come. What's the smallest and cheapest a 7nm XB1S could be? How does that fair with other TV boxes?

PS2 super slim was introduced on the 7th year of PS2 and lasted for 6 years.

I could see the logic in all that.
Personally I think it would work out a lot cheaper and profitable for it to be an equivalent of Raspberry Pi type based machine for the streaming box.
It doesn't need to be able to run any games locally.

I'm not suggesting that they won't produce Xbox ones, just that the amount they will sell compared to cost of die shrink may not be worth it when anything will be able to stream games at the XO quality.

Personally I wouldn't mind shrink with minor upclock to smooth out the later years of XO as its really struggling.
I still don't expect a shrink but would like to be wrong

wouldn't be surprised to see it in the contract. And they should stop manufacturing the 1S once it's released. Not to mention Esram shrinks well IIRC.

1X and XBAD

The bigger the price difference there the better.
And that's all they should run until next gen imo.

Toss the 1X once the next gen arrives and you've got next gen + XBAD + streaming.

wouldn't be surprised to see it in the contract. And they should stop manufacturing the 1S once it's released. Not to mention Esram shrinks well IIRC.

1X and XBAD

The bigger the price difference there the better.
And that's all they should run until next gen imo.

Toss the 1X once the next gen arrives and you've got next gen + XBAD + streaming.
If they was to do this I would prefer scorpio engine shrunk down, moved from 12 to 8gb, and cu's cut and down clocked, slightly faster than the current 1S to give it a little legs.
Run in BC mode.
I don't know how much ddr3 is, but I expect it will only get more expensive comparatively. May not be worth it just too switch memory type

Not something I expect anyway though.

Good thing is we probably won't have to wait long to find out what's what.

Definitely agree with dropping the 1X asap, even though it is the best XO console.

Listened to Brad's podcast and he said it's the 1S without the drive, possibly 1S and it may be cost reduced internals which could mean a shrink but same shell.

If they was to do this I would prefer scorpio engine shrunk down, moved from 12 to 8gb, and cu's cut and down clocked, slightly faster than the current 1S to give it a little legs.
Run in BC mode.
I don't know how much ddr3 is, but I expect it will only get more expensive comparatively. May not be worth it just too switch memory type

Not something I expect anyway though.

Good thing is we probably won't have to wait long to find out what's what.

Definitely agree with dropping the 1X asap, even though it is the best XO console.

Listened to Brad's podcast and he said it's the 1S without the drive, possibly 1S and it may be cost reduced internals which could mean a shrink but same shell.
Well it would probably switch to DDR4 to avoid that issue if this SKU at 7nm does exist. It must change to be cost efficient.

Back